Pole Bikes

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Despite the failure, still a pretty good review. Fastest bike by miles.

I don't feel like PB exaggerated or focussed on the breakage at all. Leo's response was completely unnecessary and has really fuelled the comments on PB.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Fastest for one tester. Optic was fastest for kazimer.

By all accounts a bloody good bike, but damn what a wanker!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think they look stunning and the geometry is very appealing. Two issues for me are around customer service / warranty delays. From reports online it seems they're not too hot in this area.

I'd decline to buy a bike like that unless I could afford to have extended periods of downtime or warranty rejection for valid claims.

It's a shame as it really does look great and from this review, the ride backs it up.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It's not hard to understand his perspective on this, the ENVE hit left a lasting impression despite it being one aspect of their entire range. His last run in with pinkbike was them unexpectedly reviewing something he hadn't put up for review as well.

He's also been very invested in the mtb community (not just in the founding of his own company) and you can see that in how actively he responds to questions and queries put to him and how much he shares knowledge.

Trying to get ahead of possible negative press is now somehow ignoble? I personally never read a whiney tone in his announcement, if anything he was very direct and transparent as to why he was writing it, and the specifics of the problem encountered.
It's not hard to understand his perspective on this, the ENVE hit left a lasting impression despite it being one aspect of their entire range. His last run in with pinkbike was them unexpectedly reviewing something he hadn't put up for review as well.

He's also been very invested in the mtb community (not just in the founding of his own company) and you can see that in how actively he responds to questions and queries put to him and how much he shares knowledge.

Trying to get ahead of possible negative press is now somehow ignoble? I personally never read a whiney tone in his announcement, if anything he was very direct and transparent as to why he was writing it, and the specifics of the problem encountered.
all he had to do was leave out the dig he took at pb. It’s his fuckup not theirs. His post was great till that point, then he lets rip with his little “they aren’t to be trusted, everyone loves drama reeeeeee fake news”

I was rooting for the stamina. Good bike, don’t let engineers talk to the public aha.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I have a feeling that there's an element of mistranslation in his use of the word 'scandal' - in US/UK/Australian parlance it tends to refer to something pretty seedy and underhand.

Whereas in German for example it has a less dramatic tone. Finnish may be similar.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Fastest bike by miles
.... For one rider out of a sample size of two .... which, on that basis you could even more conclusively say "pole bikes break" on a one out of one sample size ....

It'd be a cracker of a bike but the poor (pre) response by the owner of the company seems to correlate with some less than satisfied customers from a warranty/support perspective. I hope they sort out their growing pains soon and become a mainstay in the boutique bike market.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
To me fastest is not the point that can be fudged and it would be v slow where I live due to its length.
The thing that intrigues me "is this the future of geometry ?" and the bonding of the 2 halves is out there.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To me fastest is not the point that can be fudged and it would be v slow where I live due to its length.
I had the same feeling, it would be pretty useless for most people within Australia for the lower speed, slow stuff.
we are not a nation full of big mountain descents.

animalman86

Likes Bikes
.... For one rider out of a sample size of two .... which, on that basis you could even more conclusively say "pole bikes break" on a one out of one sample size ....

It'd be a cracker of a bike but the poor (pre) response by the owner of the company seems to correlate with some less than satisfied customers from a warranty/support perspective. I hope they sort out their growing pains soon and become a mainstay in the boutique bike market.
Agreed. I was also commenting based on their review. Looks like it was the best handling on the downs but least poppy etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

D01

Likes Dirt
As excruciating as Pole's reply was, it's still more tactful than Zerodes reply to Levys review of the Taniwha.

"BUT Mike does not know how to ride a bike!"

Reviewers that can't ride, now that's a scandal.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
As excruciating as Pole's reply was, it's still more tactful than Zerodes reply to Levys review of the Taniwha.

"BUT Mike does not know how to ride a bike!"

Reviewers that can't ride, now that's a scandal.
That one's kinda funny

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Rode my new used frame Avanti Torrent today on my technical stuff .
Has dropper + longer seat so it can be slid forward .
Sliding seat forward resembles what Pole is trying to do ie move weight forward= more traction.+ further forward v bottom bracket when climbing , yep seems to work.

BB1

Likes Dirt
I'm a bit late to this party, but for what it's worth... when I brought the G15 I got stung for import fees and duties. But I was expecting it, just hoping to get away with it! The shipping company made it very easy in terms of processing and getting the shipment delivered though.

The G15 was surprisingly easy to ride in the "normal" tracks, although it never felt fast as such - just a bit more rig to throw around, but not cumbersome. Surprisingly, in line with rowdyflat comments above, I actually felt it was faster in some of the tight bits as my weight was in the right spot to get the front wheel tracking. I've never cornered better. I struggle to think of anything that would come close to giving me the confidence to hit steep technical stuff that the G15 does. I'm on a smaller bike for my local tracks as those rides aren't about out and out speed, but as a race bike damn the new geometry rocks.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I had the same feeling, it would be pretty useless for most people within Australia for the lower speed, slow stuff.
Dunno I aim to have a bike that hauls in the fun rocky rooty shit that makes up the best 10% of my otherwise meh local loop. My bike that is great in the boring stuff broke in the good stuff very quickly. When I travel to ride the stuff I love I want high speed nasty shit performance. I understand not everyone enjoys riding on the edge like that, but I know a heap of riders that seek it out and love a bike that handles in it.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep the do it all bike that is more enduro than trail doesn’t sound much fun on the average local loop..

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dunno I aim to have a bike that hauls in the fun rocky rooty shit that makes up the best 10% of my otherwise meh local loop. My bike that is great in the boring stuff broke in the good stuff very quickly. When I travel to ride the stuff I love I want high speed nasty shit performance. I understand not everyone enjoys riding on the edge like that, but I know a heap of riders that seek it out and love a bike that handles in it.
Understand this completely, I’m just the opposite in that I’d want a bike that suits the riding I am regularly doing 90% of the time and deal with the teeth rattling on the 10%