Popping my rotorburn cherry

Petero

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Just thought I should make my first post here and introduce myself.

I recently decided to get back onto a bike. It's been a few years since I was last on the saddle with most of my riding being commuting, little bush trails in the metro area and homemade jumps (as kids and teenagers do).

Having loved the little bush trails as a youngster, I knew that the bike I wanted needed to be capable of handling the rigors of going off-road. However, I also wanted a bike that was versatile and usable for commuting and path/road riding. A hard tail it was.

My choice, a 2011 XTC 29-1.

My budget was (originally) 1500 bucks, and I test rode and investigated a myriad of bikes with the Giant XTC being the front runner.. until one LBS chucked me on a run out 2010 XTC 29er. It felt a million times better than any of the 26er bikes I tested. After this ride I went home and did more research on the 29ers and found they had more advantages than those noticeable in a test ride around the car park.

I found another shop willing to get a 2011 XTC 29er for not much more than the 2010. And my choice was made.

Had this bike for a few months and prior to this weekend had only ridden on the path, road, and a little bit of offroad gravel/limestone/sand/mulch.

Took her out into Kalamunda (WA) on Sat. WOW. Completely chuffed with how good the bike feels. The difference on the flat stuff was marginal but once the going gets tougher this bike rocks.

And my first time on the trails? A little cursing, a little blood, a lot of sweating but BUCKET LOADS of FUN.

I'm addicted.

Chris.

P.S. Photos to come.. HERE.

Last edited:

Monks

Likes Dirt
Hi and welcome.

Well you've well and truly broken the RB cherry. Sweet ride. I've already replied to your post over in the 29er section.

The Giants seem to be offering the best bang for buck, and I can see why so many people are getting them. I've made a recommendation list for those upgrades you're already lusting for.

Also have a look at your tyres, if this bike is doubling as a commute and trail bike, tyres and pressures can make a huge difference, as I'm also quickly learning. Schwalbe Big Apples might be the best of both worlds, but it depends on the ratio of commute/trail.

Also Cellbikes is doing a ridiculous bargain on the 29er CST Critter tyres, might want to get some just to have some really cheap spares.

Again welcome and enjoy, 29ers are truckload of fun. :D