Post your all mountain bike

Big JD

Wheel size expert
New Yeti

New trail bike - thanks to Jon here on RB. After 8 years on 29ers it was time to get something fun and flickable.

2010 ASR5 Extra Large
Fox 32 Talas 140/110
Answer 730mm Carbon Bar and ESI chunkies
Chris King headset
XTR shifters
Formula The One 180 front / 160 rear
Thomson Stem (100mm)
XTR crankset
Chris King bottom bracket.
XT pedals
XT front derailleur
Saint rear derailleur
XTR Chain
XT Cassette
Wheels are Mavic ST
Rocket Ron UST 2.2 rear and Nobby front
Ibeam post and SDG saddle - Joplin 4 on the way.

Attachments

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
My bro has been wanting to get involved in mtb for a while. He finally bit the bullet on a sweet 2012 Trek Remedy 8, with some 2013 SLX cranks, Renthal Bar @720mm and a 60mm red Truvativ stem.

Maiden voyage yesterday and he's all over it. :grouphug:

I think we should of called each other to sort out what we were wearing, so we didn't like so same same haha! :p

Nomad-Remedy.jpg

MB

Intense Australia
New trail bike - thanks to Jon here on RB. After 8 years on 29ers it was time to get something fun and flickable.

2010 ASR5 Extra Large
Fox 32 Talas 140/110
Answer 730mm Carbon Bar and ESI chunkies
Chris King headset
XTR shifters
Formula The One 180 front / 160 rear
Thomson Stem (100mm)
XTR crankset
Chris King bottom bracket.
XT pedals
XT front derailleur
Saint rear derailleur
XTR Chain
XT Cassette
Wheels are Mavic ST
Rocket Ron UST 2.2 rear and Nobby front
Ibeam post and SDG saddle - Joplin 4 on the way.
That's a fine bicycle you have there JD, good to see you back on a dually and having fun! IMO the ASR 5 was (is) one of the greats, a lovely bike to ride...

aanon

Likes Dirt
Hey JD nice yeti.
How about a quick ride report/comparo re going back to a 26 after a 29er.
Most people are getting on the big wheels and we are forever hearing how great they are and thats all good, but . . . . . . .
Having spent stacks of time on a 29er ,what are your views.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys. I'm about to bite the bullet and buy my first brand new frame. I'm looking at a Santa Cruz Heckler from Jonny Sprockets up in Toowoomba. The frame comes stock with a Float RL, but for an extra $295 i could updrage it to an RP23 kashima. From experience, is there any real difference performance wise? I know there is, but outright for a beginner in AM do you think it would be worth the extra $300 to upgrade, or am i better of waiting to blow it and then purchasing a new one when it does? I know when the going gets tough i tend to become a plow rider, so a little nervous about if this cheaper shock could take a thrashing or not.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Re: Heckler

Considering there's 150mm of single pivot to control, I'd go with a multi adjustable RP23 but near $300? I understand the dilemma.

See if you can upgrade to a non Kashima model for less bucks, you don't need the gold coat!

You'll have fun on the range, they make great simple trail bikes....mini Bullits!

Last edited:

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride a single pivot Downhill bike, im used to and love single pivot suspension. Hence the heckler was what i was leaning too. Ill give Jonny a call this arvo see how i go :p If not, might go for a bit of bling then after all ;)

crowash

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys. I'm about to bite the bullet and buy my first brand new frame. I'm looking at a Santa Cruz Heckler from Jonny Sprockets up in Toowoomba. The frame comes stock with a Float RL, but for an extra $295 i could updrage it to an RP23 kashima. From experience, is there any real difference performance wise? I know there is, but outright for a beginner in AM do you think it would be worth the extra $300 to upgrade, or am i better of waiting to blow it and then purchasing a new one when it does? I know when the going gets tough i tend to become a plow rider, so a little nervous about if this cheaper shock could take a thrashing or not.
Hey Mate,

I have the 2011 Heckler with an RP23, firstly sensational bike, a real all rounder, if only its rider was.
I had my heart set on the rp23 from the start but to be honest I don't think it makes much difference. Firstly I don't notice any pedal bob so tend not to use the propedal at all, secondly there is a bit of talk that the rp23 on the Heckler eats through the travel. I'm still tweaking the settings, I don't notice it bottom out but I use most of the travel very quickly. the fix is proposed to be installing a shim when you send it in for a service (or DIY) and I'll be looking into it.
For the $300 I'd be looking into a dropper post first, a much better investment for an AM rig, I don't think the RP23 any tougher than the Float RL.

My only other advice is to get the Green one, they are hell fast!

Ash

Big JD

Wheel size expert
That's a fine bicycle you have there JD, good to see you back on a dually and having fun! IMO the ASR 5 was (is) one of the greats, a lovely bike to ride...
Thank you Moonman - only issue is the previous owner cut the steerer so short. Either need Grip sport extension or new uppers. Need around 20-30mm spacers to get in right position. Hope you are good mate

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hey JD nice yeti.
How about a quick ride report/comparo re going back to a 26 after a 29er.
Most people are getting on the big wheels and we are forever hearing how great they are and thats all good, but . . . . . . .
Having spent stacks of time on a 29er ,what are your views.

So I had around 3 grand to spend on a FS bike and new was not an option - too entry level. I am over 40 years, 6.5 and 100kgs so no spring chicken.
I have owned 29er FS from Turner, Intense and Ventana and a host of HTs. I dont race and like general trail riding so efficiency wasnt vital. I just felt that 29ers tended to dull the riding experience and I wanted to ride something that was more fun, flickable , playful and stiffer (sounds like a Playboy bunny). There are current 29ers from Intense, Yeti, Transition, Lenz and Niner that have addressed many of the limitations of 29ers (real or percieved) but they are big bucks.
The Yeti 5 is alot of fun, is very capable, is stiffer, quicker of the mark, is better in the tight twisty stuff, handles quick changes in direction better and jumps/stunts so much better, is nippy, manuals great and is more flickable than any of the FS 29ers I have owned. It is alot of fun but it is not as efficient as a 29er.
The 26er is not as fast on the flat (doesnt carry the same momentum) and requires slightly more effort to maintain pace. It doesnt roll over small bumps as well - looses a touch of speed but really comes down to your power input and position on the bike. Is is not as stable as a 29er due to its shorter wheelbase but this adds to the 26ers playfulness and the 29ers dull / truck like feel. I feel that you have to ride the trail with a greater feel on a 26er than the mow over everything feel of a 29er. This also adds to greater precision required. Like using a scalpel or a butter knife to cut paper. There are things I miss about 29er FS bikes - they are fast, unstoppable, fit big blokes great and are very efficient machines - (especially climbing and open fast trails) but they are also heavier, not as stiff and comparitively over priced for similar 26er offerings.
If I was a racer then 29ers are king. If I was looking for a HT then 29ers again. SSing - definately 29ers. General trail bike that can do everything then 26ers still rule. If you can only have one bike then it needs to be fun and not too specific - that is not to say a SS HT 29er cant work but I am too old and grumpy to be worried about efficiency - need some comfort - FS for me. I have a SS rigid steel 29er for commuting and Yarra trails.
I would love a Yeti 29er or a Lenz as my FS bike in the future but the Yeti 5 26er is more than enough for the time I have available to ride and to maximise the fun factor.
"Regrets - Ive had a few and may i say to few to mention" - Frank Sinartra and Johnny Rotten.
My advice for the general rider - get the best bike you can afford (new or secondhand)- regardless of wheelsize

Last edited:

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Im running XO shifters, weight comes in at 13kg straight!
13 flat? thats pretty good.
I though my remedy would be lighter being the smaller and carbon frame with the same forks. My wheels are around 1800 or just under and set up tubeless, what are the rovals? I thought they were closer to 2kg. I guess the triple ring and alu cranks add a bit compared to the carbon double.
I'll let you know if a ride up the hill goes ahead with Craig this Sun.......

MB

Intense Australia
Thank you Moonman - only issue is the previous owner cut the steerer so short. Either need Grip sport extension or new uppers. Need around 20-30mm spacers to get in right position. Hope you are good mate
Oh that's a bit sad about your steerer bud, well hopefully you'll get it sorted soon. With any luck I'll be posting my new AM rig here very soon.... Stay tuned buddy, I think you'll like this one!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
13 flat? thats pretty good.
I though my remedy would be lighter being the smaller and carbon frame with the same forks. My wheels are around 1800 or just under and set up tubeless, what are the rovals? I thought they were closer to 2kg. I guess the triple ring and alu cranks add a bit compared to the carbon double.
I'll let you know if a ride up the hill goes ahead with Craig this Sun.......
Yeah, it went up a bit, then lighter seat followed by XO shifters, foam grips etc, bought it to 13 flat, the forks were not a massive penalty, my weight reduction comes from the wheelset, they are light, and carbon cranks etc, i dont have bottle cage and pumps or bags hanging off it either!..sounds good for weekend, somebody said to me, gee Craigs quick!

Damienp

Likes Dirt
I would say my next frame will be for 650b.

Either an Intense or Santa Cruz. The rumored 650b Blur LTc is looking to be awesome and the new offerings from intense (kudos to Steiber and Co for getting on with the job of getting these frames to market so early) are looking sensational.