Post your Roadie

Dicky

Punter God
McBain said:
Yeah, but it is Campag - can't go questioning their decisions, that's heresy!
I find it completely hilarious that Campag still produce "high-end" square taper cranksets. Come on guys, your major competitor is two generations ahead of you...

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Dicky said:
I find it completely hilarious that Campag still produce "high-end" square taper cranksets. Come on guys, your major competitor is two generations ahead of you...
It's all about 'Bling'! The seriously hardcore rider will still put those cranks on simply because:
1. They're more exotic, and
2. You just can't have Japanese or Taiwanese components on a europian frame.
We've all given into these 'rules' before.

Dicky

Punter God
Squidly Didly said:
It's all about 'Bling'! The seriously hardcore rider will still put those cranks on simply because:
1. They're more exotic, and
2. You just can't have Japanese or Taiwanese components on a european frame.
We've all given into these 'rules' before.
Yeah, i know.
Campag (on a lugged steel frame) is about as close to art as road cycling gets, but they're still waaay behind the times as far as technological advancement goes.

Squid, I think this is the first time you have preached retro over technology to me.... how ironic. :D

*rides 3 speed dragster to shops for lunch*

Dicky

Punter God
[offtopic]

sam__kent said:
Why is ISIS better than square taper anyway? Is it less prone to wear?
Stiffer, stronger, less damaging to your cranks.

roughly double the BB axle diameter = a hell of a lot more stiffness.

It's also pressfit onto a spline (cassette style), instead of banged with a hammer onto a tapered axle (hence the name square taper) then the crank bolt reefed up really tight... or basically the "jam a washer in it" school of mechanics.

[/offtopic]

sam__kent

Likes Bikes
Sam kent's farkin roadie

It's a 1997 Hinault "Sled". I got it 2nd-hand from a guy who bought it in France. It's a bit different: Genius Forks and Altec Frame. It looks pretty sweet, despite the scratches. I'll get some outdoor, day light photos later if anyone's interested.

cheers

hippy

Likes Bikes

Current race bike, replaced soon with Cervelo Team Soloist

First road bike, bought used for $70 about 10 years ago?

Street fixie "Vegemite" (work in progress)

Mattyman

Likes Bikes
Heya!

Finally! A roadie thread!!

Here's my beauts for flying around London......

Dont know how to post pics so check the links for pics!

1. 2003 Bianchi SL3 - Campag Veloce 9 speed, all standard aside from the bling new Ksyrium SL SSC wheelset.

http://groups.msn.com/Matt-J-Krosch/variouspictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=51

2. 2004 Raleigh Chopper - for London city caaarrroooooosssiiiinnnn!!!

http://groups.msn.com/Matt-J-Krosch/variouspictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=41

Enjoy!

Mattyman

hippy

Likes Bikes
sam__kent said:
Hey hippy, saw your vegemite on Fixed Gear Gallery .com and thought that was pretty cool!
Thanks. I want to build another one using a newer frame. My White Industries ENO hub has just arrived so I can go fixed or ss on a vertical dropout frame.. YAY!
I want to build it into some deep-v rims (purely for looks) and fit it to this newer frame that I'm yet to find.. outbid on a Cannondale on ebay this morning... doh!

ThylacineCycles

Likes Bikes
sam__kent said:
That's a pretty cool looking machine. Got any info on Thylacine? Are those wheels off a Cannondale by any chance?

Edit: Just had a look at http://www.thylacinecycles.com and figure that it's you. Awesome stuff - I always like to see an Australian builder.
Yup, that's me, Mr.Thylacine. I'm not a 'builder' though, I'm the evil owner/designer/slave driver type guy.

The wheels are Tune hubs laced to the new DT RR1.1 rims. 1350g of go fast gold pimpness. Yummayyyy.

FYI roadies are just one thing we make. We also do mountain bikes, singlespeeds, fixies....you name it. Pretty pictures can be found at www.thylacinecycles.com/gallery[/url]

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Just picked this one up from Hard Nox pretty cheap, features Dura-Ace goodies.

I need:
Seatpost, Seat, Pedals + Shoes, Griptape, Tyres... for now. Later on I will need a larger frame, headset and stem.

Bodin

GMBC
My roadie training bike that helps me rack up the miles I need for Enduro XC racing:

Frame: Reynolds 853 steel
Fork: Profile carbon
Wheels: Dura-Ace front hub, Shimano 600 rear, Mavic CXP33 rims
Group: 105 with Ultegra rear mech

A comfortable couch of a bike that I love riding and will probably own forever[/img]

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
here's my new khs road bike. built from scratch. spec is as follows:

frame: KHS 700
fork: carbon
headset: 1 1/8th FSA
derailleur Front:Shimano Dura-ace
Rear:Shimano 105 7 spd.
crankset: Shimano 105
shifters: Shimano 105
cassette:
chain: