Post your All MTN/Funduro hardtail

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Looks super, definitely Avatar worthy.

Must really haul as a 29"er though, you wouldn't miss the 27.5" version that much I think.
Nothing wrong with the bike, I just don't like the feel of 29er's. It was certainly pretty rapid on flow trails though!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I loved the days of the Norco all mountain hardtails, I think we called them freeride hardtails back in the days of the Manik, the Sasquatch, Big foot etc. I've always regretted selling my Manik but I've now filled that void.
A few months ago I got my 2018 Norco Torrent. DVO Diamonds, alloy frame, plus size Spank 650B wheelset, 46t 11 speed, all the OneUp upgrades and 2.8 Maxxis tyres. I shit you not, this is the best hardtail I've ever ridden and I'm enjoying it more than I imagined, my other bikes are collecting dust!
Climbing is a breeze, the front stays planted and I have not noticed any extra difficulty with bigger tyres. She is a slug on the flat hardpack stuff but 18 PSI in the tyres will do that. ;) As for the downs; holy shit! Its so well balanced and ticks every box for perfect geometry that it feels so planted and predictable. I'm totally in love with it.
At speed it's a little twitchy as you'd expect but on the steep and techy stuff, its solid. That finish is a semi dull chrome paint too, it loves amazing. Potentially the best bike I've ever ridden.
39976720_10155787599876588_2665483139421306880_n.jpg

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Looks awesome. I was considering one of these recently but wanted a 29er in the end rather than a 27.5+ as I ride to the trails and wanted to be able to use it as a backup XC rig. Got a Honzo but that colour scheme of the torrent is a beauty.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Looks awesome. I was considering one of these recently but wanted a 29er in the end rather than a 27.5+ as I ride to the trails and wanted to be able to use it as a backup XC rig. Got a Honzo but that colour scheme of the torrent is a beauty.
I had my eyes on a Honzo for ages, years actually. I was committed to getting one but the price to finish one off the way I wanted was over $5,000. I sat on the idea for a couple of years and couldn't resist the Norco, it ticked every box and I'm so glad I did it.
I am considering a 29er wheelset for it for XC purposes too. I'm basically riding up a hill then down a hill on this guy and some cruisy loops here and there but won't be winning an XC race on it as it is. The thing is though, the Plus size tyre outer circumference is the same (or near enough) to that of a 29er tyre so I reckon I may just chuck some 650B2.3 wide tyres on it and see how that feels before I go for a new spare wheelset.
In comparison, I run a set of High Rollers on my 650B Tracer and they are turds compared to the 2.8 Minions on the Torrent. Its got me thinking that I am happy to go a big tyre and tons of knobbing on both bikes and just wander up the climbs.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Wheres the dvo diamondy writeup?

I too miss the manik/sasquatch days :( even though I was waaaaaay too cool for those hucktails and rocked a kona cowan in highlighter blue.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Wheres the dvo diamondy writeup?

I too miss the manik/sasquatch days :( even though I was waaaaaay too cool for those hucktails and rocked a kona cowan in highlighter blue.
Kona had some rad hardtails back then too! Not as good as the Norco's but still kicked butt.

I am gonna share some knowledge on the DVO's, the forks feel amazing, super responsive to adjustments and amazing direct support from their head mechanic. I was on the fence initially but adore them now.

slowmick

38-39"
@Dozer - i am confused - what OneUp upgrades did you make - was trying to figure out from the stock specs on the next. Digging the silver. there needs to be more silver/raw bikes in the world.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
@Dozer - i am confused - what OneUp upgrades did you make - was trying to figure out from the stock specs on the next. Digging the silver. there needs to be more silver/raw bikes in the world.
I took the TranzX dropper off it, wrapped it firmly in a used baby nappy and placed that in the rubbish then chucked a OneUp dropper on it. I also have the saucy OneUp flat pedals, the OneUp EDC in the steerer tube and I carry the OneUp pump under the bottle cage. I really rate the OneUp gear, damn fine products.
Edit: I also launched the SRAM Level brakes into the nearest stream, creek or estuary and chucked my old Code R's on while I wait for the Hope's to rock up. I also chucked a GX shifter on it so I could match-maker it.
The colour is astounding too, the brown on the forks and the bronze flashes really set it off, his name is Torrent-ino. ;)

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Kona had some rad hardtails back then too! Not as good as the Norco's but still kicked butt.

I am gonna share some knowledge on the DVO's, the forks feel amazing, super responsive to adjustments and amazing direct support from their head mechanic. I was on the fence initially but adore them now.
Good bikes all round, if you don’t look at those horrendous chainstay lengths :eek: my heart broke when they stopped making the ns bitch too

After sales service is what makes components/frames now, the playing fields pretty level on the performance front. You still should’ve swung em my way for a test first

The all important question, what colour hopes? Matching rotors? Lever adjust screws?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The all important question, what colour hopes? Matching rotors? Lever adjust screws?
I was gonna go for a different colour but nah, I've gone the basic black just to future proof myself if those brakes end up on another bike. They are the Tech E4's.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I built this recently for my son, he got sick of his bitsa 26" plus I like building bikes. Nearly everything is from my cast offs, second hand or purchased on sale.

Norco Torrent 15" frame
Fox 32 Fit 4's 120mm (I took them off my bike for DVO's)
Light Bicycle 35mm carbon wheels on Hope Pro 4's (gumtree bargain at $500)
GX 11 spd group with grip shift and Sunrace cassette
Shimano Saint brakes, rotors came with the wheels
Really old Travativ Noir carbon bars
Some old X01 carbon cranks with RaceFace 1x conversion
Kenda 2.8's on sale at pushy's for $30 each
Random Ebay pedals
God awful Ebay stem, need to find something else
Needs a dropper but he's too short still.