Post your all mountain bike

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm giving away my age (and prejudices) here, but it's still simple to me:
XC = you finished riding where you started.
DH = you finished riding at a lower point than where you started and there was some form of transport (shuttle/lift/etc) between the bottom and the top either before or after your ride/run.

Every other term used is just a variation on those themes:
Trail = XC for people who think the word "trail" sounds tougher... like motorbikes... they're generally called "trail bikes". And motorbikes are tough. YEAH!
AM/Enduro = DH with a lot of pedalling (and if there isn't much pedalling then FFS call it what it is: DH!)

At the end of the day, let's face it: if you've ended up back where you started, then you've been cross-country riding and the fact you did it on a heavy bike* and held everyone up on the uphills just so you could be an out-of-control dickhead on the downhills (and not actually any faster than skilled riders on XC bikes) doesn't give you the right to rename the sport.

*No, modern Trail/AM/Enduro bikes are *not* as fast uphill as XC bikes "these days". If you believe that, you haven't watched any elite XC races lately (or possibly ever).

(searches for flame-proof suit :p) :target:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445504536.188814.jpg.............

slowmick

38-39"
But I thought my 6" travel enduro bike would compensate for my fat gut and small penis...

I've been lied to through song :pout:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'll light the burner.
Ha ha, who had there Strava climb ruined by someone having FUN?
XC = you finished riding where you started. As quickly as possible.
DH = you finished riding at a lower point than where you started and there was some form of transport (shuttle/lift/etc) between the bottom and the top either before or after your ride/run.

Every other term used is just a variation on those themes: To offer a more detailed perspective by using one word instead of a whole sentence. Like the graph fairly accurately posted
Trail = XC for people who think the word "trail" sounds tougher... like motorbikes... they're generally called "trail bikes". And motorbikes are tough. YEAH! I see it as exploring looking for fun stuff to ride, with a bike to give you enough confidence to smash some shit. So enough travel and slack enough head angle, but without sacrificing to much for it in the form off pedalable efficiency.
AM/Enduro = DH with a lot of pedalling (and if there isn't much pedalling then FFS call it what it is: DH!)
AM same as above really, but with a bit more focus on confidence inspiring geo and travel.
Enduro even more focused on descents and reliability in doing so and less on efficiency when climbing. Slightly lower BB perhaps.
So slacken a degree or more head angle for every discipline from XC towards DH and add half inch of travel or more.
At the end of the day, let's face it: if you've ended up back where you started, then you've been cross-country ridingXC by definition helps explain to anyone your bike is built super light weight with enough durability to survive an XC race and steep enough head angle to climb fast, and short bars to also aid climbing etc. Yes sure your riding acroos country, but MTB language has evolved to express different ideals in bikes with an accepted terminoligy to express it. Thank god Freeride no longer defines most of the above .and the fact you did it on a heavy bike* and held everyone up on the uphills Anyone riding anything but an XC bike doesn't give to much fucks about climbing as descending or fast flowy tracks. Got a voice, use it "track" is the accepted word for please get the fuck out of the way. Works on decents too, were the same level rider on a steeper less traveled bike will get in the way of someone on a slacker more travel bike, even if both are actually having FUN, unlike those climbing.. just so you could be an out-of-control dickhead on the downhills difference of opinion then, most people like riding on the limit of traction etc, its called exhilaration. (and not actually any faster than skilled riders on XC bikes straight up incorrect. Higher skilled rider on XC bike might be quicker, but not equal skilled rider.) doesn't give you the right to rename the sport. XC is just older renaming for MOUNTAIN BIKING.

*No, modern Trail/AM/Enduro bikes are *not* as fast uphill as XC bikes No, but I notice your making good use of the descriptive terms and irony. "these days". If you believe that, you haven't watched any elite XC races lately (or possibly ever). I rest my case.

I should've added slightly fatter tyres as you went up the descriptive terms.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Trail = XC for people who think the word "trail" sounds tougher... like motorbikes... they're generally called "trail bikes". And motorbikes are tough. YEAH!
I used the word "trail" riding in the vicinity of the better half the other day. The level of "ERGH I RIDE TRAILS I'M SO HARDCORE" vitriol she delivered in response was surprising.

Wasn't aware it's such a wank term. Still going to use it though.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Wasn't aware it's such a wank term. Still going to use it though.
It's called a "reach around" to "XC" riders, not a "wank" ;-)
Just joking, relax. All riding is excellent(accept skooters) Respect for each other and getting the fuck outta the way of faster people, not wrecking tracks and taking your rubbish with you and being nice to other trail users is what's important. Oh and leaving heated debates to forums only.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Bodin,

I get where your coming from, but the sports changed a lot. When I started riding and racing, there was only XC and DH, and nearly everyone competed in both on the same bike. And, most people were riding hardtails.

If you enjoy XC racing, and you look at all bikes through that prism, then I wouldn't be surprised if an AM bike doesn't make sense. But everyone has a different definition of fun.

geoz

Likes Bikes
I'll light the burner.
Ha ha, who had there Strava climb ruined by someone having FUN?

I should've added slightly fatter tyres as you went up the descriptive terms.
Good point. Might have been me at some point.
On the flip side, who had their Strava downhill run ruined by someone carefully picking their way through the rock garden on their skinny tyres and short suspension?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Bodin,

I get where your coming from, but the sports changed a lot. When I started riding and racing, there was only XC and DH, and nearly everyone competed in both on the same bike. And, most people were riding hardtails.

If you enjoy XC racing, and you look at all bikes through that prism, then I wouldn't be surprised if an AM bike doesn't make sense. But everyone has a different definition of fun.
I'd agree with this, sure an XC bike CAN go down a burly trail.... But I'm not Nino Schurter and I like to have my teeth stay in my jaw.
They sure as hell can climb quick too, I can only claim to have participated in one XC race and the elite guys climbed like there I was standing still, but heck if I didn't outpace them on the downs.... & im not even that good. My bike is considered a "trail" bike but I do AM style races and ride days on it. Took it on a DH track on Tuesday and that really showed up its (a my own) deficiencies.

A lot of XC specific bikes are built light for fast race action, but for the average rider it's not what your aiming for. An AM bike just has a little more burl without too much weight penalty.... Happy enough for an all day adventure without concern for what the ride may throw at you.

That said I've ridden the manly dam loop with a kid on a polygon DH rig as that was his only bike, and we rode the ourimbah DH track with a mate on his XC hard tail. It's all doable but not much fun.... Unless you like that kind of punishment ;)

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
XC = you finished riding where you started.

Every other term used is just a variation on those themes:

At the end of the day, let's face it: if you've ended up back where you started, then you've been cross-country riding and the fact you did it on a heavy bike* and held everyone up on the uphills just so you could be an out-of-control dickhead on the downhills (and not actually any faster than skilled riders on XC bikes) doesn't give you the right to rename the sport.

*No, modern Trail/AM/Enduro bikes are *not* as fast uphill as XC bikes "these days". If you believe that, you haven't watched any elite XC races lately (or possibly ever).

So Im assuming a Harley Davidson is a "Trail Bike"? by your comment above
Also if I start at point A ride a downhill track and then ride back to point A i've actaully ridden an XC loop?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's my new AM rig... Replaces a RM instinct 999..

'15 bronson C
Pike RC 150mm
CC DB Inline
WTB I23 wheels, sram hubs
Sram X1 shifter, rear mech
XT M8000 42t cassette
Xt M8000 brakes
Reverb stealth post
WTB seat
RF bars, 40mm stem
ESI grips

Easily the most enjoyable and playful bike I've owned. Said that about the rocky but this is on another level.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
So Im assuming a Harley Davidson is a "Trail Bike"? by your comment above
Also if I start at point A ride a downhill track and then ride back to point A i've actaully ridden an XC loop?
Harley Davidson actually made some trail bikes. I googled it, must be true.

If you cycled back up, yeah I guess it does mean you've gone XC... guess you could have said you were riding DH, but cycled back up. But overall it's an XC loop right? albeit not necessarily on an XC bike.
I don't know, I don't have this dilemma, because I'm overbiked and really unfit... so end up walking part (most) of it.

Here's my new AM rig... Replaces a RM instinct 999..

Easily the most enjoyable and playful bike I've owned. Said that about the rocky but this is on another level.
:( #thatsnotarockymountain

haha, still reckon much of the fun is in trying new things. Nice bike!

placebo

Likes Dirt
Hmm, curious - is that an older lyrik with a 650b wheel stuffed into it? Also I assume that's an ava cart in it?
No, it's a 650b frame with the parts from my old dead 26 stuck on it, which just lowers the bb height 10mm. That's an avy lyric too. I've got another lyric and was going to ride the two back to back on the frame to compare with the avy lyric, but I've never put the stocker back on.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Hope so!! Cash is spent now.
Cash well spent mate. i only had mine a couple months before i fractured my wrist, but rode it at a few places with a good variety of terrain and riding styles, and I'm yet to find something it didn't love. I have a dh bike for the super gnar, but the sight handles anything else with ease. If you don't like it, you don't like riding bikes!!