Post your Roadie

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate ! I run a Trek shop so yeah, I'm well aware of the bottom bracket issues. For reference, the best fix, which shit's me that it even needs a 'fix', is to replace them with the tapered Enduro bearings. Don't get me started on carbon press fit bb shells...:rant:

Here's a bit of a post that I put on Facebook about the bearings.

View attachment 327062

"Been out for a few rides after fitting the Ceramic bearings. I should have done a real world test like descending my street only coasting and seeing the difference in max speed. Oh well. Anyway, I ride my bike enough to be able to tell and it definitely rolls smoother and holds speed much easier. I also reduced the tension the spring clip had on the pawls in the rear wheel and the rolling time extended to 1min 55sec. Having said that, if I only put the bare minimum of grease in the steel bearings and cut away the inner lip of the seals to reduce drag, I wonder if it would have had the same effect ? I'll never know because I'm lazy as shit and I'm not swapping them out until they wear out ! Bottom line...The Domane is feeling on point right now. Just need to sort the engine out."

I wouldn't recommend the bearings at full retail, I only bought them because they were going ridiculously cheap from the wholesaler.

Oh, I will add that my comment about the Giant bars being the best, that is in reference to the tops being a comfortable shape and the drops a good height. In an effort to improve fitness, I've been doing sprint intervals and i feel like I'm going to snap these bars when sprinting in the lower section of the drops. The forward section, just under the levers is fine though. I know i'm really not going to break them but they are super flexy and it's pretty unnerving. Carbon bars have saved my hand on the longer rides though.
What grease where you using in the hub? Last hub rebuild I did I used some Tri flow and then blew it out with the air blower and worked a treat. Loosening the pawl spring is a good call as they are always so bloody tight and won't let the pawl retract enough to stop the drag. I use ceramic bearings in the race wheels and they are quicker to spin up and retain the rotation in comparison to my kysrium elites but that's like pushing a box through the wind.

Don't the tapered euro bearings have their own issues? I have one bike with bb30 and the other pf86 and the press fit is rooted after 6 months. Bb30 still golden after two years. Should replace them actually.....

I love my pro LT bars. Cheap. Light. Good bend. Harsh as all frig on a long ride on the course chip roads.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Picked up my first Roadie a couple of days ago.
Took it for its first climb this morning.

Giant TCR Pro

Nice rig man! I still proclaim that Giant make a ripper bike and so hard to beat bang for buck and resale.

Enjoy the hills mate as that's a weapon

Matt C

Likes Dirt
What's you opinion on the AW3's?

I got a set (25mm) from my local dealer and was down to the casing in around 2000km on the rear with a bit longer on the front - all road, no gravel. They recon they've never seen such quick wear and told me they would send them back to look at warranty but obviously nothing eventuated.

I get 4-5K+ out of Conti GP4's (again 25mm) for reference and they seem to have similar puncture resistance.
Hey mate, I haven't had them on for that long to be honest. I replaced them because I ride on gravel a lot and the R3's cut up pretty badly. The rolling resistance of the AW3's is pretty good. Certainly don't notice them dragging anyway. Weird that trek didn't warranty them. They are pretty good on that side of things.

I'm replacing them with GP4's on monday just because I miss the suppleness of the Challange Stradas I had but sent back after 2 ride because of issues with them blowing off the rims. Apparently it's a widely known issue with them. I did a bit of research into tyres last week and now know why everyone wants GP4's. Yeah, I'm finally on that train...haha.

Oh yeah, The GP4's look to have similar puncture resistance to the AW3 Hard Case, not the Hard Case Lites which just has an extra 'belt' in the centre.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
What grease where you using in the hub? Last hub rebuild I did I used some Tri flow and then blew it out with the air blower and worked a treat. Loosening the pawl spring is a good call as they are always so bloody tight and won't let the pawl retract enough to stop the drag. I use ceramic bearings in the race wheels and they are quicker to spin up and retain the rotation in comparison to my kysrium elites but that's like pushing a box through the wind.

Don't the tapered euro bearings have their own issues? I have one bike with bb30 and the other pf86 and the press fit is rooted after 6 months. Bb30 still golden after two years. Should replace them actually.....

I love my pro LT bars. Cheap. Light. Good bend. Harsh as all frig on a long ride on the course chip roads.
I use Motorex Green Grease. I pack them solid for longevity but Domane wont be commuted on in the rain so I realized I don't need that overkill. The only thing I think Triflow is good for is cables ;p.
I'm not sure I could go back to alloy bars as my hands get sore pretty quickly but carbon bars have sorted that.

The taper on the Enduro bearings is barely noticeable. To be honest, if they didn't come with the sticker saying which way they go in I wouldn't have known. Actually, it was obvious after I read that but barely. PF86 is different than the Trek BB90. Is it the bearings that have worn in the BB86 or the frame ?

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Hey Matty

It appears there was a frame issue that was more elliptical than true circular. It was placing undue pressure in certain rotations. Funny thing is when I stripped it this morning to have a good look I had always had a few issues to get the bearing out I put a new set in and greased the bejeebers out of it and took it for a spin and it felt fine.

Taking the giant back to the shop next week to get it looked at and see what they say. To be honest I ain't that phased. I use it as a training bike and flog it senseless. Only issues is the race bike is sram and the giant is ultegra. Takes a few minutes to remember the shifting pattern.

Triflow rocks! Used to use it on my bmx race hubs with all the dirt and stuff. Was faultless.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys,

Couldn't be more happy with the bike.
2nd big ride this morning. Ended up doing a Mt Dandenong Crux. Should have got into this road bike thing a long time ago. Lovin it.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Hey Matty

...Only issues is the race bike is sram and the giant is ultegra. Takes a few minutes to remember the shifting pattern.
I do the same between my bikes. Sometimes try to upshift with the brake lever with Campag and downshift with a non existent thumb shifter with the Dura Ace.

Cheers guys,

Couldn't be more happy with the bike.
2nd big ride this morning. Ended up doing a Mt Dandenong Crux. Should have got into this road bike thing a long time ago. Lovin it.
Great ride mate !

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Starting the crux with inverness Rd is brutal.
Lol yeah dont know what I was thinking, but did do the 1/20 as the last climb.

The new bike is going really well, just clicked 600km and has now completed Donna Buang and a Kinglake circuit.

That look looks awesome. Did that come out right.
Kit will go well with it.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Been getting a hammering with this wet weather here, roll on the summer.

Its halfway through its diet as they are no lightweight straight off the shelf, so far...

FSA Crank - Sram Red
FSA SLK seatpost - 3T Team Stylus
FSA SLK stem - 100mm 3T Team stealth (110mm 3T team in pic)
FSA Handlebars - 3T Erganova team stealth
FSA PF30 BB - Kogel ceramic
Fizik saddle - Spech Power Pro
Ultegra 11-25 cass - Dura-ace 11-28
Conti tyres and tubes - Schwalbe One Pro tubeless

In the next week when the rims arrive

Hed Ardennes GP+ wheelset - Nextie 38mm carbon tubeless, Tune King/Kong 100x12 142x12 hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes.
Shimano 140mm freeza centrelock rotors - Sram Centreline 140's

Down from ~8kg (with pedals, cages, garmin mount ect) to ~7.5kg, the wheelset and rotors will drop about 400g off it and bring it to about ~7.1kg

Only thing left to swap now is the groupset ;)

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
After my 3 week old 2016 Supersix Evo got involved in a serious accident I needed a replacement.
It took a few weeks of arguing and after giving away my anal virginity to the insurance company I finally got a new bike.

Here it is:

six disc.jpg

Nautonier

Eats Squid
My hill climbing weapon tipping the scales at 6.5kg. Fully custom build - costs a lot of $$ to get a bike down to this kind of weight, even with scouring the net for deals on parts etc...

It's done a 3048m hill climb (Haleakala, Maui), you really notice the light weight on big climbs like that.

Tarmac.jpg