Post your commuter!

Lorday

Eats Squid
Anyone running SS on their commuters?
What ratio?
Yes. I have two gearless commuters.
50:18 (I think). 172.5mm cranks. 700c w/ 25c tires. It's very nice.

49:19 (on the fixed gear. Brakeless). 170mm cranks. 700c w/ 35c tires. Also, very nice.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that an old Malvern Star triple butted crmo from the 80's?
They were a good frame.
I'm not sure what it is, as the frame had been powder-coated already when I bought it.

It's pretty 'solid', the paint might be hiding a multitude of sins though.

After looking through the entire thread I must say there's some pretty schmick commuters putting around.
I picked up this Reid Condor second hand for $100 a few weeks ago. I'd been needing a commuter for a while
and there was no way I was going to pass this one up at such a low price. After spending a day and $40 bucks
(including a new set of allen keys) on it she's running smooth. After putting about 100km on it, I can't complain.
538203_4027445482961_1617895680_n.jpg

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine is just about finished. An old Gordonson Spartan frame with some parts that I pinched off an old Repco Superlite that I got off my brother in law.
Not exactly a commuter since I can't ride to work (have to lug cleaning equipment around). But it will be my townie bike...ride (about 15km one way) to town on the weekends or whenever. And never know maybe I'll find a different job one day!

At the moment I'm going to try the 52/17 gear ratio by using the big ring and 17t sprocket on the freewheel just to see how that is and get some idea if I really do want to make this bike an SS or not.
I have two old bolt on derailleurs that don't need a hanger (which this bike doesn't have) but not sure weather they work well at all as I pretty much found them at the rubbish tip lol. Main reason why I figured going SS would be the easiest option on such an old bike. The Repco has a derailleur that works well but needs a built in hanger on the bike.
So far I've only brought the tyres, chain and bar tape new.....oh and the paint!

I could have kept the Repco Superlite complete instead of putting all the effort into this, but this frame was a better fit for me and I thought it was more versatile than the Repco which seems more oriented to racing.

Really look forward to the first ride now.

Last edited:

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Well this is my "to be" commuter, it also doubles as my first ground up build. I got inspired by following numerous builds here on this very forum. Building it from scratch was a thoroughly rewarding experience over the last couple of months. Looking forward to getting into the 15km each way trip to work & back.

For those who are keen on specs:

Frame - Carbon (20.5")
Fork - On One Carbon
Handlebars - Ritchey Comp Lo rise
Stem - Ritchey Comp
Headset - Token
Seat Clamp - Hope
Grips - Fluid Lock on
Saddle - Ritchey Comp
Seatpost - Ritchey Pro
Front brake - Deore hydraulic with 6" Rotor
Rear brake - Deore hydraulic with 6" Rotor
Cranks - Shimano SLX 44/32/22
Chain - SRAM PC-991
Pedals - Wellgo D2 Smoothies
Front derailleur - XT
Rear derailleur - XT
Front shifter - Shimano SLX
Rear shifter - Shimano SLX
Cassette - SRAM PG-950 11-28
Wheelset - Fulcrum Red Metal 5
Tyres - Schwalbe Marathon
Tubes - Ritchey
Total weight - 10.5Kg

After 2 months of flogging the online stores, Ebay for bargains & the LBS for support this is the final result.
Nice build. I did a very similar build. Same frame, same size. Went 3x9 with X0 triggers and RD, xt FD, elixir 7 rear only (still looking for a cheap front), vader saddle (they aren't bad actually) crossrides, detonators 1.25, syntace F99 w titanium (25.4), monkey lite carbon riser, foam lock ons, and I had some old parts giant seat post, marz bombers. Got it under 10 kg and total build cost me about 600. Use it for some training rides on the road. Unfortunately I live too far from work to commute :(

Quick question, its a 31.6 seat post? I'm using 30.9 but find I need a shim... If anyone is interested I'll post a pic.

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Nice build. I did a very similar build. Same frame, same size. Went 3x9 with X0 triggers and RD, xt FD, elixir 7 rear only (still looking for a cheap front), vader saddle (they aren't bad actually) crossrides, detonators 1.25, syntace F99 w titanium (25.4), monkey lite carbon riser, foam lock ons, and I had some old parts giant seat post, marz bombers. Got it under 10 kg and total build cost me about 600. Use it for some training rides on the road. Unfortunately I live too far from work to commute :(

Quick question, its a 31.6 seat post? I'm using 30.9 but find I need a shim... If anyone is interested I'll post a pic.
Yep. 31.6 seat post. One thing i found with this frame is that there isn't a hell of alot of tyre clearance between the chain stays where they meet the bb. 2.1 tyres are about the widest i could go. Tried 2.25 racing ralphs and got continual tyre rub. Hope you have better luck.

aanon

Likes Dirt
Found this on curb side collection in 08, the guy who was binning it said something along these lines ''It was made by Ricardo in the late 70s early 80s, Reynold 531 and nervex lugs, cost about a grand then''
I built the wheels and painted it, it's got Dura ace cranks, h/set and shifters, bit of a mix and match parts spec but seems to work well and i tried to keep it period correct (as best i could using existing parts i had)
Made the ''Shwobo'' (SHop,WOrk,BOttlo) stickers also.
Had fun building it and have fun riding it.

Attachments

your_neighbour

Likes Dirt
An old Apollo Himalaya Cromo frame pulled out of the scrap bin @ from LBS a few years back, some hard Alex A Class rubbish wheels, SKS guards. Wald front rack,and the rest is just bits and pieces lying around. 46:18,

Weighs a tonne, fat white walls soak up the pot holes nicely, only a short commute of 12km's return.

ANTMB2.jpgANTMB1.jpgANTMB3.jpg

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is my new commuter. Besides the wheels being heavy, it's working magically down the Hume Hwy and back so far.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Charge Duster Commuter

This is my commuter!

Bought it as a frame/fork - Charge Duster CroMo. Bolted on all bits and pieces I had lying around, so it has Easton EA30 stem/bars, SDG seat, hope headset, LX brakes/bottom bracket/cranks, Mavic 317 front rim on hope hub and rear wheel is a Mavic 321 on a Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub. Running Schwalbe Kojak 2.0 slicks. Super fun to ride and is totally silent with the slicks and Alfine hub.

P1020681.jpg

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are so good, I replaced them with BB7 Roads :)

But that was after 7000kms on the BB5's when the front pads finally wore out.
Mine has Hayes CX5 calipers. I've only used them about 5 times, after doing a few hard stops to bed them in, so far but they are a bit underwhelming at the moment.