Post your 29er!

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
The TBLT population around here is exploding.

Enjoy the bike, it's worth every cent. Incredibly fast on the flats for a 5.5" travel bike, climbs very well, and descends....... well I'll let you experience the fun of that for yourself.

Did you get caught up in the SC moving factory / warehouse delay?
Cheers.

Yeah, took about 12 weeks to come in. Also, I was waiting for the 2013 frame with the 142 rear. I could of got the 2012 much sooner.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sometimes when a shop looks after you, you have to look after them. Not that I know the story for Jathanas, but I've always been happy to compromise on aesthtics if it's going to help me with a good relationship.

Sweet bike - want very much.
100% right and very eloquently stated...

I didn't ask for the decal but will happily ride with it. Not every bike they build gets one, and I have a very solid rapport with the guys.

The owner of the store drove to the other side of town to get it yesterday, and the head mechanic stayed back to build it. All that so I could get my fat arse over the saddle and take it for a spin on the day they promised. :)

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Reacquanting myself with an old friend, the S-Works Epic 29er; our first time together ended prematurely. Second time around I look forward to getting to know this machine better.

View attachment 257374View attachment 257375
Very nice bike. love the stealthy look.
How you finding the rubena scylla tyres?

I just put one on the rear wheel after my rear ikon's developed a bubble in tread ( over 12 months old & 95% worn ).
Only 1 ride on it so far but it seems to roll pretty well & was a breeze to mount tubeless with a floor pump. Weight is ok too!

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Reacquanting myself with an old friend, the S-Works Epic 29er; our first time together ended prematurely. Second time around I look forward to getting to know this machine better.
Nice work Jim! S-Works Epic 29ers rock (not that I am biased or anything :p)!!
BTW super aggressive setup there mate - negative headstem?
Not interested in giving XX1 a crack? :)

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Yeah, i would like to know what stem & neg degrees you have?

my 6 degrees flipped is not quite enough on my current 29er HT setup.
Looking for another stem

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice bike. love the stealthy look.
How you finding the rubena scylla tyres?

I just put one on the rear wheel after my rear ikon's developed a bubble in tread ( over 12 months old & 95% worn ).
Only 1 ride on it so far but it seems to roll pretty well & was a breeze to mount tubeless with a floor pump. Weight is ok too!
Thanks Mike. I run the Scylla Tubeless Ready Grey Line (dual compound) and I'd never recommend it for the mud, but it's much stickier than it looks. Rolls well but it doesn't have a large bag like the Ikon or the RR. On the rear I'm running a Zefyros which is like a Specialized Renegade (slick), but with a dual compound like the Scylla.

Nice work Jim! S-Works Epic 29ers rock (not that I am biased or anything :p)!!
BTW super aggressive setup there mate - negative headstem?
Not interested in giving XX1 a crack? :)
Yeah, i would like to know what stem & neg degrees you have?

my 6 degrees flipped is not quite enough on my current 29er HT setup.
Looking for another stem

Thanks Court! Why would you be biased? :D

The stem is at -17 degrees and it is a Syntace F109. I found that getting the front lower on the 29er helps me with turn-in; it's just a preference. Today the seat is 1cm higher than it was in the pic (and levelled) so it looks even more aggresive.

@Mike: I couldn't get the bars low enough with the stock 6 degrees stem either.

I did think about XX1 but I won't jump on the bandwagon just yet; I'm a bit hesitant about running that hub and a 42 cassette. The granny ring is like insurance, especially toward the final stages of tough hilly events. Now that I'm getting back into riding I'll be entering more of those. :)

P.S: Given the mechanicals I've had lately the reliability of XTR did factor as well...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Thanks John!

You know what I ride now so If you see me out there jump out of those bushes that you hide in (please quickly dress first) and say g'day! :)
there you go - taking it to the gutter after I complemented your new ride. I only jump out for female joggers or ladies over 60 bird watching - you aint my type and your bike is too small.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there you go - taking it to the gutter after I complemented your new ride. I only jump out for female joggers or ladies over 60 bird watching - you aint my type and your bike is too small.
It's not how big, but how you use it!

Seriously mate, now that I'm riding again we should cruise the YTs. I'll keep an eye out for one of your group rides on the YT forum... I promise not to be friendly or chatty.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
you are so 2009

It's not how big, but how you use it!

Seriously mate, now that I'm riding again we should cruise the YTs. I'll keep an eye out for one of your group rides on the YT forum... I promise not to be friendly or chatty.
cruising the Yarra with you Pocohantas sounds like an old Al Pacino film.

I will be riding the new wheel size - it will make this entire thread retarded.

Attachments

JCB

Likes Bikes
100% right and very eloquently stated...

I didn't ask for the decal but will happily ride with it. Not every bike they build gets one, and I have a very solid rapport with the guys.

The owner of the store drove to the other side of town to get it yesterday, and the head mechanic stayed back to build it. All that so I could get my fat arse over the saddle and take it for a spin on the day they promised. :)
I assumed it was such a situation. Sweet bike irrespective! Like I said I wish i could have one, with or without decals ;)

goatman

Likes Dirt
Anthem X 29er

View attachment 257535

Got this second hand off here (thanks Harry), have since put a longer fork with 20mm Axle on it (new stem and headset as well)

Trying to keep costs down but have a Mavic C29max rear wheel coming next week (thank you Mr CRC).

Never ridden 29ers before, what a revelation!

SIZE - Medium
FRAME - ALUXX SLGrade Aluminum with 4" Maestro Suspension
FORK - Rock Shox Revelation RL 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 - 130mm
SHOCK - Fox RP 23
HANDLEBAR – Raceface
STEM Truvativ Stylo T20 Stem - 75mm 5deg
SEATPOST Thompson, 30.9
SADDLE - Fi'zi:k Gobi
PEDALS – Shimano XT
SHIFTERS – Sram XO, 3x10 Speed
FRONT DERAILLEUR – Shimano
REAR DERAILLEUR - Sram XO
BRAKES - Elixer R [F] 160mm, [R] 160mm
CASSETTE - Shimano XT, 11x34 9 Speed
CHAIN - Shimano XTR 9 Speed
CRANKSET - Shimano XT, 22/32/44
BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM GXP Press Fit
RIMS - Sun ringle front, Mavic C29max rear (soon)
TIRES - Maxxis Crossmark, 29x2.1 (soon to be Ardent 2.25 UST) , Maxxis Ardent 2.4

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Freshly built up Singular Swift Mark III

Turned my commuter into a dedicated off roader
XL Swift
Hopes on Flows
XT brakes and cranks
32/19 and 34/17 gearing
Moots post
Thomson Ti bar
Hope stem - soon to be silver thomson
King headset
Nevergal front and RR rear

Attachments

Monks

Likes Dirt
Turned my commuter into a dedicated off roader
XL Swift
Hopes on Flows
XT brakes and cranks
32/19 and 34/17 gearing
Moots post
Thomson Ti bar
Hope stem - soon to be silver thomson
King headset
Nevergal front and RR rear
lookin' good JD. Love the red highlights. Mind you, I'm just looking at your bar height/stem angle and seat height, thats almost roady config/geo?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
lookin' good JD. Love the red highlights. Mind you, I'm just looking at your bar height/stem angle and seat height, thats almost roady config/geo?
cant sneak anything past you Monks - last ride was to work on the road so yes. used to ride the swifts with 110mm stems so 90mm is a big change and the seat at offroad height - should be good. still ex-sperm-inating

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^ Cool work there JD. Very "retro".

Is running a roadie gear ratio and an easier off-road ratio cheating? Not saying you are using these 2 ratios as an unethical cycling performance enhancement, just putting it out there. It's all good, I don't judge... :fish2:

Monks

Likes Dirt
cant sneak anything past you Monks - last ride was to work on the road so yes. used to ride the swifts with 110mm stems so 90mm is a big change and the seat at offroad height - should be good. still ex-sperm-inating
yeah lucky the saddle looks comfy otherwise you'll be ex-sperm-inating more than you need. :heh: