Post your All MTN/Funduro hardtail

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
What gear ratio are you running?
I started with 34x16. That was a world of pain!

I'm now on 34x20 but will try and toughen up to an 18 tooth cog.

Yea... I really thought that riding a Single Speed would turn me into a Ballerina on the trail, all smooth, light and nimble.
Instead it's just turned me into the Hulk, Grunting and swearing as I smash into things struggling to maintain what little momentum I have.

Pinch climb: Hulk Smash!

Step up: Hulk Smash!

Rock garden: Hulk Smash!

Overpriced Craft Brew: Hulk Smash!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
kneebuster 5000 on chainstay. Best name.

3 yrs doing nothing but ss, i found it really helpful to sorta kick the pedals and try to climb up tech like i was on a trials bike. saves knees.

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Very sweet rig!
How are you finding the Progress wheel set? And did you get it here in Oz, or order from OS?
Cheers,
Juz
My newly built up Stanton Switchback next gen in 16.5 long. It's nice where I work, you can get some decent shots in.
Pretty much Hope everything in orange, 150mm MRP Stage forks, ilink cables and Progress MT+ Wheel set.

Just dialing it in at the moment but I'll iron out any kinks on my weekend ride. I'll get that saddle down and some dirt on it then :)

View attachment 337135

My Ride - Ragley Blue Pig 275+

This thing is an absolute beast!

Running Fox Talas 110/140 29er fork - same axle to crown as specced for 150mm 275
Spank Oozy 395+ (35mm internal) wheels
Maxxis Rekon+ tyres for now - new DHF in 2.8 size waiting to go on
XT brakes
Reverb internal routed dropper
SLX shifty changy stuff - 36 front 11-42 rear
Ragley colour matched stem and bars

Did I say beast? I am way quicker on this thing than on my old dual suss bike and on any enduro bike I have ridden. It climbs well, though is a little harder than my XC bike to get around tight uphill corners. Traction of a tractor down hill though.

Photo from Stromlo a few weeks back... and yes I ride those trails quite often

IMG_1085_small.jpg

loc81

Likes Dirt
Firstly, all these recent posts and build have been amazing. Lots of great hard tails out there yet I rarely see any on the trails!
Warning! Long story. TL;DR I built my wife a sweet hard tail.
Here's my newest project- my wife's Ragley mmmbop.
My wife you ask? Grab a cuppa and I'll tell you the story.
Some of you may have seen my Cotic 26" BFe's on here. The second frame I had, the "2016 revised edition" was awesome- it was my pride and joy but once I got back on a dually again (2017 trance advanced) with its longer reach and wheelbase, riding the BFe felt small, even though I stepped up to a large frame.
Now to my wife. She was a fairly competent rider many years ago but had pretty much 4 years away from the bike from 2 kids, the weight gain that comes along with 2 kids and moving to self employment. Now the kids are at a better age and she lost a heap of weight- something I'm super proud of so I figured I'd sell the 26" BFe and put that money towards her own bike so she can go enjoy what I've been doing myself for so long. What a hero huh?
I started looking at sub 2k hard tails and found very, very little that I wanted to throw my money at, especially when that money was coming from a bike I enjoyed so much. The spec was usually entry level (like deore groupset and something like a Rockshox sektor fork) and the geometry was mostly too cramped and racey xc style. Great for going up but too far forward on the bike for heading downward. My wife is the same height as me so I was really critical of the next bikes geometry to make sure it had plenty of reach and a slack head angle to make it a confident bike to ride on any tricky terrain- nice and stable!
Basically I wanted A bike that I would be happy to ride and not a cheap spec compromise. The challenge was getting the bike I wanted in geometry and spec but with a strict 2K or less budget.
Plenty of good options on CRC for AM frames. Staying with my thrifty attitude this mmmbop frame is identical to the classic blue pig frame but aluminium instead of steel so I sold my soul, went to the dark side of Ali and saved a heap of cash. It's about half the price of the blue pig but has all the boxes ticked: 64 degree HA, 650mm reach, internal dropper routing and although it's not boost, it's 142x12 rear axle.
SLX 1x11 full groupset with brakes on CRC for $580 is a goddamn bargain.
Fox 160mm fork- snagged a bargain on NSW MTB trading post on Facebook and even had room in the budget to give it a full service.
Stans rims on XT hubs found by a riding buddy and fellow hard tail enthusiast, dirt cheap through his mate. Almost new and threw in rotors and tyres!
Ragley brand stem and 770mm bars
Everything you see here plus parts to service fork and taking to my LBS to do the shifter cable and trim brake lines was probably $1900. So much bang for buck!!
Personally, I've only had a quick car park spin but it feels fantastic. I have no doubts that I'll ride this thing a bit in the future but at this stage I'm happy to have built up such a wicked bike for my wife to get back into the sport. She has labelled it "Frankenbike" due to her original disapproval of having a "built up" bike over a "ready from the shop" model she was originally content with owning. Her first small ride was last weekend and the bike bug has bitten her again which is the most important thing. No concerns about going OTB and was digging the 27.5 wheels haha.

Reckon my Nukeproof Scout came in at about the same budget.
Would be better value now though with the frames almost half price on what I paid.
Bike looks great. Story is mint. And a happy wife is key.
Have gone back to alloy after a steel BFe too. Pretty happy with it all, bike fits me better so that makes up for a lot of the difference in feel.
I'm glad that my wife doesn't ride, she would soon learn all my tricks and subterfuge. Bike expenditure related that is.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Which adapter do you have on the rear for the 180 rotor?
Unless I'm seeing things...
I should warn you- this this is bright. Super bright! When I got it out of the box I thought "Jesus- what have I done?" But once it was built up, the black components gave it some contrast.
At the back is just a 180 "post to post" spacer. Pretty cool having the brakes tucked in like that!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Excellent!

I saw someone say that the 160-180 adapter didn't work on their BigWig, so I wasn't sure.

I'm prepared for bright, however I do wish it was more of a lime green. :)
Mine is gonna look fucked, haha... all the parts from my previous frame are black and anodized purple Hope bits. :smow:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Excellent!

I saw someone say that the 160-180 adapter didn't work on their BigWig, so I wasn't sure.

I'm prepared for bright, however I do wish it was more of a lime green. :)
Mine is gonna look fucked, haha... all the parts from my previous frame are black and anodized purple Hope bits. :smow:
Purple and green go together like Starsky and Hutch mate. Will be ace.