Post your 29er!

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
The more I ride the SB95c, the more I am impressed! How much of this is due to my change to 29" rims or the Yeti platform itself I don't know? Went for a 40k ride on the weekend and the 3km road commute to the trails was easy and quick with very little pedal induced 'bob' at all. The only small thing I have noticed is the very steep and slow sections of technical climbing seem a little harder to push through, I think due to the 1x11 granny gear ratio compared to my old 3x9 with 32 tooth granny and Rotor Q-Rings. Haven't looked into the ratios yet but I suspect this one's a little harder to push on paper as well! The fast flowing trail sections and undulations are a lot more fun to ride, with a lot more time spent in the saddle rather than standing up, getting a great feel for how the suspension soaks up the trail without affecting pedaling. As for the downhill sections, they were awesome and STRAVA confirms it's significantly quicker. Loving it!

Happy to see an old Farkin user back.

I have a soft spot for Yeti's. Happy days for you indeed!!
Thanks Nath8, Farkin seems a lifetime ago now... spent so much time on these forums back then!

Sweet Yeti. Always had a soft spot for SB95s. Dropper post in Adelaide is a bit of a mixed bag imo. First bike I tried that had one I was using it all the time, now I find it doesn't get used a heap unless things get steep or I've taken some brave pills or accidentally gone down a black diamond run - where it becomes invaluable. I reckon you'll probably end up keeping it with a bike like that.

Anyway, took this blast from the past out for a canter today, back from when 29ers were new and.... not fully resolved. A 2008(?) Intense Spider. Flawed but still fun. Some RBers will probably recognise it...
Thanks Asinindrivel. Agreed re dropper post, I'm quite comfortable going downhill with a high post and 95% of the time I'm not running long downhills looking for that extra few seconds... but, dropping the post on the weekend I found it made it a lot easier to negotiate fast changes of direction and sure gives the bike a very different feel. One I could get used to for those fun rides. I'll probably get myself a decent lightweight post and tyres for enduros and 'racing' but keep the dropper for most of my regular riding.

Cheers for the comments ;)

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found a crack in my frame around the weld on the downtube / head tube junction when I was installing new forks – have spoken to Gripsport and it can be fixed but obviously I am fairly disappointed given I was hoping to do a few of the QLD Sunshine Series races over the next few weeks in the lead in to Bayview Blast. Hopefully it’s back well in time for Bayview at the end of June.

I emailed Hettly Bikes explaining what had happened with a few pics – I didn’t expect any help given the frame is second hand and about two years old... Edit: Hettly bikes have responded offering a heavily discounted new frame.:happy:

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Found a crack in my frame around the weld on the downtube / head tube junction when I was installing new forks – have spoken to Gripsport and it can be fixed but obviously I am fairly disappointed given I was hoping to do a few of the QLD Sunshine Series races over the next few weeks in the lead in to Bayview Blast. Hopefully it’s back well in time for Bayview at the end of June.

I emailed Hettly Bikes explaining what had happened with a few pics – I didn’t expect any help given the frame is second hand and about two years old but I must say I am fairly surprised I got no response what so ever :twitch:

Welding of titanium can be a bit tricky.
You may be able to find a good fabricator closer to home if you need it done faster.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welding of titanium can be a bit tricky.
You may be able to find a good fabricator closer to home if you need it done faster.
Tried all the regulars, and a few frame builders here in SEQ, no dice... On the flip side Jon (Grip) can turn it around in about a week.
I used to do a lot of welding once upon a time, if it were alloy or steel I would give it a go but I am too aware of the nuances of welding titanium.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It's a rotorburn issue I think, when I click on the photo in crappatalk, it's correctly orientated.

Looks even sexier rubber side down :thumb:

Bodin

GMBC
I give up. You will forever be riding uphill...
Even funnier is when I right click the image and "Open in a new tab" (Safari, OS/X), it rotates the picture 180 degrees, so it's *still* not the right way up. But you're going to need the dropper down, because now it looks like you're descending something completely vertical...

WTF did you do to that picture?!?!? :twitch:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Looks great JD... Do I recognise that Intense too ???
Probably :) Was Adam's but he stripped it, put all the parts on the Lenz and sold me the frame. I did the rounds with the obligatory CRC/Jenson sales and that was the result. I may strip it soon too - doesn't exactly get a lot of use anymore.

Oh and very nice blue bomber JD. How does it compare to your old SB95?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Specialized Stumpjumper 29

Medium
Blue
Goes pretty good.

XFusion 120-140mm w/15mm axle.
Easton ARC 30mm front and ARC 27mm rear with Hope Hubs.
KS dropper
740mm bars
80mm stem
Shimano XT drivetrain. 34 Absolute Black NW oval chainring x 36 10 speed.
Shimano XT Brakes. Metal pads front and Organic rear pads.
Dont know weight, but would have to be high 13, even 14 kg maybe?

Sent from something to something!

Last edited: