Post your commuter!

binner

Hath shat hymself
Too cheap

Just bought one of these, can't go past 239 bucks delivered with bonus lights, lock and pump....just perfect for the commuter/pub bike......

Attachments

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Recently ditched the car in favour of jumping on the bike and train to work.

Had this since 2008 when I built it up for a 5 day ride along the Munda Biddi, hence the racks and bags.

Mix of XT and LX, with BB7 brakes and a set of Surly forks I scored for free from JensonUSA.

DSC01760.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I used to commute on a old Giant OCR3, but recently did some work on my old Reign and use that instead now.

WP_20150725_17_16_52_Pro[1]-min.jpg

Put in about 60-100km a week on that one and find it actually works pretty well as a commuter. Mostly I switched over because of a few incidents on the road bike resulting from the skinny tires. Skittled myself on a wet corner coming off a boarded bridge, had a few near misses with cars & pedestrians pulling out in front of me with no notice and I decided that I'd change something.

In the end, it added about 4min on average to my ride (a bit less than 10%), time I'm willing to spend. Comfort is great and I get an excuse to keep the old Reign up to spec and ready for the mountain at a moments notice.

I've still got the OCR as a backup and have used it once or twice for longer rides, but not for the regular commute anymore.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have gotten used to riding my lovely Defy Adv Pro, its such a nice thing to ride and makes the commute always fun.

Now have to go back to something I can not worry about getting banged up due to new office bike parking being dodgy. Might be time for a cheap aluxx Defy with Sora - not sure I can go back to the MTB for the commute!

ventura

Squid
some of you may have seen this in Post Your Ride, but i thought i share it here as well.

its a 1999 Klein Attitude Race, set up for commuting with slick tyres and 1x9.
The Klein enthusiast will remark that its not a real Klein as Trek already owned them at that point, but i still liked it when i saw it on ebay :)
doing about 75-100km a week for about a month now and its been great so far.

im thinking about a Dura Ace cassette at the back, anyone can recommend doing this?
Saves a little weight and i dont have too manly hills on my commute so it should be ok?

klein_3.jpg
klein_5.jpg
klein_9.jpg
klein_7.jpg
klein_2.jpg

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That Klein is very pretty. This isn't:

20151218_133925.jpg

2001 (I think?) Giant ATX 870. Abandoned by an old housemate. It's too small for me and the drivetrain makes crunchy noises but the wheels spin true, the brakes work and the forks feel supple(ish). Whole thing is surprisingly spritely actually despite its dog-eared appearance. Perfect pub bike.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
'Borrowed' this giant off a mate of mine, converted it to a flat bar and replaced just about everything on it bar the brakes, wheels, frame and forks. Nice to ride and the lowish weight makes up for my lack of fitness
giant1.jpg
giant.jpg

Benny Storer

Likes Bikes
Daily commuter - Kona Paddywagon

12376421_10153641841856311_1280483006605790121_n.jpg

This is my daily ride, an old Kona Paddywagon. Love this bike. After all these years it fits like an old leather work-glove, dialled. Log about 20km a day on it riding to work and home.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That Klein is very pretty. This isn't:

View attachment 323059

2001 (I think?) Giant ATX 870. Abandoned by an old housemate. It's too small for me and the drivetrain makes crunchy noises but the wheels spin true, the brakes work and the forks feel supple(ish). Whole thing is surprisingly spritely actually despite its dog-eared appearance. Perfect pub bike.
One of those was reviewed in one of the first few AMBs I bought as I was getting into mountainbiking. The forks were OK for the price point, the LX was solid and you would be hard pressed to find disc brakes on a stock bike for less. In 2001 dollars, I could only dream of having a bike like that - but I would have just wrecked it if I did.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
IMG_9896.JPG
There's a few bikes in my shed, but I like this one the most.
Retired from off-road duties after the 3hr VES at Lysty last year which nearly broke me. Now carries me to work most days. '93 Orange Clockwork, owned by me from new. A bunch of upgrades recently by hand-me-downs off other bikes and good deals from Rotorburners. Zee gears courtesy of Merc-blue, chainring from Moorey, brakes and wheels from an accidental trade with Plankosaurus. Thanks folks!

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Commuter.

2015 Norco Threshold 105.

Carbon, solid components, discs. Whats not to like? I think I clocked up like 1500Kms last year, Thats enough for me.

-Shaun

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's my steed, inherited from the old man and spruced up a little. Was an old Apollo mtb frame, now does the uni commutes and river pavement runs. Really enjoy riding it, even if the brakes are a little sketchy.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
View attachment 323350

This is my daily ride, an old Kona Paddywagon. Love this bike. After all these years it fits like an old leather work-glove, dialled. Log about 20km a day on it riding to work and home.
Been meaning to comment on this post.

I had a Paddywagon too... and by God it fitted me well. The geo on that bike was *dialled*:

No bike has ever fitted me better. Really wanted to set it up with gears but ended up selling it 'cause singlespeed & knees...