Post your all mountain bike

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
2011 Stumpjumper Evo
Fox Rp 23
Fox 2012 Talas RLC 160mm with fit and Kashima, 20mm thru.
XO rear derailleur
X7 Front Derailleur
XTR Pedals
Sram 2200 Carbon cranks
Thomson Elite X4 50mm stem
Phenom Saddle
Elixir cr/sl brakes, 203mm front 185 rear
Command post dropper post 3 position, with xtr elbow and cable for smooth travel adjust!View attachment 208409View attachment 208410

Pretty interesting how the Stumpy is becoming the AM bike of the Specialized range, got loads of travel but is super light. Sick bike!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Pretty interesting how the Stumpy is becoming the AM bike of the Specialized range, got loads of travel but is super light. Sick bike!
Thanks mate, i figured it was pretty all mountain with a couple of weaknesses, the fork and stem, i wanted 36's with 160mm travel and 20mm thru axle, also to shorten the stem to give me a more downhill/technical feel to the bike, fortunately it has really improved the bike, it allready has a great rear shock, so to fix the front and the stem really made it what i think all mountain should be, BTW, if the enduro evo had of been available in australia i would have went down that track!..but i am happy with what i have, upgrades to come will be XO front mech and XO shifters!

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Thanks mate, i figured it was pretty all mountain with a couple of weaknesses, the fork and stem, i wanted 36's with 160mm travel and 20mm thru axle, also to shorten the stem to give me a more downhill/technical feel to the bike, fortunately it has really improved the bike, it allready has a great rear shock, so to fix the front and the stem really made it what i think all mountain should be, BTW, if the enduro evo had of been available in australia i would have went down that track!..but i am happy with what i have, upgrades to come will be XO front mech and XO shifters!
So your running 160m at the front and 140mm at the rear (plus a shorter stem); has this changed the geometry much? I imagine that an extra 20mm lift at the front would probably make for a better descender, also considering the stronger 20mm through axle, would have changed the overall 'feel' of the bike completely. Last year I went to NZ and a bunch of people were running Stumpy's over there; I was amazed at the capabilities of the bikes, for example doing 5 foot drops and then being a very competent climber.

Yer, the Evo model is definitely jawdroppingly awesome!

How about 2012 Stumpy Evo with 150mm travel? - Looks like a winner!

See: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-stumpumper-evo-carbon-2012.html

Last edited:

BM Epic

Eats Squid
So your running 160m at the front and 140mm at the rear (plus a shorter stem); has this changed the geometry much? I imagine that an extra 20mm lift at the front would probably make for a better descender, also considering the stronger 20mm through axle, would have changed the overall 'feel' of the bike completely. Last year I went to NZ and a bunch of people were running Stumpy's over there; I was amazed at the capabilities of the bikes, for example doing 5 foot drops and then being a very competent climber.

Yer, the Evo model is definitely jawdroppingly awesome!

How about 2012 Stumpy Evo with 150mm travel? - Looks like a winner!

See: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-stumpumper-evo-carbon-2012.html
Stock it came with 150mm float front and 146mmtravel rp23 on the back, going an extra 10mm up front has changed it slightly, but the shorter stem seemed to make it feel like a dh bike, the big difference is that new front fork and its adjustability, as MrCove will attest to( he has 2011 float with fit and kashima ), these babies are awesome, but the feel is definitely very downhill oriented, also the 20mm front is a slight step up from the 15mm front, you can feel stability thats for sure!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
up grade to NO front mech, MRP Lopes SL guide, HBC single ring,
never loose a chain and save yourself about +200 grams
I have been thinking of it, but in all honesty i am not a strong enough rider to handle a single up front!:tape:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Stock it came with 150mm float front and 146mmtravel rp23 on the back, going an extra 10mm up front has changed it slightly, but the shorter stem seemed to make it feel like a dh bike, the big difference is that new front fork and its adjustability, as MrCove will attest to( he has 2011 float with fit and kashima ), these babies are awesome, but the feel is definitely very downhill oriented, also the 20mm front is a slight step up from the 15mm front, you can feel stability thats for sure!
Ah just realized you have the 'Evo' as opposed to the other shorter-travel frames. So thats a perfect amount of travel really for 'AM' riding. Actually, my mate has an 09 Stumpy Comp which is completely different beast all together, his is definitely more xc orientated, still a fast bike up and down, but nothing like the 2011 models.

So at the moment im riding an Intense SS with coils front and back (160mm and 168mm respectively) which is great for 'AM' to 'FR' but im really getting to the stage where I cant risk injuring myself all the time doing silly drops and the like, plus it doesn't climb all that well, so looking to get back on a Specialized after selling my custom Enduro (pics below), thinking about a Stumpy, Enduro or a Yeti 575, but I reckon I like the look of your setup.. It also seems as though the new Stumpy's are pretty good at going down too, and 150mm travel front and back should be more than enough I reckon.

Attachments

Last edited:

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Love both of them bikes, yeah the new range of bikes whether they be specialized or yeti etc, are pretty special units now, i did a ride today that features a 1.5 km climb that gains about 140 mters in altitude, i set it at 120mm travel and it quite surprised me, especially how soft i have it set, it climbed actually really well, the only thing that is just a slight annoyance( and i knew of it before i bought it), is climbing rock step ups and the like, you can tend to hit the bash guard a bit, but its all about getting out of the seat and climbing like that and it prevents strikes, other than that it is awesome, going down hill puts a massive smile on your face!!!
If you are also thinking of Yeti, the new sb66 seems to be getting rave reviews, so much so Jared Graves felt the need to comment on it in the Yeti sb66 thread on the all mountain thread here!
I dont think you can go wrong either way, they are both sex on wheels the yeti and stumpy evo!!!

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
....... so looking to get back on a Specialized after selling my custom Enduro (pics below), thinking about a Stumpy, Enduro or a Yeti 575,.........
I had one of those shape Enduros, loved it, set up with 710 bars, 50mm stem, then went with a 1x9 set up
great bike, great geo just a bit tall in the bb, but only a bit

got an Ibis Mojo HD now, which is even better. The DW suspension is so good, noticeably better than FSR in every application, i'm not knocking Spesh/FSR though.

a Stumpy Evo was on my hit list too, but was swayed by the DW and the carbon (2012 Spesh Stump Evo will be available in carbon...)

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I had one of those shape Enduros, loved it, set up with 710 bars, 50mm stem, then went with a 1x9 set up
great bike, great geo just a bit tall in the bb, but only a bit

got an Ibis Mojo HD now, which is even better. The DW suspension is so good, noticeably better than FSR in every application, i'm not knocking Spesh/FSR though.

a Stumpy Evo was on my hit list too, but was swayed by the DW and the carbon (2012 Spesh Stump Evo will be available in carbon...)
Dont forget the overall look of the mojo, it looks fast leaning against a tree, it is a great looking bike, the white floats just top it off, i wish talas came in white, but beggars cant be choosers!

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Giante Trancy X1 2012

Does everything I need stock. Possibly a wider bar in the future. Not true AM but sure is fast going up.Trance x1 002.jpg

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Love both of them bikes, yeah the new range of bikes whether they be specialized or yeti etc, are pretty special units now, i did a ride today that features a 1.5 km climb that gains about 140 mters in altitude, i set it at 120mm travel and it quite surprised me, especially how soft i have it set, it climbed actually really well, the only thing that is just a slight annoyance (and i knew of it before i bought it), is climbing rock step ups and the like, you can tend to hit the bash guard a bit, but its all about getting out of the seat and climbing like that and it prevents strikes, other than that it is awesome, going down hill puts a massive smile on your face!!!
If you are also thinking of Yeti, the new sb66 seems to be getting rave reviews, so much so Jared Graves felt the need to comment on it in the Yeti sb66 thread on the all mountain thread here!
I dont think you can go wrong either way, they are both sex on wheels the yeti and stumpy evo!!!
So your saying the bb is a little low? Hmm, well that would explain the comments from testers regarding the improved handling of the bikes. At least you have the bash-ring then.. Yer the Yeti SB66, I have watched loads of media on it and it looks like a pretty advanced suspension system, but on a very long ride, say a three day trek in the bush, i don't think i would be able to trust the complexity/reliability of the system compared to say the 575.. I reckon the success of the 575 may be put down to its simplicity. Then there is the price difference of almost $1000.00 for the frame only, ouch! Same with the Stumpy, just a simple suspension design perfected over like 15 years! - cant beat that! :clap2:

I had one of those shape Enduros, loved it, set up with 710 bars, 50mm stem, then went with a 1x9 set up great bike, great geo just a bit tall in the bb, but only a bit
got an Ibis Mojo HD now, which is even better. The DW suspension is so good, noticeably better than FSR in every application, i'm not knocking Spesh/FSR though. a Stumpy Evo was on my hit list too, but was swayed by the DW and the carbon (2012 Spesh Stump Evo will be available in carbon...)
Yer I totally agree, the bb was way too high for me (the terrain i rode too). In fact, I broke two ribs hitting-up a jump on it and crashing. Not really blaming the bike lol, but really the bike is not designed to be stable in the air!

So your happy with the Mojo HD, how much travel are you running? Its interesting, the difference in suspension between a vpp style frame and a four bar linkage. I have found the vpp (on my Intense ss and my old Giant Reign) to be really really smooth, too smooth in fact for me, which is why i want to go back to a four bar. Have you ridden an Blur LT? I rode a Blur LT Carbon 2010 in Rotovegas and I was amazed at the suppleness compared to my Enduro/FSR, not 'better' as such, just different. I think maybe that FSR bikes are relying on the performance of the shock, whereas VPP bikes have far more advanced suspension designs, like my SS.. just bulls@#t how smooth it is!

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
So your happy with the Mojo HD......... how much travel are you running? ........
like the Mojo HD more every time i ride it
just got back from a techy ride

taken some getting used to after riding Spesh for the last 3 bikes.
for fast/tech single track, jumps and pumps etc it is fantastic
for super steep, no pedaling dh with square edge obstacles and gaps i sometimes miss the extra front wheelbase that the Enduro had

overall though, better.
The DW suspension pedals A LOT better, and pumps speed better than FSR (in my opinion)
running 160mm both ends (also have 150mm f/140mm r set up for long XC days...)

Liteville 301...

Hi everyone, you may have recently read a review in either the Australian mountain bike or the Mounatin Biking Australia of the Liteville 301? here some photos of two builds either end of the scale... the first could still be considered an AM setup although it is more orientated at marathon/XC endurance riders, whereas the second is a long travel AM setup built for fun and single trails and also letting it rip big on descends. Obviously a build in between would resemble an "AM" best, but these two builds mark both ends of the scale pretty well... enjoy ;-).

SV101035.jpgSV101032.jpgSV101033.jpg301 11kg build.jpg

Frame: Liteville 301
Travel frame / fork: 140/150mm
Fork: Talas 32 150mm 15 mm thru with Tune DC 15 QR axle
Drivetrain: XO redwin shifters and R derailleur, XTR cranks with Acros Ceramic BB, 22 + 36 Tooth ring + Bash ring)
Wheels: Tune Princess 15 / Prince X-12 hubs, NoTubes Alpine rims, Aerolite white spokes
Tyres: Crossmark 2.1 (with tubes)
Brakes: Formula R1's 180/180
Seat: Tune Speedneedle Marathon
Seatpost: Syntace P6 Full Carbon
Stem: Syntace F109
Bar: Syntace Duraflite 630mm
Grips: Syntace Screw-On
Extras's: Tune Uni Waterbottlecage, Syntace SCS Chain guide, Syntace Rockguard, Syntace Grinder 36 Bashring
Weight: 10.62kg

SV101056.jpgSV101071.jpgSV101048.jpg

Frame: Liteville 301
Travel: 160/160mm
Form: Talas 36
Drivetrain: XTR (9 speed cassette, tripple cranks with 22 and 36 tooth rings + bashring)
Wheels: Tune Edelweisz (King MK /Kong hubs, Stans Flow rims, Aerolite spokes)
Tyres: Fat Albert 2.4 (with tubes)
Brakes: Formula The One 180/180
Seat: Selle Italia SLR
Seatpost: Syntace P6 Alloy
Stem: Syntace F109
Bar: Syntace Vector Lowrider 740mm
Grips: Syntace Screw-On
Extras's: Tune Uni Bottlecage, Syntace SCS Chain guide, Syntace Rockguard, Syntace Grinder 36 Bashring, X-12 142x12 thru axle
Weight: 12.3kg

(PS: if you're keen to testride a Liteville, it looks like they will be available for a test ride in Melrose, see Over The Edge website http://otesports.com.au/blog/ ).

cressa

Likes Dirt
Here's my new sled... first ride tomorrow.

2011 Banshee Spitfire (XL)
160mm Lyrics
Fox RP23
Juicy 5's 160mm R 180mm F
SLX crankset
SRAM X9 with E-13 LG-1
1x9 32t ring, 11-34 cassette
785mm Race Face Atlas FR bars (think I will trim them down to 760 but will give it a spin first)
Clickity clickity Hope Pro Evo II on MTX 29 (nukeproof) rear and 20mm Imperial hub on a Single Track Front.

IMG_9944.jpg

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
My cromo hardtail

Gday. I thought I'd post my rig up. Its a home made frame, the details can be found here (Galah custom hardtail & Building info)

Here are some of the latest pics and some of the new spec I've just changed.

Galah custom cromo frame
FAS Pig Pro headset
08 Fox TALAS 36
Raceface Atlas AM cranks, 175mm
Azonic A-Frame pedals
Easton CNT Monkeylite DH Bars
Shimano Saint brakes 8 Inch front & rear with Straitline Xray levers
Aireal Industries 50mm Stem
Aireal Industries 20mm 32H front hub with Mavic 721.
Maxxis Highroller 2.5 dual ply front.
Aireal Industries 135 X 12mm 36H rear hub with Alex DX32.
Maxxis Ardent 2.4 dual ply rear.
At the moment its running single speed, 16 X 38.

IMAG0292.jpgIMAG0294.jpgIMAG0296.jpgIMAG0299.jpgIMAG0301.jpg