Possum Bourne

DOM

Eats Squid
NZ Rally Driver - 7 Times Australian Rally title winner.

As you know Possum was invovled in a freak car accident ( not rally ) whilst inspecting a course.

Here is a Press release

Life support turned off for Possum...
7.30pm
Critically injured New Zealand rally driver Possum Bourne was tonight taken off full life support at the intensive care unit at Dunedin Hospital.

A statement issued by Bourne's family said New Zealand's top rally driver had suffered a severe brain injury in a car crash on April 18 and had been actively managed since then.

"The extent and severity of the injury was not fully apparent until this weekend just gone, when ventilation support was decreased but he deteriorated and had to go back onto full support," the statement said.

Evaluation today which included a brain scan confirmed the severity of the original injury and "continuing full support is no longer in Possum's best interests."

Bourne, 47, suffered serious head and leg injuries in an accident during preparations for the Race to the Sky hillclimb near Cardrona, Central Otago, on Good Friday.

The car he was driving collided with a car driven by fellow rally driver Mike Baltrop.

Bourne who was taken to Dunedin Hospital and operated on, has been in a drug induced coma since then.

Bourne is New Zealand's only professional rally driver and in 20 years of racing has three times claimed the Asia-Pacific title.

He is the reigning Australian Rally champion, having won the title a record seven times.

- NZPA

Thats pretty rough

just thought you guys might want to know.

Hope his family finds strength for the future.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
A sad end to a great career. Reminds me of Ayrton Senna. Its such a shame that when they are so close to getting out of the sport things like this happen. It has to remind you that these are dangerous sports.

nhd

Likes Dirt
this is such a real shame, he was a great racer and a nice guy, didnt let anything get to him.
respects

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
this is the crapest thing that has happend all year.yes all those irqies should not have bin ever killed but this is the worst thing over all.

also why is this all they can tell us it happend 1 1/2 weeks ago and this is all they have said .well i didn't hear that it happend until about 4 days after it.
damn ch 10 i thought they would have cared about him more.

we will miss the best car dh racer(rallying).

Stinky

Likes Dirt
First Barry Sheen, and now Possum. It really is a tragedy for oz motorsport (and yes I know that neither were actually Australian.).

This was to be Possums big year as he gave the Production class World Championship a big shot.

All the best to his family and Team Subaru Australia.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He passed away around midday on wednesday. More info at http://www.autosport.com/. Bye possum, you will be sadly missed by all of the motorsport community. The japanesse motor GP rider who crashed in japan passed away only a couple weeks ago, now possum, I hope that no more lives will be lost persuing the sport they loved so much.

Steve

Likes Bikes
Its a big reality check when these guys who are at the top of their chosen sport have their careers cut short in such a way. Diajiro Kato was in for a big year. Looking at the aftermath of his crash the other week u couldnt help but think that his situation was going to be tragic. I guesss this is what happens when u are a top competitor and u r pushing the limits most of the time. U guys might have heard of a guy called Joey Dunlop, the former Isle of Mann TT title holder, record breaker, legend etc.... here was a guy who could race big bore sports bikes around street courses like no other, and he ended up being killed racing a 250 (i think) in a lesser know street race with very little @ stake. My point being and i know this can sound really gay but, all these guys love to compete and they had their lives cut off doing what they loved, not wasting away on some couch. Lifes awesome....suk it up. RIP to all the fallen hardmen in motorsport.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
possum is a champ. Somebody everyone of us could relate to. I am real sad this morning after seeing that in the paper. RIP Possum.

theres been an awfull amount of death latley,
sheen, bourne, kato..
Kato's death just shows how dangerous the sport is and how the apreciation for the risk that those guys take seemed to have faided away. a little off the topic , but did any1 see the south african MOTO GP,
were Kato's team mate Sete Giberneau (s.p?) won. fantastic stuff very emotional
anway rip to possum and Dajiro