Port to Port 2018.... and a great ride was had by all!

Quency

Likes Dirt
The stage maps and elevation profiles have been loaded up on the website if you want to check them out

Minlak

custom titis
New shoes (Specialized 2FO Cliplite), Pedals (Shimano XTR Trail), Cassette (Shimano 11sp), Chainring (Absolute Black 30t Oval), Chain (Shimano 11spd), Tyres (Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2 & Ardent 2.4), Nicks and Jersey

Looks like I am set to go :)
10 more days

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
New shoes (Specialized 2FO Cliplite), Pedals (Shimano XTR Trail), Cassette (Shimano 11sp), Chainring (Absolute Black 30t Oval), Chain (Shimano 11spd), Tyres (Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2 & Ardent 2.4), Nicks and Jersey

Looks like I am set to go :)
10 more days
Have you used those knicks and tyres before?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
Have you used those knicks and tyres before?

Yeah it is the same brand of Knicks I always buy and I have been riding in them the last 2 weeks "breaking"them in.

Tyres:- Yes that is my normal combination Ardent on the front for Grip and race on the back for rolling. I only swapped from it to try the continentals I was using butt hey let me down spectacularly in the last couple of weeks so went back to what I know.

I was however much slower (read fatter) the last time I was using this combination.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah it is the same brand of Knicks I always buy and I have been riding in them the last 2 weeks "breaking"them in.

Tyres:- Yes that is my normal combination Ardent on the front for Grip and race on the back for rolling. I only swapped from it to try the continentals I was using butt hey let me down spectacularly in the last couple of weeks so went back to what I know.

I was however much slower (read fatter) the last time I was using this combination.
What Conti's were you running and how did they fail?

Minlak

custom titis
What Conti's were you running and how did they fail?

I had trail king and the side walls were always a bit leaky but about two weeks ago they decided they could only hold air for a half day at a time and just started leaking through the side walls. When I removed them almost the entire tyre had a latex sheath on the inside I had given them so much sealant and they still leaked. I had heard that was an issue with them previously and is meant to be fixed now.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Enough vino and morals are out the window! Let's know if you are heading through around meal time. Either way.

Minlak

custom titis
Rode for elevation on Saturday and Sunday to replicate day 1 and 2 of the Port to Port. It went ok so at this stage I am thinking ride Day 1, 2 and 4. Day 3 looks brutal but like most of the days all the elevation is at the start once its done its easier however my longest ever ride currently is 61km on a paved rail trail with bugger all elevation and not after 2 previous days of riding. I would sooner skip day 3 and have energy for 4 that is very up and down all ride.

ride.PNG
day 1 and 2.PNG

day 3 and 4.PNG

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice. Looks like the fitness is gradually building. Bring a stage race nutrition before, during and after will be very important. The body is very receptive to glycogen uptake for about 30 minutes after finishing a workout so try to have a recovery drink or eat straight after each stage, then rest those weary legs ready for the next day.

The other tip I'd give you is to not give in to the hype at the start line. When we start a race our perceived effort level is much lower than we are actually working so if you get caught up with other racers you might find you bite off more than you can chew in the first bit then have to drag yourself through the rest of the day.

I'm not doing it but I'm keen to hit it up next year, other events pending. Good luck!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ dang. That's probably going to be the technical highlight of the event. Any particular reason you have picked this leg over the other to sit out? Or is it just awaba's luck to be on day 3 where you'll be cactus from day 1+2?