Post your all mountain bike

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
People probably sick of me asking - how tall are you/what size frame did you go with? I emailed Defcon cycles a while ago, still haven't heard from them, I'm really keen on this bike after all I heard.
I'm 189cm and ride a large rune, I find it a perfect fit. I haven't seen an xl in the flesh though...

monkeynuts

Likes Bikes
No worries. Wheel set was 1405g with valves and tape which helps a bit. I did not go nuts weight wise but did think about each purchase. Bike is still pretty burly.

Frame Yeti SB5c
Shock Fox CTD / Corset Sleeve
Fork Pike Solo 150
Rims LB 35mm carbon
Hubs Tune King / Kong
Spokes DT Revo / Comp
Axle Extralite
Tyres Onza Ibex 2.4 / Canis 2.2
Rotors Quaxar 180/160
Crankset X01
Cassette XTR
Chainring AB 32t
Pedals XTR
Chain XTR
Rear Der XTR
Brakes XTR
Shifter XTR
Cable kit XTR
Headset Tune Bubi
BB Enduro
Bars EC90SL
Stem Tune 50mm
Seatpost Reverb Stealth
Seat collar Tune
Seat Bonty Evoke RXL
Grips Esi

Nice build. I'm looking at either a spitty or a rune myself, currently ride a remedy. I'm curious as to why you swapped out from the spitfire to the rune, what was it that you felt spitfire wasn't enough for?
cheers
after racing an enduro late last year in cairns, and then this year the ews in rotorura, i found the spitfire on fast, steep terrain bottom out a lot at speed. it resulted in a blown rear shock the day before racing in roto. i could probably have set the shock (ccdb) up better? i think any other shock than the ccdb would have let go sooner. that shock is worth an extra 10mm of travel on its own. the spitfire was great on bombing the rough stuff and cornered with much greater stability than the spec-enduro id had, but just seem to run out of travel on that real fast steep stuff. lighter guys probably have less of an issue with that? im 90kg with gear and pack. from almost day one id thought i should reduce the front end travel from 160 to 150 to just help balance the bike out. the rune with 160 front and rear does, in my opinion feel slightly more balanced. it jumps built ramps a little easier, it kinda 'pops'. i also like the longer wheelbase and when you shift the dropouts to lower the rear end it keeps the bb height comfortable - where you dont have to start thinking your going to hit stuff.

People probably sick of me asking - how tall are you/what size frame did you go with? I emailed Defcon cycles a while ago, still haven't heard from them, I'm really keen on this bike after all I heard.
..im 185 and 90kg with kit. frame size is large. im running a 60mm stem (after starting with a 40, then a 50mm). try ben at singletracks.com.au. he is mr banshee

monkeynuts

Likes Bikes
Cant fault one thing on the beauty.
Well played sir
Thanks. Has been a while coming and nice to have all built up now. First impressions are pretty good! (Coming from an Yeti ASR5c)

Fcuk me.
LoL, XTR x forever, Tune x forever. Yeah you could go lighter but not by much. Tune hubs etc are pretty much the lightest, XTR close too. Nice build.
Indeed.
True, not too much more could be taken off without sacrificing the bikes ability, normal width rims and lighter tyres etc but what’s the point? I am going to swap out the rear tyre for another Ibex as it’s currently a little under done for the bike.

I did go slightly over budget ha ha!

scblack

Leucocholic
No worries. Wheel set was 1405g with valves and tape which helps a bit.
Wow, that's lighter than my roadie wheels, and they are far from cheapie boat anchors. My Campagnolo Shamal road wheels weigh 1440gm.

For AM wheels to be lighter is pretty amazing.

Nice bike.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
after racing an enduro late last year in cairns, and then this year the ews in rotorura, i found the spitfire on fast, steep terrain bottom out a lot at speed. it resulted in a blown rear shock the day before racing in roto. i could probably have set the shock (ccdb) up better? i think any other shock than the ccdb would have let go sooner. that shock is worth an extra 10mm of travel on its own. the spitfire was great on bombing the rough stuff and cornered with much greater stability than the spec-enduro id had, but just seem to run out of travel on that real fast steep stuff. lighter guys probably have less of an issue with that? im 90kg with gear and pack. from almost day one id thought i should reduce the front end travel from 160 to 150 to just help balance the bike out. the rune with 160 front and rear does, in my opinion feel slightly more balanced. it jumps built ramps a little easier, it kinda 'pops'. i also like the longer wheelbase and when you shift the dropouts to lower the rear end it keeps the bb height comfortable - where you dont have to start thinking your going to hit stuff.
Really interesting read, my experiences with the Rune are exactly this, I find it really well balanced and lively to ride.

Although your findings that the spitfire gets overwhelmed when ridden seriously is at odd's with the RB brain trust with ensures that the spitfire is more than capable of anything and the rune is overkill :whistle:

slowmick

38-39"
Psimpson7 - schweet looking ride sir. the blue is a nice touch on the wheels - now go ride the wheels off it. :thumb: