Post your 29er!

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Quick trip back to where the journey began...

During all this the n+1 bug still managed to get a nip in and convince me I needed a dually as well, so a 2016 Camber Comp Carbon has joined the stable. Comfy like an armchair. :cheer2:
View attachment 321916
View attachment 321917
Nice camber mate!! I'm fairly keen to throw a leg over one of these next time the demo day rolls past, the updated geo looks awesome.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Ron back and Ralph front is an interesting combo. Usually the other way around.

Any particular reason?
Not really, I blew a side-wall and the Ralph was in the shed. The Ron is coming to the end of its life so I'm waiting for it to expire and then I'll sort it all out. The combo still grips and rolls ok even the "wrong" way round

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Are they carbon TWE wheels? How do you find them?
Yes they are TWE carbons. I had one wheel (new rim & rebuild) replaced as it developed a small crack. That was about after 1yr of riding. I've never had a problem with trueness, spokes stay tight etc. No issue with the hubs. I think the rims are a bit narrow but the Schwalbes mount no problem(tubeless) and I haven't rolled a tyre but I do try to keep an eye on pressures though.
It would be interesting to compare them with some of the newer carbon rims now on the market. From my perspective Greg builds a good wheel.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Been 4 years since I owned a bike with suspension, fully rigid on both geared and SS MTB's... and obviously Fat, CX and roadie.

Just finished Trek 9.9 Superfly SL today and we have a total fire ban here in rAdelaide, so haven't ridden it in anger yet apart from a few braaaps up and down the street to bed the new brakes in.

My target was an all day epic FS bike, at 10kg with wide wheels, I have put 35mm Nexties on it with Hope EVO hubs, 2.4 front and 2.25 rear. The bike has came out at 10.07kg as it sits. Wheelset could be lighter and send it ~9.5kg but I'm fed up breaking lightweight wheels and as long as it feels good, I'm happy as it sits... though the gripshift might go.

I'm way out of touch with modern suspension... one lever controls both shock and fork for CTD- Climb, trail, Descend ! Awesome stuff... can think I'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
My target was an all day epic FS bike, at 10kg with wide wheels, I have put 35mm Nexties on it with Hope EVO hubs, 2.4 front and 2.25 rear. The bike has came out at 10.07kg as it sits. Wheelset could be lighter and send it ~9.5kg but I'm fed up breaking lightweight wheels and as long as it feels good, I'm happy as it sits... though the gripshift might go.
Impressive weight
New or SH frame?
New Hopes?
You're even on the oval Kool Aid Billy!

ozzybmx

Bought the frame, forks, cockpit and drivetrain of a bloke locally. Just added wheels and some XTR brakes. He gave me the original XX1 chainring and 2 absolute black, one round, one oval, will see how they go.

Yes, pretty happy with the weight, knew it would come close to the target 10kg as the parts were getting added. Did a CRC order on Thur night with the DHL option, it was delivered Monday morning, all wheel adaptors, XD driver, chain and brakes.

The Shimano brakes with the XX1 gripshift is not the best with the lever nearly touching the gripshift ring when at full squeeze. First proper ride will reveal if its working ok.

poita

Likes Dirt
Been 4 years since I owned a bike with suspension, fully rigid on both geared and SS MTB's... and obviously Fat, CX and roadie.

Just finished this today and we have a total fire ban here in rAdelaide, so haven't ridden it in anger yet apart from a few braaaps up and down the street to bed the new brakes in.

I'm way out of touch with modern suspension... one lever controls both shock and fork for CTD- Climb, trail, Descend ! Awesome stuff... can think I'll be disappointed.

Holy shitballs. I'm jealous.

ozzybmx

Ron rear/ Ralph front is a bit different.
I have run a 2.4 Ralph on the front of all my bikes for a long time, since back in 2009 and my first 29er. I bought the Rocket Ron a while back and rode it on my HT as a rear with the 2.4 Ralph, cant notice it being any grippier on the rear than the 2.25 Ralph it replaced.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

The "wheels in air" IMO is not the issue, I have never damaged a rim on a hard hit landing, its rough trail with rocks and rock strikes. I currently have a set of 50mm 29+ rims with a decent carbon crack ding on the front wheel, nothing has leaked out but the bead is cracked.
This has happened twice to my enve wheels which have been replaced on warranty but I have retired those to my CX bike now.
You will break any carbon rim with a hard rock strike and that is the new problem with wider rims and lower pressures.

These are the ones I have on the Trek http://www.nextie-bike.com/carbon-fiber-29er-hookless-mtb-rim-35mm-width-clincher-tubeless-ready

Been decent so far as I have had them for about a year on my geared HT.

The Hope 2 EVO made the jump to a bigger axle, the 17mm allowed a 2.5mm axle wall thickness giving a 12mm tube through the wheel to fit 12mm thru axles, all standards swappable with end caps... these wheels were 135/100 QR, now 142x12 and 100x15. The original Pro 2 only had a 15mm axle which means an axle swap to a 17mm to fit 12mm thru. They have answered this issue with their new Pro 4 which has all the above plus 44t engagement and 1 less bearing due to the bigger new bearing.

All of the carbon rims are very much alike, just buy on customer service and possible crash replacement if you have a little "just riding along" incident.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I guess I'm just asking about the experience you have running 35mm external/30mm internal rims as opposed to the usual smaller width ones.

Tyre choice more difficult? Weight difference noticeable? Extra climbing drag?

My "wheels on the ground" reference was to my more careful, smooth riding style. I am absolutely not hard on my machinery.