Post your 29er!

Picking up next week.

But have to wait 2 months to ride as I have a fractured and plated clavicle thanks to a stack on my 26er ( 2012 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 - which is for sale by the way!). 'Tipped ' me over to buying a 29er. Hopefully will keep me in C-grade for a bit longer.

Attachments

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Ritchey P-29er

My first 29er. Some trial rides today for fit and some serious trail time over the next few months.

The Brief
I wanted a steel 29er, a little different from everyone else. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with my LBS, we settled on the Ritchey - great heritage, superb looks and a balanced ride.

The Build
I was keen to maintain Shimano XT throughout with Fox up front and decent wheels. Building from scratch is *very* expensive, but with a bit of hunting, we found a well priced donor bike which gave us the drive train, brakes, wheels and forks:

Frame: XL Ritchey P-29er
Drive Train: XT 2x10
Brakes: SLX (not quite XT, but workable)
Wheels: Stans Crest (and white to boot!)
Forks: Fox RL 29
Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT

Next Steps
I'll refit the cockpit to Ritchey components - seat post, bar and stem to get started.

A joy to behold!

Ritchey_P-29er.JPG

Ritchey.jpg

P-29er.jpg

DesignedbyTomR.jpg

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Donor Bike

looks good herding cats - ride report please

what was the donnor bike?
Hi JD,
The donor bike was a Silverback VIDA 1 - very aggressively priced at the moment.

I'll need a few more k's to make a meaningful ride report: NTL, I improved some of my sniggle segments (I didn't call Strava run once ...), although I wasn't looking to push. It climbs well and rolls over stuff I would ordinarily have balked at. I've got to work on technique - I realise how lazy I've become riding full suspension (in this case a 2009 Trance X1).

a

davehirst

Likes Dirt
can i ask ( as a complete newbie, and no disrespect, just trying to learn), why did you not just keep the silverback frame and bike set-up.
Just because you want the steel frame ?
Is the silverback substandard ?.
dave

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My first 29er. Some trial rides today for fit and some serious trail time over the next few months.

The Brief
I wanted a steel 29er, a little different from everyone else. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with my LBS, we settled on the Ritchey - great heritage, superb looks and a balanced ride.

The Build
I was keen to maintain Shimano XT throughout with Fox up front and decent wheels. Building from scratch is *very* expensive, but with a bit of hunting, we found a well priced donor bike which gave us the drive train, brakes, wheels and forks:

Frame: XL Ritchey P-29er
Drive Train: XT 2x10
Brakes: SLX (not quite XT, but workable)
Wheels: Stans Crest (and white to boot!)
Forks: Fox RL 29
Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT

Next Steps
I'll refit the cockpit to Ritchey components - seat post, bar and stem to get started.

A joy to behold!

View attachment 256580

View attachment 256579

View attachment 256578

View attachment 256577
A fantastic looking bike, can I ask what the frame set you back?
Nothing rides quite like a well made steel hardtail.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
I've been monitoring this thread for years and I've only had a common-as-muck Giant XTC 29er so never posted, but, after commuting on a singlespeed for years I figured it was time to try it off road. I converted my Giant XTC about 2 months ago and was instantly hooked. So I figured it was time to upgrade to a SS specific frame. I picked up a bit of a bargain and just finished putting it together this afternoon:

photo.jpg

Frame: niner one9 alloy
Fork: Fox F29
Wheels: Easton Haven with Racing Ralphs (tubeless)
Brakes: Hayes Stroker/hope floating rotors
Drivetrain: XT with E-thirteen guide ring (34t), Surly 18t cog at rear
Truvativ AKA stem, ENVE flat bar, SDG iBeam seat and post

I'm amazed at how little there is in building a single speed! So Simple!

Took it out for it's maiden ride for a latenight lap of Manly Dam (just got back).

I'm totally smitten! It's longer and lower than my Giant was. Powers up hills like nobody's business and holds a line amazingly well on the downs. Love it!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Frame: niner one9 alloy
Fork: Fox F29
Wheels: Easton Haven with Racing Ralphs (tubeless)
Brakes: Hayes Stroker/hope floating rotors
Drivetrain: XT with E-thirteen guide ring (34t), Surly 18t cog at rear
Truvativ AKA stem, ENVE flat bar, SDG iBeam seat and post

I'm amazed at how little there is in building a single speed! So Simple!

Took it out for it's maiden ride for a latenight lap of Manly Dam (just got back).

I'm totally smitten! It's longer and lower than my Giant was. Powers up hills like nobody's business and holds a line amazingly well on the downs. Love it!
Which version of the EBB have you got?
The original biocentric tends to creak.
Buy a product called "carbogrip", pull the EBB out and spray a little on each side.... Creak be Gone!

SS is the only way to go

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Long time reader, first time poster

The just picked up the new ride from the LBS

SC TBLTc in XXL (not a typo)

First ride was on the way home from the LBS up some trails along the Yarra here in Melb, with a backpack full of stuff so wasn't really opening it up.

However, how did it go? Like a well balanced monster truck. Roots and rocks that used to sap momentum on my 26er are just devoured. First real ride in anger will come tomorrow morning, can't wait.

Apologies for the bad photos, they don't do it justice.

TBLTc.jpgTBLTc2.jpgTBLTc3.jpg

My 2013 Trek Marlin (large)

Really happy with how this frame is performing so I've upgraded the Marlin in a few places its lacking.
-Manitou Tower Pro
-Shimano XT brakeset (front tektros failed on me horrifically on a fire trail descent)
-Conti x-king and race king (will swap them around before next ride)
-WTB pure race v
-DMR v8

Monks

Likes Dirt
My 2013 Trek Marlin (large)

Really happy with how this frame is performing so I've upgraded the Marlin in a few places its lacking.
-Manitou Tower Pro
-Shimano XT brakeset (front tektros failed on me horrifically on a fire trail descent)
-Conti x-king and race king (will swap them around before next ride)
-WTB pure race v
-DMR v8
welcome sam, nice ride, but it needs to get dirtier! :nod:

Gripo

Eats Squid
My new Tallboy LT...
Full XT
KS LEV
WTB i23 tubeless rims
Fox kashima front and back.

Full write up and proper pics coming soon...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Looks great, they're a great do it all mtnbike, good stuff.....

I hummed and hahed over a budget alloy build but ended up waiting and going carbon....might post pics soon.

Been on it several weeks now, it's definately a superbike....

Big AC

Likes Dirt
My new Tallboy LT...
Full XT
KS LEV
WTB i23 tubeless rims
Fox kashima front and back.

Full write up and proper pics coming soon...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
The TBLT population around here is exploding.

Enjoy the bike, it's worth every cent. Incredibly fast on the flats for a 5.5" travel bike, climbs very well, and descends....... well I'll let you experience the fun of that for yourself.

Did you get caught up in the SC moving factory / warehouse delay?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2013 S-Works Epic 29er XTR

Reacquanting myself with an old friend, the S-Works Epic 29er; our first time together ended prematurely. Second time around I look forward to getting to know this machine better.

IMG_0362_Small.jpgIMG_0364_small.jpg

Bodin

GMBC
Awesome bike - wish I could afford one.. Shame about the LBS sticker though, did you ask for that or was it put on as part of delivery?
Sometimes when a shop looks after you, you have to look after them. Not that I know the story for Jathanas, but I've always been happy to compromise on aesthtics if it's going to help me with a good relationship.

Sweet bike - want very much.