Portland/ mt clay/ gorae west rd

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going to head past Portland in a month or so & wondering if its worth bringing the bike. Bancoora & trailmate have very limited info on the area.
Can anyone out that way let me know if the loops are still happening at boyer rd & gorae west rd. Looks like boyer is well sign posted, how about gorae?
Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Gorae isn't posted but is quite clear. Well it was in January when I was there. Good fun loop and is on strava if you need directions. Fun loop there and at mt clay.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks sedifus, is the gorae trailhead marked at all & is it best ridden clockwise or anticlockwise

EXSSVE

Likes Dirt
Gorae is clockwise, some (yellow spraypaint) arrow's are still visible but it does need remarking..Snakes and ladders section is fun. (going out there at 1 s'arvo).. The loop has a you break it, you fix it clause.

Mount Clay is fine, rode there yesterday, getting slippery but still quite rideable, well signposted.

Gorae pic..

20130512_142139.jpg

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks xssve, that woodwork looks like a laugh, I'll swing by & check it out.

EXSSVE

Likes Dirt
Gorae was a bit damp today, just watch the exposed root's, a couple of the larger log jump's are a bit sketchy too.

20130512_134508.jpg

20130519_142221.jpg

Crunchy_NuT

Likes Bikes
sane -- well worth the visit mate, the Sawpit MTB (Boyers Rd) track might be a bit slip'n'slidey at the moment, has had some decent rain lately (I live within a few K's of the track) I was there 2 weeks ago and it was still ample enough for a good session, signs there are great, easily followed

as for the Gorae loop, I have been there both days over the weekend, Saturday to help EXSSVE put up some signs, just to aid when looking for painted markers on tree's, so about 60% of the track has signs, the remainder of the track has ample bright orange painted arrows
today I had a fresh good ride at it -- track is holding up great with the weather we've had lately...only two tree's are fallen over the track where a goat track around them have formed
as for the snakes and ladders section, well, it's a bit tricky for me yet, I can't comment on how it is holding up with the weather

both tracks are ample for around here - it's all we got 'legally' - nothing insane like what others would be used to elsewhere
also consider going to Warrnambool's Thunder Point track, contact the Warrnambool MTB club or go to Crankhouse bike shop in Warrny for more info on that one

Last edited:

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks crunchy, you're a friendly bunch over that way. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you lot on the trails

Crunchy_NuT

Likes Bikes
well, as of this weekend, those two tree's I spoke of covering the path, one has been cut away a little bit and a plank installed so there is no more going around it

as for the other tree (photo stolen off facebook) some people have been busy

993524_10151630434472346_1657776460_n.jpg

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hit up these 2 loops on the weekend.

Thanks all you lot who are putting the work in at gorae, had a ball, fast & flowy & heaps of fun. If you could just do something about the weather, was fekin wet & would ride heaps faster when a bit drier.

Would certainly recommend anyone dropping in if you find yourself in SW vic.

Crunchy_NuT

Likes Bikes
yeah you chose the worst weekend I'd say, damn did we have some rain

the weekend before and the 2-3 weeks prior to that, things have been ripe and great for a session

EXSSVE

Likes Dirt
Hit up these 2 loops on the weekend.

Thanks all you lot who are putting the work in at gorae, had a ball, fast & flowy & heaps of fun. If you could just do something about the weather, was fekin wet & would ride heaps faster when a bit drier.

Would certainly recommend anyone dropping in if you find yourself in SW vic.
Sweet, did you 'do' The widowmaker?
We put a log across it as the landing was sketchy, presuming it was still there.

And yep, wet as a shag the past 4-5 day's... Looking good for the next couple of day's though.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Log was still there, good thing as there was no way I would have had the speed on to land that, it's basically flat by the looks.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heading to Portland for the long weekend. How are the trails/weather looking?
Definitely take the bike. Gorae west rd is a great loop & you could ride out from town. Mt clay is about 10 mins drive out. You can easily have a crack at both in a day.

Can't help with weather/ conditions as I'm in Singapore now but shoot us a pm if you need any info.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Definitely take the bike. Gorae west rd is a great loop & you could ride out from town. Mt clay is about 10 mins drive out. You can easily have a crack at both in a day.

Can't help with weather/ conditions as I'm in Singapore now but shoot us a pm if you need any info.
Cheers mate.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Didn't make it last time, but am in Portland now. How suitable is Gorae for a 7 yo on a 20"er?

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can bring your brother in law along to push said 7yo half the way you should be fine, reckon he owes you.

My 8yo would have no chance.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If you can bring your brother in law along to push said 7yo half the way you should be fine, reckon he owes you.

My 8yo would have no chance.
I'll sneak out on my own then. I'd only take the BIL if there was a cliff to push him off.....

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I assume the Gorae loop is the section in Bollwara reserve. I noticed there are a few segments of surry River road, namely echidna and emu. Are these worth the extra hike after doing the loop?