Post your All MTN/Funduro hardtail

Koper25

Likes Dirt
The BFe looks awesome, I was on my list of bikes to get a few months ago, I'm riding one of these at the moment (2014 Kona Honzo).
20140423_145347.jpg

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
not quite a AM bike yet...but this is pics of the custom frame i have had built by a guy in perth. straight gauge chromo, 68 HA, 74 Seat tube, 390mm stays, 600mm top tube. 5.4lbs unpainted.
using paragon machine works Polydrops. 142x12 replaceable axle inserts, inboard mounted post mount caliper, shimano direct mount hanger and provides the split in the frame for gates carbon drive.

build is going to be:
pike rct3 solo 150mm
zee rear mech and shifter
race face evolve NW
xt brakes front and rear
enve risr carbon bars
light bicycle 33mm hookless rims on hope pro2 evo
chromag trailmaster ltd saddle
Ks lev Ti 150mm

p4pb11016744.jpg
p4pb11016745.jpg

mb63

Likes Bikes
Here's my decade, it's pretty much about where I am finally happy with it, probably a halflink chain is about all I'd change but then again...................image.jpg

slowmick

38-39"
Quick question for the all mountain hardtail aficionados - is aluminium or steel a better bet for a frame material?

I have been looking at frames on the net and for around $500 the options seem to be the Cotic BFE and the On One 456 in steel or the Dartmoor Hornet and Primal in Aluminium.

I am a bigger bloke with very little style to my riding so I'd need soemthing that can take a bit of a beating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rone

Eats Squid
Quick question for the all mountain hardtail aficionados - is aluminium or steel a better bet for a frame material?

I have been looking at frames on the net and for around $500 the options seem to be the Cotic BFE and the On One 456 in steel or the Dartmoor Hornet and Primal in Aluminium.

I am a bigger bloke with very little style to my riding so I'd need soemthing that can take a bit of a beating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

All the named frames would be strong enough, however, steel possesses a compliance in its ride that makes alloy frames feel harsher by comparison.

Alloy : Lighter and stiffer, but harsher to ride.

Steel : Stronger and better riding, but heavier.

I'm 98kg and would choose steel all day long. From the above I would be getting the 456 EvoII.

slowmick

38-39"
thanks for the help guys. seems steel is the go for the ample man.

Rone - only problem i have with the 456 Evo II is the 650B version seems to be a whole lot more versatile (44mm head tube and a 30.9 seat post) than the 26" version. the numbers seems to be very similar so am wondering if i could run he 650B version with 26" wheels.

Also, I've never broken a derailleur hanger but have bent plenty. what happens when it is part of the drop out? I guess it would be off to GripSport for a replacement?

i spend too much time on the net.

Cheers.

Reece_STP2

Likes Bikes
Post your All MTN hardtail

I'm in the same boat at the moment and have been looking into the 45650b and running it 26 until the budget allows for a new wheel set.

I think there are a few people running them 26 which drops the bb height a smidge. But some chunky tyres will sort that out.

I've also been reading some good things about the Transition Trans-Am. Big price jump, but I do like the option to run single speed. This option also makes for an easy fix if a hanger break occurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for the help guys. seems steel is the go for the ample man.

Rone - only problem i have with the 456 Evo II is the 650B version seems to be a whole lot more versatile (44mm head tube and a 30.9 seat post) than the 26" version. the numbers seems to be very similar so am wondering if i could run he 650B version with 26" wheels.

Also, I've never broken a derailleur hanger but have bent plenty. what happens when it is part of the drop out? I guess it would be off to GripSport for a replacement?

i spend too much time on the net.

Cheers.
Stick some surly dirt wizards 26+ under the 650b version and you'll be sweet. Bike will be awesome fun too!

I've owned a couple of bikes with steel hangers. It takes a lot more to break them, usually the derailleur will break first. They might get a little bent, but steel bends back into shape easily. I prefer replaceable hangers, but you can't have it all!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
DSC_0102.jpg
ABD Flow 2
RS Revelations RLT TI
Spank rims with DT hubs
NS Cro-mo bars
Avid cr brakes with goodridge braided lines
SDG bel air saddle and I-beam post
DMR headlock stem
raceface evolve crank
sram gears
specialized control tyres (captain and purgatory)
odi lock-on TLD grips
E13 chainguide
also have horizontal dropouts for this frame, so can fit SS if gears start to shizzle me
###wanting to swap this for a fat bike, pm if keen###

Last edited:

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
not quite a AM bike yet...but this is pics of the custom frame i have had built by a guy in perth. straight gauge chromo, 68 HA, 74 Seat tube, 390mm stays, 600mm top tube. 5.4lbs unpainted.
using paragon machine works Polydrops. 142x12 replaceable axle inserts, inboard mounted post mount caliper, shimano direct mount hanger and provides the split in the frame for gates carbon drive.

build is going to be:
pike rct3 solo 150mm
zee rear mech and shifter
race face evolve NW
xt brakes front and rear
enve risr carbon bars
light bicycle 33mm hookless rims on hope pro2 evo
chromag trailmaster ltd saddle
Ks lev Ti 150mm

View attachment 292069
View attachment 292070
Who did you use in Perth to build your bike?

Thanks

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
well here it is. i want to take it out for some proper photos soon. its a really hard frame colour to capture, in real life its a lot more greener than faded yellow.
build is as follows

Descendance custom chrmo frame with Paragon Machine Works Polydrops 142x12
Hope Pro 2 Evo laced to Light Bicycle 33mm Carbon AM wheels, DT Swiss Comp spokes
Pike RCT3 150mm
XT brakes on180mm and 160mm icetechs
Zee Rear D and Shifter
Race Face Evolve NW
KS LEV Ti 150mm dropper
Chromag Trailmaster LTD
ENVE RSR 740mm carbon bar
Hope 35mm stem
ODIxVans lockons
Deity Compound pedals
i do have a 42t one-up cassete extender, but with the direct mount hanger, i couldnt get the little Zee derauillier to shift it. will be upgrading to an XT med cage to remedy

slowmick

38-39"
That is one hell of a bike Ned - no corners cut. Have had a chance to hit the trails? Is this your only bike?

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
Nah haven't hit the trails yet unfortunately. Hopefully this weekend. It's technically not my only bike but your thinking is right and I have did the geo and build as if it were my only bike. I have a 2010 giant faith 0 for when the going down gets a bit much for the hardtail and a SS steel commuter for when dragging dirt tires around is too painful. But this bike will fill the very wide gap between these two.