Post your 29er!

Alpha-J

Likes Bikes
I have succumbed....and I'm happy about that.....the big wheels definately have their purpose in mtbiking.

Round 24.6lbs fully dressed, in it's 1x10spd configuration....
Congatulations on succumbing! Now just get out there and ride it some more - looks a little too clean!!

kanelangmaid

Cannon Fodder
XTC 29er 1

Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and got myself one of these. I know another Giant you all say, I could not find a better complete package.

I do have a question, I plan to commute to work during the week when the weather is good and then hit the trails on the weekends. What road tyres are available for the 29er that will be resistant to punctures which I will fit for the week, then switch back to the knobbies for the weekend? Also where can i get them?

Cheers

Attachments

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and got myself one of these. I know another Giant you all say, I could not find a better complete package.

I do have a question, I plan to commute to work during the week when the weather is good and then hit the trails on the weekends. What road tyres are available for the 29er that will be resistant to punctures which I will fit for the week, then switch back to the knobbies for the weekend? Also where can i get them?

Cheers
congratulations, welcome to the 29er club. I use my single speed as my main commute and keep my XTC for weekends and sometimes bigger weekday rides. I was going to use it as a commute/single track on way home bike, but reckon it would be too much wear and tear. Have also converted to tubeless and upgraded tyres. It would be viable if you got yourself another set of wheels as your off-roaders - then you could have both sets as tubeless and just recycle your worn offroad tyres onto commute. Well that's what I do.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Cheers
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-supreme-road-city-tyre/

We fitted a pair of these for a 600km bike-packing ride. See earlier post on Flash 29er. #762

SWMBO said the road tyres almost felt like cheating compared to normal MTB tyres

Roland

Last edited:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
These and the Marathon Duremes are excellent. Great tyres, wouldn't recommend going narrower than 35mm on those 29er rims though.

- Joel
I'll have to get the exact size off the tyre.

If you look closely at the pics, they are about the same width as a 1.9 MTB tyre and bl**dy stiff through the contact patch with the road, ie, not much chance of getting a flat.

Roland

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I'll have to get the exact size off the tyre.

If you look closely at the pics, they are about the same width as a 1.9 MTB tyre and bl**dy stiff through the contact patch with the road, ie, not much chance of getting a flat.

Roland
I`ve seen them in a 700 x 40 size for about $45.00. Got my eye on a pair myself if the new job comes through. Fit onto a cheap set of wheels as the daily comute and swap wheels for weekend fun.
Cheers
MH

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Hanging out to learn how you're going to build it. Either way, just be prepared to amaze yourself on the climbs, if you procure a light wheelset...
Doing a parts swap from the Yeti so

• XX Crank (29/40 Q Rings)
  • Reba XX fork
  • XX rear derailleur
  • XX 11-36 cassette
  • Eggbeater 11 pedals
  • Ritchey WCS Carbon flat sweep
  • Stans Crest rims
  • Front hub XTR 20mm thru axle
  • Rear hub powertap SL+ (boat anchor)
  • Seat: Sellia Italia SLR Gel Flow
Should be 9kg ish even with the powertap.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt

• Reba XX fork
  • XX rear derailleur
  • XX 11-36 cassette
  • Eggbeater 11 pedals
  • Stans Crest rims
Poor Yeti.
It will feel neglected now.
Are you sure you haven`t lost the Yeti Love?
Cheers
MH

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Flawless. Very bling. I'm betting the beast will weigh between 9.2 and 9.4kg ready to race. Any lighter than that and it will show my bike up, which will make me very bitter and even more twisted. :)

Both my 29ers have 24/38 chainrings, and I'm pretty comfy with those ratios. A 29 tooth inner would be a bit of a struggle, for me, especially towards the end of those 100km hilly events we sign up for. Does the Q Ring give you the same effective ratio as a "normal" ring?

I'm assuming an 100mm stem.

• Reba XX fork
  • XX rear derailleur
  • XX 11-36 cassette
  • Eggbeater 11 pedals
  • Stans Crest rims

kanelangmaid

Cannon Fodder
XTC 29er rims - what min tyre width

These and the Marathon Duremes are excellent. Great tyres, wouldn't recommend going narrower than 35mm on those 29er rims though.

- Joel
What would be the min tyre width would I fit, was looking at the Schwalbe Marathons in either 35mm or 38mm? Don't want to be to small or to heavy in the larger sizes. Also what tubes will match these sizes, or will the stock Maxxis Aspen 2.1" be fine?

On a side note my rim has a sticker on it that states 622 x 19 & ERD 590 and yet they fit the Aspens at 54mm on outside tread width.

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Flawless. Very bling. I'm betting the beast will weigh between 9.2 and 9.4kg ready to race. Any lighter than that and it will show my bike up, which will make me very bitter and even more twisted. :)

Both my 29ers have 24/38 chainrings, and I'm pretty comfy with those ratios. A 29 tooth inner would be a bit of a struggle, for me, especially towards the end of those 100km hilly events we sign up for. Does the Q Ring give you the same effective ratio as a "normal" ring?

I'm assuming an 100mm stem.
Whoops I lied - 27/40. The qrings effectively add about a tooth on the power part of the stroke and remove a tooth on the follow through. Sounds weird but after a couple of hours you just pedal :)

110m stem (Ritchey 4 Axis carbon)

Going back to round rings feels waaaay weirder than going from round to oval...

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Poor Yeti.
It will feel neglected now.
Are you sure you haven`t lost the Yeti Love?
Cheers
MH
Nah, I sold my 'Dale SS earlier this year so the Yeti becomes the SS :) Thinking Syncros or DT Swiss Rigid fork and those Stan's Arch rims I have lying around on some King hubs...

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
What would be the min tyre width would I fit, was looking at the Schwalbe Marathons in either 35mm or 38mm? Don't want to be to small or to heavy in the larger sizes. Also what tubes will match these sizes, or will the stock Maxxis Aspen 2.1" be fine?

On a side note my rim has a sticker on it that states 622 x 19 & ERD 590 and yet they fit the Aspens at 54mm on outside tread width.
min tyre width is based on the rim width, for most XC mtb rims I'd recommend no less than 32mm tyres. 35 or 38 would be fine. You should probably drop a size in the tube to avoid it folding over in the tyre. Save you about 40% of the tube weight too.

- Joel

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Nah, I sold my 'Dale SS earlier this year so the Yeti becomes the SS :) Thinking Syncros or DT Swiss Rigid fork and those Stan's Arch rims I have lying around on some King hubs...
I dream of the day I can afford to have nice bits lying around un-used as compared to bits lying around awaiting funds so I can repair or replace.
Oh well.
Cheers
MH

stu-2

Likes Dirt
Here is mine another Anthem

still got a bit of mud and granite on it from the Granville / Trial Harbour track on Tasmania's west coast, one of the stages used in the Wild Side race. Only 42ks but took about 5 hours return with a few stops for photo's and crashes.

Attachments

cooken

Likes Dirt
Starting a new build

Everything is ordered, about to take the plunge. This'll be my first 29er and first SS - although I may run it geared sometimes.

Niner Sir 9 frame (silver - med)
Sun Ringle Black Flag pro wheels
Racing ralph snakeskins
Reba XX fork 100mm
Ritchey WCS 10D 700mm flat bar
Ritchey 4C stem
Thomson elite seatpost
Fizik tundra saddle
XTR pedals
XTR brakes (trail)
XT cranks
Chris King headset
Niner Singlespeedring

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everything is ordered, about to take the plunge. This'll be my first 29er and first SS - although I may run it geared sometimes.

Niner Sir 9 frame (silver - med)
Sun Ringle Black Flag pro wheels
Racing ralph snakeskins
Reba XX fork 100mm
Ritchey WCS 10D 700mm flat bar
Ritchey 4C stem
Thomson elite seatpost
Fizik tundra saddle
XTR pedals
XTR brakes (trail)
XT cranks
Chris King headset
Niner Singlespeedring
how sweet it is, know the feeling. Good luck.