Post your All MTN/Funduro hardtail

loc81

Likes Dirt
Hey Y'all,

Very excited to show off my Cotic BFe!
This build came about after...
Etc, Etc, Etc..

View attachment 257709
As I sit at home doing absolutely f#*k all due to a broken bone in my hand thanks to an OTB experience over Easter, I thought if throw some thoughts up on the bike that is now collecting dust for a few more weeks at least!
To put it simply, this turned out to be a real fun bike to ride.
All this talk from Cotic about the geometry being "flickable" makes sense now- short and low without feeling like a midgets bike. Compared to my dually, I feel more involved in the ride. I was really surprised at how well this thing behaves on rough descents (spelling?) and the snappiness of climbing on a hardtail again too! The first few ride were quite odd and showed me just how lazy
I finally weighed it- coming in at 11.9kg was a bonus considering what the frame/bike is intended for.
Could I get it lighter? Maybe, but not by much without compromising its use. A lighter post and saddle could trim a bit but anything else -like the big tyres- would take away from it.
Someone mentioned fork length on here too? For me, all-round use on rough trails, I'm super happy with this 130mm length. If I was to dabble, I'd maybe go to 140mm but that would be it.
I'm certainly glad I took a chance on this build up and looking forward to getting back on the BFe!
BFe jump.jpg

Cheers,
Loc

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aweseome bike! All this hard tail madness makes me want one. I love the simplicity of them

aanon

Likes Dirt
Sick fun bike.
Same colour as mine too.
Coming from a dually it takes a few rides to get in tune with the whole hardtail thing (11yrs since my previous one) but when ya do , what a riot.

lb1

Likes Bikes
It's half built, but I couldn't resist posting :) Still need to put on brakes and gears etc.

Hopefully I can get it finished this week and ride it!

Frame - Cotic bfe
Front shock/fork - Bos Deville 140mm
Handlebars - Deity Dirty 30
Stem - Deity
Headset - Hope
Front brake - Hope M4
Rear brake - Hope M4
Cranks - Sram X9
Chainguide - Blackspire
Pedals - Deity
Front derailleur - none
Rear derailleur - Sram X9
Rear shifter - Sram X9
Cassette - Sram 12-36 / 32 NSB direct mount front ring
Front hub - Hope Pro2
Rear hub - Hope Pro2
Front rim - Flow ex
Rear rim - Flow ex
Tyres - High Roller 2 2.4
Total weight - Dunno yet!

Attachments

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Built this up on the weekend, had so many spare parts lying around I thought I'd put them to good use. I'd been eyeing these frames for a while now, was looking at a Cotic Bfe or Transition Transam but I think I was always set on getting one of these. Had a quick ride yesterday arvo and it blew me away. It seems to reward riding faster, in fact it just feels like it always wants to be pushed, ridden slow it feels like a lot of other bikes, but ridden hard the steel properties come out and the thing comes alive ! Pretty sure I was hitting a local DH section as fast as I would on the 5.5in AM bike, I could not believe it when I got to the bottom! I think it is a little slacker than the other bike (5.Spot), and with the short chainstays it feels so agile. Dropper post will be going on soon, and wider bars, and either a full chainguide or XX1 style ring. I'm extremely impressed with it and I have a feeling I'll be riding it more than other bike for a while...

Frame - Stanton Slackline 853
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Revelation
Handlebars - Sunline V1
Stem - Loaded AMXC 70mm
Grips - ODI Troy Lee
Headset - Cane Creek
Seatpost - Unknown 27.2mm, bloody heavy whatever it is
Saddle - WTB Volt
Brakes - Avid Elixer R
Rotors - 185mm f 160mm r
Cranks - Shimano SLX
Chainring - Renthal 32t
Chainguide - Blackspire / N-gear jump stop
Pedals - Loaded AMX
Rear shifter - Sram X9
Cassette - SRAM 11-34
Front Wheel - Marzocchi hub to Sun Singletrack
Rear Wheel - Deore hub to Sun Singletrack
Tyres - WTB Bronson AM 2.3

rone

Eats Squid
Built this up on the weekend, had so many spare parts lying around I thought I'd put them to good use. I'd been eyeing these frames for a while now, was looking at a Cotic Bfe or Transition Transam but I think I was always set on getting one of these. Had a quick ride yesterday arvo and it blew me away. It seems to reward riding faster, in fact it just feels like it always wants to be pushed, ridden slow it feels like a lot of other bikes, but ridden hard the steel properties come out and the thing comes alive ! Pretty sure I was hitting a local DH section as fast as I would on the 5.5in AM bike, I could not believe it when I got to the bottom! I think it is a little slacker than the other bike (5.Spot), and with the short chainstays it feels so agile. Dropper post will be going on soon, and wider bars, and either a full chainguide or XX1 style ring. I'm extremely impressed with it and I have a feeling I'll be riding it more than other bike for a while...

Frame - Stanton Slackline 853
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Revelation
Handlebars - Sunline V1
Stem - Loaded AMXC 70mm
Grips - ODI Troy Lee
Headset - Cane Creek
Seatpost - Unknown 27.2mm, bloody heavy whatever it is
Saddle - WTB Volt
Brakes - Avid Elixer R
Rotors - 185mm f 160mm r
Cranks - Shimano SLX
Chainring - Renthal 32t
Chainguide - Blackspire / N-gear jump stop
Pedals - Loaded AMX
Rear shifter - Sram X9
Cassette - SRAM 11-34
Front Wheel - Marzocchi hub to Sun Singletrack
Rear Wheel - Deore hub to Sun Singletrack
Tyres - WTB Bronson AM 2.3

That is really nice. Did consider a Slackline before settling on the BFe, largely because of dropper compatibility. And you're spot-on - they do get better the harder you ride them. I also have a 5.Spot gathering dust.

Iainm

Likes Dirt
Hey, I just found this thread - some nice bikes in there (and a few Giants).

Here for your viewing pleasure my 2007 Dialled - Prince Albert
20" 853 Mk1 Frame
Fox talas 32 140mm (SuperStar 9mm QR axle to stiffen up)
Hope pro2 on mavic 519 rims
Full XT
Indestructable Avid Juicy 5s
Gravity Light bars and stem
Hope bits

Designed for a 120mm fork but so much fun on 140

Dialled PA Glenrock (compressed).jpg

Last edited:

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's something different, the Prince Albert did come up when I was researching what frame I should buy, great frames from what I read. I would imagine with you being in North Ryde I've probably seen you riding in Lane Cove NP, I'm just across the valley in West Pymble..

Iainm

Likes Dirt
I think the best thing about the original 853 Prince Albert is that Mike at Dialled took the pretty much indestructable reynalds 520 PA and had an exact copy made out of 853. For those unfamiliar with reynalds 853 tubing - its a shitload stronger than easton 520/525 tubing so you can make the tubing much thinner and therefore lighter if your not a slightly mental bmx mogul.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One of the tidiest hardtails i have seen, awesome build mate, ruling.
Thanks, got a top guide on there now so no more dropped chains. For the first time in about 4 weeks I got on my other bike today and I can't say I had as much fun, though I've definately noticed my line choice has improved a lot since riding the hardtail :)

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought I might do an update on the old Cove Sanchez, this is the new build up:

Frame - Titanium Charge Blender
Front shock/fork - Fox RLC 100 Float - Tuned By NSDynamics
Handlebars - ENVE Carbon DH
Stem - Truvantiv
Headset - FSA Orbit MX Headset with Carbon Spacers
Grips - DMR Zip Grip
Saddle - A Crazy one, and surprisingly comfortable.
Seat-post - Token Pyrotec Carbon Seat-post
Front brake - Hope Tech M4 Evo, Clarks Light Weight Rotor
Rear brake - Hope Tech M4 Evo, Clarks Light Weight Rotor
Cranks - Shimano Saint M810
Chainguide - e-13
Chain - KMC X10 SL Gold 10spd
Pedals - DMR Vault Flat Pedals
Rear derailleur - Scram x0 - Black edition with Goodridge Gear Cable
Rear shifter - Scram x0 - Black edition
Cassette - Shimano XT M771 10 Speed
Front hub - Hope Hoops Pro2
Rear hub - Hope Hoops Pro2
Front rim - Mavic EX721
Rear rim - Mavic EX721
Spokes - Straight ones, hopefully
Nipples - yes
Tyres - Michelin Mountain Dry 2 Reinforced & maxxis advantage.
Total weight - 9Kg
IMG_3177.jpg
IMG_3181.jpg

Static 81

Likes Bikes
There are some real nice bikes in here!!

Thought I should post up my own.
2010 Norco Sasquatch
All stock at the moment, but changes are coming.

Browndog77

Likes Dirt
I am in the early stages of converting a Giant Talon 0 29er into a HT AM bike. I am sussing out dropper seat posts and I am looking at getting a set of forks with 120mm travel.

Just wondering how much a 120mm fork will stuff up the stock 100mm based geometry? Any experiences with doing similar conversions would be appreciated. Will it be more like a "chopper"? Is it worth getting the 120mm forks or just a good set of 100mm forks?

Cheers

Jesus loves me.... In a non sexual way.... As a mate

omac

Likes Dirt
You've all inspired me.

Iv got a old Banshee Sirocco that I use for trail riding but in the next month or so Im gunna give it some much needed TLC.

Pics coming soon...

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am in the early stages of converting a Giant Talon 0 29er into a HT AM bike. I am sussing out dropper seat posts and I am looking at getting a set of forks with 120mm travel.

Just wondering how much a 120mm fork will stuff up the stock 100mm based geometry? Any experiences with doing similar conversions would be appreciated. Will it be more like a "chopper"? Is it worth getting the 120mm forks or just a good set of 100mm forks?

Cheers

Jesus loves me.... In a non sexual way.... As a mate
120mm Forks will be fine mate. You really wont notice that much of a deference in regards to Geo.