Polygon

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey burners! A mate of mine is in the market for a dually, nothing special, just something to putt around The Wombat on. Around the $1000 mark. He was looking in the second hand market, but I saw this http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/20...y-mountain-bike-4-7-travel-shimano-slx-deore/ Seems pretty good for the coin. Whaddya reckon?? Decent value for money? or should he stick to the second hand market to get something older with better spec? plateau4small__55512_1357701172_1280_1280.jpg

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Second hand market is unreal, but only if you have someone buying that knows what they're looking for/at, and what precautionary questions to ask. Buyers market. Also don't be shy to haggle at shops, they're still happy to get your money. and you get warranty then.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Second hand market is unreal, but only if you have someone buying that knows what they're looking for/at, and what precautionary questions to ask. Buyers market. Also don't be shy to haggle at shops, they're still happy to get your money. and you get warranty then.
I'd be looking at them with him, so would be sorted there. However the warranty side of it is pretty appealing as you said. 5yr on the frame and 2 on parts.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
i bought one of the polygon hardtail 29ers earlier this year. I still cant believe the value every time i get on and ride it (Which has been heaps), its an awesome bike and one of the best bike purchases i ever made. Second hand is a minefield if you don't know what to look for. For peace of mind for a beginner i would go the polygon.

onlock

Likes Bikes
im in a similar situation where ill be looking at buying a am bike soon. iv looked at the polygons as a cheap new bike which would probably be more than enough. but having looked at some of the 2nd hand bikes available it seems you can pick up a bike that's only a yr or 2 old for half the retail price of what they were new and could possibly get something with better gear standard compared to new. would what be some of the things you would look for on a 2nd hand bike as far as wear and tear goes? obviously theres some pretty thrashed looking bikes but others with barely and marks and seemed to of been kept tidy and looked tidy.

or is there a link to a what to look for when buying 2nd hand?

evil_duffman

Likes Dirt
Go for it

That looks like a decent bike for $1000.

I would normally steer clear of cheap (new) dual sus bikes but polygon seem to have the goods for value.
There is also nothing like a brand new bike and you don't have any nasty surprises with worn parts or risk of a bad deal, and best of all if you don't like it after while you can sell it to recover some costs and know what to look for next time.

I'm a big fan of buying gear second hand on this site and had some killer deals but I have also made a couple of bad choices too.

make a list of pro's and con's to what's important in a bike and weigh up the options.
Good spec - over rated, it just gets trashed and replaced anyway.
Good frame - Very important, but personal choice to what suits you.
Good deal - Hard to pass
New bike - new is nice, and fun to upgrade.

Hope this helps to think about a few things.
Good luck with the hunting.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
im in a similar situation where ill be looking at buying a am bike soon. iv looked at the polygons as a cheap new bike which would probably be more than enough. but having looked at some of the 2nd hand bikes available it seems you can pick up a bike that's only a yr or 2 old for half the retail price of what they were new and could possibly get something with better gear standard compared to new. would what be some of the things you would look for on a 2nd hand bike as far as wear and tear goes? obviously theres some pretty thrashed looking bikes but others with barely and marks and seemed to of been kept tidy and looked tidy.

or is there a link to a what to look for when buying 2nd hand?
Not sure about a link. I'd be checking the rear deraillure/jockey wheels for wear, make sure the seals on the forks/rear shock aren't leaking large amounts of oil, and look for wear/cleanliness on chain/cassette. Buckled wheels etc too.

onlock

Likes Bikes
very much the same stuff as looking at a 2nd hand moto then really with the added derailer doovalacky

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I didn't look at the spec of it. But most OEM stuff, on cheaper bikes, no matter what brand from, is pretty crap. Good condition higher class second hand is better IMO.
New 27" wheel fad is going to flood the market with cheap 26ers real soon. I'd encourage him to buy a good speced $4-500 hardtail junker he can turn into a spare and wait a few more months.
For example, some of the bushing slop on new cheap bike forks I've seen is disgusting. I'd be ashamed selling them to someone thinking they're getting a great bike. Polygon may make some great well specced cheap bikes, but I'd not take it as a golden rule.
LOL, I wrote so much, I should've just looked at the specs.
Edit. Had a quick look. I'd buy second hand. I think you'd get a better performing bike. The bigger Polygons I'd buy.
But on the flip side, it's your mate, and you don't want to be responsible for anything that goes wrong, when he could take a new bike to the place of purchase.

Last edited:

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
so with the choice of say a new one of these
http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/20...ntry-mountain-bike-4-7-travel-shimano-xt-slx/
or a second hand one of these
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?263859-2011-Merida-NinetySix-3000D

obviously a very similar price bracket. but some significant spec differences. which way would you go?
Based on what some of the fellas have said on this thread i'd go the Polygon. New, good spec, warranty=peace of mind......sounds good to me. Good luck dude!