Polygon Siskiu N9

• Thread starter Deleted member FN2187
  • Start date
D

Deleted member FN2187

Getting right back into the swing of things. I picked this up last week and saved a heap of cash during the bicycles online sale. I have never seen so much bike for the money. It's like buying a build kit and getting a frame thrown in for free. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but this weekend it will have its first outing.

I've spent my time modifying the bike with my preferred components. Typical things like bars, stem, cranks, pedals, seatpost and saddle. I also replaced the disc rotors as I had some XT ice tech rotors laying about. Strangely the stock rotors were both 180mm. I put a 200mm rotor on the front because I'm a big rig. I'm not a big fan of sram components but the GX eagle 12 speed will stay on the bike until something goes wrong, and then it's Shimano time. The TRP Slate 4 piston brakes will stay put but I might upgrade to some sintered Shimano Saint brake pads as they are compatible.

The paint on the frame is really thin as a few other people have already reported. I took a tiny chip out of the frame putting it into my bike rack. So as a precaution, I have covered all of the major tube surfaces of the frame with Gorilla clear protection tape. It's not to everyone's taste but I've also put a mudguard on the down tube as an added bit of stone protection, because Canberra.

There are a lot of overviews online about these bikes but I don't feel like anybody has truly expanded on what they are like to ride. once I have a good feel for the bike I'll do a write up in the product reviews section.

Spec list is as follows:
Frame: XL Polygon Siskiu N9
Fork: Fox 36 Rhythm
Shock: Fox Float DPx2
Brakes: TRP Slate 4
Wheelset: Entity XL2
Tyres: Schwalbe Magic Mary Soft 2.3
Drivetrain: SRAM GX Eagle
Cranks: Shimano SLX
Pedals: Shimano DX
Seatpost: X fusion manic 150mm
Saddle: Specialized body geo
Stem: DMR Defy 50
Bars: Shimano FRS 800x40
Grips: ODI Sensus

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
View attachment 354626

Getting right back into the swing of things. I picked this up last week and saved a heap of cash during the bicycles online sale. I have never seen so much bike for the money. It's like buying a build kit and getting a frame thrown in for free. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but this weekend it will have its first outing.

I've spent my time modifying the bike with my preferred components. Typical things like bars, stem, cranks, pedals, seatpost and saddle. I also replaced the disc rotors as I had some XT ice tech rotors laying about. Strangely the stock rotors were both 180mm. I put a 200mm rotor on the front because I'm a big rig. I'm not a big fan of sram components but the GX eagle 12 speed will stay on the bike until something goes wrong, and then it's Shimano time. The TRP Slate 4 piston brakes will stay put but I might upgrade to some sintered Shimano Saint brake pads as they are compatible.

The paint on the frame is really thin as a few other people have already reported. I took a tiny chip out of the frame putting it into my bike rack. So as a precaution, If I have covered all of the major tube surfaces of the frame with gorillas clear protection tape. It's not to everyone's taste but I've also put a mudguard on the down tube as an added bit of stone protection because Canberra.

There are a lot of overviews online about these bikes but I don't feel like anybody has truly expanded on what they are like to ride. once I have a good feel for the bike I'll do a write up in the product reviews section.

Spec list is as follows:
Frame: XL Polygon Siskiu N9
Fork: Fox 36 Rhythm
Shock: Fox Float DPx2
Brakes: TRP Slate 4
Wheelset: Entity XL2
Tyres: Schwalbe Magic Mary Soft 2.3
Drivetrain: SRAM GX Eagle
Cranks: Shimano SLX
Pedals: Shimano DX
Seatpost: X fusion manic 150mm
Saddle: Specialized body geo
Stem: DMR Defy 50
Bars: Shimano FRS 800x40
Grips: ODI Sensus

View attachment 354618View attachment 354619View attachment 354620View attachment 354621View attachment 354622View attachment 354623View attachment 354624View attachment 354625View attachment 354626
You might be pleasantly surprised by the Slates. I just fitted the big brother Quadiems to my Sam and really like the solid feel. Not liking the trp pads so far but maybe they need some more time to bed in.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
You might be pleasantly surprised by the Slates. I just fitted the big brother Quadiems to my Sam and really like the solid feel. Not liking the trp pads so far but maybe they need some more time to bed in.
great brakes but company loves organic pads for some reason..must be vegans

teK--

Eats Squid

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Those Quadiem pads take forever to bed in! But you will know oncr they do. Saint pads also fit (the non finned ones)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Those Quadiem pads take forever to bed in! But you will know oncr they do. Saint pads also fit (the non finned ones)
Yeah I'll give it a few more rides. I have the Uberbike racematrix and Trickstuff power+ pads to try out next. Woot!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'll give it a few more rides. I have the Uberbike racematrix and Trickstuff power+ pads to try out next. Woot!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Please provide feedback on those pads if you use them. I've got Tektro Orion's on my bike, and they take the same pads.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It's like buying a build kit and getting a frame thrown in for free.
I had to have a sniff around the internet to see what the N9s are going for..... that is a stupid amount of bike for the money.

Also keen to see an actual review of one of these. Several years ago AMB did a longish term test of one of the early Polygons (one of the convoluted and really, really ugly ones) including pulling it to pieces and found really tight frame tolerances, decent bearings etc. so unless they've forgotten all that it'll be interesting to see how a longer term test pans out.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I reckon these are a great looking bike. Like many others, also keen to hear more from your long term review.

From the look of the backyard I think you need to n+1 with a trials bike though!

D

Deleted member FN2187

First ride after work today. Was only a quick one at Tuggeranong pines and things are looking good. Like all great single pivot suspension designs, the bike carries speed really well and is very poppy. It's no steamroller, it just springs over everything. I haven't ridden it through any serious braking bumps or rocky chunder but I feel this is where it may come unstuck, like all single pivot designs. Tomorrow we will see.

The bike climbs really well too. I do recommend setting the bike up on the firm side so. It helps get your weight forward and keeps the bike higher in its travel. It feels much lighter than it looks. Brakes are ok for not being bed in yet. Decent modulation, can't comment on power yet.

Only complaint is it requires a fair amount of precision when riding quick. It tips in to corners very easily. That being said, if the reach were a bit longer it'd be perfect. Maybe size up if you're on a smaller frame than an XL.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Ride report #2: Suspension and tyre pressure adjustments. Suspension adjustments are limited as you'd expect on lower spec units. Only 1 rebound and 1 compression adjuster at each end. As I predicted the other day, the rear hangs up on the faster choppy sections and gets a bit wild. I've slowed the rebound and opened up the compression in the rear to stop it from pinging around too much. The fork is excellent. I hammered the bike today and no bottoming out occurred. I've dropped a little more pressure in the tyres. I'm very happy with the schwalbes. Very stable and predictable. I've been able to catch several 'moments'.

I get the impression this bike will suit the average punter down to the ground. It's super fun and forgiving. It's rewarding to ride and allows you to get away with murder. I've rolled out of a few, let's say 'interesting' line choices. It loves to get airborne and is very stable when landing. The only negative I took away from today is the same thing I felt in my last update. The bike is quite nervous when you start pushing the speed. That comes down to the highish BB and moderate reach. Slack yes, long and low no. If you are a faster rider and are expecting a mini DH bike or a flatout enduro race machine you'll be disappointed. But if you want a super fun, efficient and capable trail bike. Look no further.