Polygon Trid ZZ, anyone seen one?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Started hunting around for a DJ bike and came across these Polygon Trid ZZ bikes http://www.polygonbikes.com/ww/bikes/description/2017-trid-zz#spec

The spec looks pretty impressive and price is ok , under 2k delivered. I wasnt really considering a slopestyle bike like this but this has peaked my interest. Has anyone seen one, ridden one, would it be overkill for street style riding?

I was looking at getting a inspired street trials, but also want to do dirt jumping.. and the suspension forks would be a godsend for my bad wrists. Any advice would be awesome.

cheers

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Far Out! That is a steal, search over. Great looking frame, spec is awesome for that price, and the bicycles online team are pretty good to deal with. Unless you had your heart set on something rigid, sweep it up!

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
wary just on this build or in general? I really like my pike on all-mountain bikes
In general. And its not the pike but specifically the pike dj. Not super helpful to say that quite a few people have had issues... but i only know one local with them... and quite a few people have had issues.
When they work, by all accounts very nice. Kind of 50/50 if they'll work properly tho.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I would be very wary of the pike dj.
In general. And its not the pike but specifically the pike dj. Not super helpful to say that quite a few people have had issues... but i only know one local with them... and quite a few people have had issues.
When they work, by all accounts very nice. Kind of 50/50 if they'll work properly tho.
One of my gang runs the pike DJ on his trek ticket. He is well pumped about it. He isn't very heavy though. I always felt it should have a 20mm axle.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
One of my gang runs the pike DJ on his trek ticket. He is well pumped about it. He isn't very heavy though. I always felt it should have a 20mm axle.
20mm axle should never have gone away.

All the guys breaking pikes that I've seen have been big hitters doing big stuff. If they weren't so expensive I'd run one. Every fork breaks, nothing in mtb has ever been as strong as bmx, and when people ride these like bmx's things break.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
20mm axle should never have gone away.

All the guys breaking pikes that I've seen have been big hitters doing big stuff. If they weren't so expensive I'd run one. Every fork breaks, nothing in mtb has ever been as strong as bmx, and when people ride these like bmx's things break.
There's not breaking from abuse... i don't personally know the guy, but I've seem loads of his videos and he talks about them frequently. The damper had a known issue where it just exploded. And the steerer comes loose. And there's some creak in them that just appears. The travel doesn't work properly and rebound goes full speed.
Not that they're talking huge hits and breaking in half. The 2015 was well known for being garbage. Seems only half the issues were fixed for 2016. The aforementioned dude has had two sets, both haven gone in for multiple warranty repair. Two of his buddies had the same issues. One friend has never had a problem. There are plenty of dudes who never have issues.
But for the money, i wouldn't bother.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Hahaha, my wife is pissed now. It is my 40th soon and I showed her this because she asked what I wanted :thumb:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hahaha, my wife is pissed now. It is my 40th soon and I showed her this because she asked what I wanted :thumb:
You just need to highlight the amazing value you're achieving. If you wanted to build a similar bike up (which I've done a few times) you'll be struggling to get away with it for under $5K.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There's not breaking from abuse... i don't personally know the guy, but I've seem loads of his videos and he talks about them frequently. The damper had a known issue where it just exploded. And the steerer comes loose. And there's some creak in them that just appears. The travel doesn't work properly and rebound goes full speed.
Not that they're talking huge hits and breaking in half. The 2015 was well known for being garbage. Seems only half the issues were fixed for 2016. The aforementioned dude has had two sets, both haven gone in for multiple warranty repair. Two of his buddies had the same issues. One friend has never had a problem. There are plenty of dudes who never have issues.
But for the money, i wouldn't bother.
I'd buy a different fork too, in fact I have...every time. But the fork has as much good rep as bad and the chances are this won't be an issue either. If it is...warranty is there for a reason.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Awesome! Let us know what it's like! My b'day is also soon, but my wife would just roll her eyes if I mentioned it! haha

I'm scratching my head wondering if I got something like this and it was not what I thought, what am I going to loose. As already mentioned, the fork is probably worth $1000, shock $4-500? the rest of the build looks pretty nothing... hmmm

should I just hang tight and build a two6player or quinnie...

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
nah, by it first and see how it goes. Then if you don't like it you can pick up a frame and transfer stuff over.

Win-win.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Buy it and if you don't like it, return it. Bicycles Online lets you return bikes within 2 weeks.

PP- yeah i dig the warranty, but it means time without your bike. May never get fixed either. Honestly for $400 you simply cannot get a better fork than a Circus Expert. I'd get an X-Fusion second tho. Wasn't really that impressed with the 36 831. I think I'm too small for it. I literally never feel flex on my 32s with qr, dt thru axle tho.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Buy it and if you don't like it, return it. Bicycles Online lets you return bikes within 2 weeks.

PP- yeah i dig the warranty, but it means time without your bike. May never get fixed either. Honestly for $400 you simply cannot get a better fork than a Circus Expert. I'd get an X-Fusion second tho. Wasn't really that impressed with the 36 831. I think I'm too small for it. I literally never feel flex on my 32s with qr, dt thru axle tho.
I'm with you on the circus, it's a sick fork for the cash. A few chums have them and they look, feel, and tunability is great. If you're afraid of busting them, buy 2 and you're still ahead...I personally run a fox 36 Talas set at 120mm. I have no complaints other than the regular need of servicing. I'll always wish I had one of the late model Marzocchi 55CR slope forks. For this type of riding Marzocchi have long had their shit dialled.

What's not to like about this bike as a whole? It is a very close copy of the trek ticket s and also the old nuke proof slope style frame, as well as some similarities to the rocky mountain slayer ss. It can be ridden on street, jumps, skate park, or trails with a few adjustments to shock and tyre pressures. Down sides are that a full rigid single speed dj bike is a lot less fuss...which is great if you're hucking a lot of concrete klunker style. If you're not, this is just a lot of fun with a little comfort factor thrown in.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
It can be ridden on street, jumps, skate park, or trails with a few adjustments to shock and tyre pressures. Down sides are that a full rigid single speed dj bike is a lot less fuss...which is great if you're hucking a lot of concrete klunker style. If you're not, this is just a lot of fun with a little comfort factor thrown in.
I really like the idea of a Slopestyle bike, but the advantages seem so few over a Dirt Jump hardtail.
My Hardtail DJ with my forks dropped to 80mm is still a big bike to handle on BMX jumps, and any bigger jumps where it would be nice to have rear suspension to soften the landing, have enough brake bumps and tree roots to make a plusher bike seem more appropriate

Could you get small-medium bump compliance on one of these things and not lose that firm jumping platform that they are designed to have?