Pointless new standards - name and shame the "innovators".

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
But then your mates riding in front can't tell that you're rolling a section that they are pedalling, this is why they made hubs loud, it has nothing to do with the number of spanglers engaging the flower drum.
Generally it only lets em know I’m tanked

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Re-reading all five years' worth of this thread only serves to reinforce how much the word "standard" is misused and misunderstood. Most (but not all) things complained about are not standards at all, they're proprietary systems.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Re-reading all five years' worth of this thread only serves to reinforce how much the word "standard" is misused and misunderstood. Most (but not all) things complained about are not standards at all, they're proprietary systems.
you cant really be expecting australians to use english truly and correctly can you? i mean honestly, we butcher this language worse (better?) than any other nation dont we? :p

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Didnt realise the thread had been going 5 years .
I was being being flippant using the word "standards " because they are anything but standard .
It hasnt really improved in 5 years and the sheep are still passively supporting them by unquestioning by buying new bikes even though they dont know what boost or 12 speed is ?
what is behind proprietary systems
Is it
  1. Planned obsolescence by creating incompatibility ?
  2. An incremental attempt to improve things ?
  3. An attempt to cause brand loyalty like frequent flyer points.?
  4. An attempt to create an arbitrary fashion but argue it is logical ?
  5. The result of patents and restricting intellectual property?
Any other ideas .
as I said before I have too much time at present due to injuries ,so if this is all too much to think about go to the next thread titled " I wanna buy a new bike what is the best?"
I hope it is mainly 2 . the cynic in me says its all 5 and more?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Didnt realise the thread had been going 5 years .
I was being being flippant using the word "standards " because they are anything but standard .
It hasnt really improved in 5 years and the sheep are still passively supporting them by unquestioning by buying new bikes even though they dont know what boost or 12 speed is ?
what is behind proprietary systems
Is it
  1. Planned obsolescence by creating incompatibility ?
  2. An incremental attempt to improve things ?
  3. An attempt to cause brand loyalty like frequent flyer points.?
  4. An attempt to create an arbitrary fashion but argue it is logical ?
  5. The result of patents and restricting intellectual property?
Any other ideas .
as I said before I have too much time at present due to injuries ,so if this is all too much to think about go to the next thread titled " I wanna buy a new bike what is the best?"
I hope it is mainly 2 . the cynic in me says its all 5 and more?
Car and motorbike manufacturers have been doing it forever.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
All this crap is a minefield for new players......

I have no idea what Boost is, none.

What i do know is that there's serious money in bicycles! holy fuck they can get expensive, someone said here somewhere "mtb is the new golf" and that's a serious problem, these greedy fuckers that manufacture bikes and parts are all desperate to lock customers into their product, hence all the new "innovations" it's all bullshit, of course, it's just marketing speak for " how do we stop them spending their money elsewhere?"

If manufacturers view their customers as walking ATM's and believe we're all fashion desperate suckers who will pay $150 for a billet short stem FFS then before i spend another cent i'll be doing a weeks solid research to make sure i'm not painting myself into a corner with my choice.

Yeah, they're all cunts.......

Flow-Rider

Burner
Mountain biking is as expensive as you want it to be, no one has a gun to your head to buy the latest and greatest. A lot of people believe the shite they read online and are way overbiked for their needs but that's their prerogative, without them I wouldn't find cheap secondhand deals around. Whatever you go through a lot of, (chains, tubes, brake pads & Etc.) buy it in bulk online when they have sales rather than at the LBS individually where it will usually cost you an arm and a leg.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Mountain biking is as expensive as you want it to be, no one has a gun to your head to buy the latest and greatest. A lot of people believe the shite they read online and are way overbiked for their needs but that's their prerogative, without them I wouldn't find cheap secondhand deals around. Whatever you go through a lot of, (chains, tubes, brake pads & Etc.) buy it in bulk online when they have sales rather than at the LBS individually where it will usually cost you an arm and a leg.
Yep. absolutely agree, but i said they can get expensive, and my point is that someone can buy a certain brand with no idea what they're getting into only to find down the line they are trapped with HAVING to buy that particular brand as a part with no option because of some proprietary design that they implement and claim it's brilliant/ingenious/innovative when really it's only function is to stop the customer replacing it with an alternative brand...
Remember that just because you're up to speed with every mod and new item that comes along doesn't mean a noob buying his first bike is, most, like me, have absolutely no idea what we're looking at when we start shopping, and even 5 years on i'm still lost on most of it, probably until i need to replace something and get told "sorry sir, that needs to be the same brand as your bike as it's patented" etc.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
. A lot of people believe the shite they read online and are way overbiked for their needs but that's their prerogative, without them I wouldn't find cheap secondhand deals around.
Agree. As much as I try to support the lbs for repairs some things are outrageously marked up.
The problems of living in a high wage high rent economy its OK unless your income is stuck or a big mortgage.