Pole Evolink 150 - 27.5"

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I would absolutely love to touch your pole....
Why not run the dropper with mount on the drive side to shorten/clean the housing run?:rolleyes:
Can't be assed changing it... have to remove the seat to do that. Haha.

First ride at Mt. Buller today, ride report to come.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Wow, looks so different. Even to the pictures posted in the online reviews I've seen. Keen for the ride report!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I like them, they looked funny at first but it's grown on me. Nearly like the Vassago 'wetcat' geo... long and low. You'll need good skill to hit lippy jumps on it.

What size of frame is that ? looks big even for the long wheelbase.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Wow, looks so different. Even to the pictures posted in the online reviews I've seen. Keen for the ride report!
Might be that 95% of articles about Pole over the last year have been about the 140mm 29er, and not the 150mm 27.5 version? I think the 27.5 looks better!

That thing looks awesome!
Did you ever think so many people would be interested in your Pole?
Oh, had a feeling... It's not something majority of riders see every day! Personally I like seeing stuff that's out of the ordinary. :)

I like them, they looked funny at first but it's grown on me. Nearly like the Vassago 'wetcat' geo... long and low. You'll need good skill to hit lippy jumps on it.

What size of frame is that ? looks big even for the long wheelbase.
Man, I look at regular bikes, even past bikes I've had and they all look so cramped and weird now!

I was hitting all the jumps on ABOM at Buller except the first (newish) double, but only cause I fell a touch short on it last year and ended up having a minor crash. There's some jumps around the half way mark which have been built up a fair bit this year and are quite lippy now. I was finding they were kicking up the rear end a touch and I was coming down nose heavy.

However being so long and slack I never once felt like I was gonna go OTB. Even once when I far over shot the second one and came down super nose heavy. It just took it and I kept going like it was no biggie! Any other bike and I'd have gone over for sure.

Unsure if a little more rebound damping on the rear end would help reduce that kick or not, but yeah...

The frame is a large. It has a reach of 510mm, plus the 50mm stem. I almost got an XL, but thought the reach on the large is more than the reach on the XL Ragley MmmBop I was on, which felt pretty good to me. Based on Pole's guidelines, I was bang in the middle of L and XL with my height, and Pole advise to size down in such a situation, so I did and it feels perfect.

As for a ride report, I can only really talk about the descending at the moment as we were doing chairlift runs at Buller.

I could really feel the length of the bike along the straights, it was stupid stable. I felt more solid than I do on the DH bike, despite the lack of travel in the rear end to soak up all the rough.

Cornering was tough at first, I really felt like I had to muscle the bike through the turns and I was on the brakes a lot. After four or so runs though, I started to get it, and after some small body positioning adjustment I was able to rail the turns with more confidence.

I'm not too keen on the Monarch Plus, as I'm accustomed to coil shocks... I just found it quite harsh, even at 30% sag. I was using every millimetre of available travel! It's also nowhere near as adjustable as the CCDB Coil CS I had on the Spitfire. I think in time I'll sell the Monarch Plus and get another coil shock, or a nicer air shock like a Fox X2. I've just never been overly impressed with any RockShox components.

I'll be riding at Forrest in the Otways on Friday, so I'll have an opportunity to see how the bike goes on more undulating terrain and will be able to comment on climbing performance and more all-round riding.

More to come!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So, I had a ride at Forrest as planned.

I rode everything on the south side of town, as I didn't have the time or energy to scope out the northern trails.
I'm pretty impressed with this machine overall. The only downside I've discovered so far is getting around tight twisty stuff on climbs, where the long wheelbase makes it so you need to muscle the bike a bit more and change your line to accommodate the bike's length without riding off track or cutting corners.

The steep seat tube really gives the bike a nice riding position when seated, despite the really long front triangle... so she actually climbs really well, and outside of the long wheelbase I don't think it really felt all that much different to most other bikes I've ridden while climbing. There's some quite noticeable pedal bob during seated climbing, but I only really noticed/felt it when running the Monarch with firm compression... surprisingly.
I've no doubt it's there in the other compression settings, but I just didn't feel it to the same extent.

The trails I rode at Forrest didn't have too much in the way of technicality in the climbs, so I can't comment on the head angle assisting with obstable rollover as claimed by Pole, so there's definitely more to experience on this bike.

So far it's a stable weapon on the downhills and almost like any other bike through the climbs and I really have no major complaints about its ride quality or performance.

The main complaint I have with the bike isn't related to riding it.
But, the 'foldable'... uh... 'feature' (?) of this frame by removing a linkage bolt for ease of transportation, I found did not work as marketed.
I have the shifter cable and rear brake hose running out of the front triangle and up to the seat stays, as this way appears to work best for Shimano calipers and derailleurs. To fold the frame as marketed, both the caliper and derailleur need to be removed from the frame, as there's not enough cable slack to fold the frame around.

With SRAM components, however... routing internally through the chainstays and allowing ~5cm extra hose length allows you to fold the frame as marketed/advertised.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice rig! I must have missed this getting caught up in the festive season. Definitely unique. Hope to see it in the flesh at a shuttle day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Should do! I'll be at Bright this coming Saturday... :cool:

Speaking of... I should probably make a booking...

Otherwise I'm sure I'll pop up at a Youies shuttle in Feb!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Sweet! Bike of the day on Vital mtb.
Just saw that this morning! Yeow!

Every Pole that has been added to their bike check has received Bike Of The Day so far.
Assuming because they're so uncommon!

Good to see anyway.
My third Bike Of The Day! Woot.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So after riding at Bright a couple weeks back, I've decided that the Pole is so capable and fun that it was time to say goodbye to the DH sled.

I've dismantled my DH bike and have been slowly selling off the parts, minus the 203 rotor from the front of the Makulu, along with the Saint brakes, which I just transferred to the Pole.

At Buller I was finding myself burning the 180 rear rotor with my XT and it was starting to go black!

So, big boy brakes ahoy!
Also replaced the chain, as the existing one I had was too short, and was way too close to ripping off the derailleur in the 42t than I was comfortable with... Full 116 links is almost bang on. Could probably get away with removing one link, but it doesn't really matter.

Z

Zaf

Did you buy a bearing kit for it as part of the initial order?
In any case do you have any idea what the bearing dimensions are? Do they seem fitting for such a large pivot point? How well protected from the elements are they?

Just flirting with options in case the Raaw Madonna doesn't pull through, and remembering all too well how under gunned the Yeti SB66 switch pivot bearings are for the area they put them in.

Also looks like Pole have added an "AU only" version of the Evolink 140 which jumps the price up another 200euro :\