Post your all mountain bike

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 274414

2014 Trance SX, 2 rides old, yep, it does everything better.

Changes from stock, Wolftooth 32t, Monarch plus shock.

Giant have maintained the pedaling efficiency of the old Trance but added the handling of the Reign. With the Monarch Plus shock the rear feels in control. If you're running a Monarch or Float, save your pennies and put the Plus on top of your shopping list.

Schwalbe Rock Razor rear tyre? Minimal braking ability, rolls fine, climbs loose stuff ok, but when bombing the big side knobs come alive and give good traction.

Fox 34 Talas, definitely do a good job & the on the fly adjust ability make the Trance SX a go everywhere machine.

Overall out of the box the Trance SX is ready to run with the big boys.

Next possible upgrade would be the brakes to some quad piston weapons, but for what they are the Shimano Deore (aka 2013 SLX) do a good job.
The new trances are so rad, I'm loving mine
btw you're missing a chain ring bolt

Santino

Cannon Fodder
View attachment 274414

2014 Trance SX, 2 rides old, yep, it does everything better.

Changes from stock, Wolftooth 32t, Monarch plus shock.

Giant have maintained the pedaling efficiency of the old Trance but added the handling of the Reign. With the Monarch Plus shock the rear feels in control. If you're running a Monarch or Float, save your pennies and put the Plus on top of your shopping list.

Schwalbe Rock Razor rear tyre? Minimal braking ability, rolls fine, climbs loose stuff ok, but when bombing the big side knobs come alive and give good traction.

Fox 34 Talas, definitely do a good job & the on the fly adjust ability make the Trance SX a go everywhere machine.

Overall out of the box the Trance SX is ready to run with the big boys.

Next possible upgrade would be the brakes to some quad piston weapons, but for what they are the Shimano Deore (aka 2013 SLX) do a good job.
Nice ride, i'm close to pulling the trigger on one myself, but i'm a little put off by the 34 Talas Evolution and was wondering if you could elaborate on its performance a little. Granted, i haven't ridden one, but from what i've read the small bump sensitivity is supposed to be sub par and that it tends to blow through its travel, thus requiring higher air pressure than desired and further diminishing its sensitivity.

Jacob.R

Likes Bikes
09 Giant Trance X3

XS Frame

Fox Float R forks with 15mm thru-axle
Fox Float R rear shock
Avid Juicy 5 brakes
Shimano XT gear shifters
Shimano SLX rear derailleur
Shimano Deore front derailleur
Sram cassette
Race face handle bars
Race face stem
Mavic MX 117 disc rims
Kenda Nevergal tires

Last edited:

oriion

Likes Dirt
XS Frame

Fox Float R rear shock
Avid Juicy 5 brakes
Shimano XT gear shifters
Sram cassette
Race face handle bars
Race face stem
Mavic MX 117 disc rims
Kenda Nevergal tires

Looking to sell
oh look what a surprise, this looks legit

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Huffy XS Frame

Fox Float R rear shock
Avid Juicy 5 brakes
Shimano XT gear shifters
Sram cassette
Race face handle bars
Race face stem
Mavic MX 117 disc rims
Kenda Nevergal tires

Picked up in Adelaide, also up on Facebook.

Looking to get banned
Should improve your chances no end.....

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Nice ride, i'm close to pulling the trigger on one myself, but i'm a little put off by the 34 Talas Evolution and was wondering if you could elaborate on its performance a little. Granted, i haven't ridden one, but from what i've read the small bump sensitivity is supposed to be sub par and that it tends to blow through its travel, thus requiring higher air pressure than desired and further diminishing its sensitivity.
Not overly excited by the small pump feel, no not blowing through the travel. After running the the Monarch Plus shock if I had the bucks I'd definitely get some Pikes. I run the 34's on the descend mode (softest) everywhere with a quick rebound and has handled everything from hard pack to gnarly loose so I'm not disappointed in their performance. Riding buddies have the Factory series with a few more features and Kashima stanchions and love them.

I'm not a self confessed 650b lover but they do lots of what the marketing departments preach. The Trance SX rides up with ease and can fly with the best of them down. During our honeymoon period (3 days) I've thrown a lot at my Trance SX from old sketchy downhill track, smoking single track to fire road climbs and I haven't found the limit (of the bike) yet.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
What's the consensus on the kashima coating? I got it on my ride but I'm not really sure of how much difference it actually makes.

Bodin

GMBC
What's the consensus on the kashima coating? I got it on my ride but I'm not really sure of how much difference it actually makes.
Can't say I've specifically noticed it over the fork on my previous ride, but my riding buddy keeps commenting on how much more the fork visually moves, especially over choppy stuff. If I'm not noticing it, it's probably a good sign.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I have it on 2012 36's with the fit cartridge, they are awesome forks, plenty of adjustment to get the small bumps evened out, plus through the mid range and fully compressed they work a charm. I have rebuilt them myself and did the oil and service etc, which freed them up even better, im a pretty big fan of them.
Im running a 2011 spesh stumpy evo, it had 150/32 fox fork on it, it didnt impress me at all, then i put the 160/36's on, wow what a difference. But i also love revelations too??

0psi

Eats Squid
+ 1 to what most here have said. I've ridden Kashima and Non-Kashima back to back and the difference was certainly noticeable. Kashima felt much more supple over the small bumps.

Keen to hear what people thoughts are on the Kashima vs. Rock Shox black stantion thingy.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+ 1 to what most here have said. I've ridden Kashima and Non-Kashima back to back and the difference was certainly noticeable. Kashima felt much more supple over the small bumps.

Keen to hear what people thoughts are on the Kashima vs. Rock Shox black stantion thingy.
I dont think rockshocks black treatment is meant to do anything, it's just for aesthetics. They couldn't get the pro-spec black box black stanchions to be reliable enough for general consumer use.

I've found kashima to be more supple, but I also think it needs a little more pressure to compensate for not flying through all the travel.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Kashima is noticable on DH forks and rear shocks.

It isn't (IME) noticable on short and mid-travel forks. They introduced low-friction seals around the same time as Kashima, the seals make far more difference in feel and small bump compliance than stanchion coatings do. The DRCV fork improves on small bump performance it even moreso.

Then again, I think (anecdotally) that kashima looks blingin', and resists scratches far better than non-kashima uppers.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt

My last faithful steed.

So after a fairly patient wait, I picked up the new beast yesterday.
This thing is awesome. Light, stiff and fast as hell.
The 275 wheels were a gamble, but I'm really happy with them.

FRAME: Trance advanced carbon
FORKS: fox 34 160 talas
SHOCK: Float X
SHIFTER: XO1 11 speed- awesome!
BRAKES: Elixer trail 9s
TYRES: Hans damf + rock razor
THE REST: lots of giant bits lol

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
So after a fairly patient wait, I picked up the new beast yesterday.
This thing is awesome. Light, stiff and fast as hell.
The 275 wheels were a gamble, but I'm really happy with them.

FRAME: Trance advanced carbon
FORKS: fox 34 160 talas
SHOCK: Float X
SHIFTER: XO1 11 speed- awesome!
BRAKES: Elixer trail 9s
TYRES: Hans damf + rock razor
THE REST: lots of giant bits lol
Not normally a fan of the giants looks, but the new trances look good, especially the black and grey finish on the carbon.