Post your Roadie

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Realised that I'd neglected to post my roadie.. Received this a few months back after many months of researching and test riding. Like many, I've ended up riding on the road more than the trails given that I can just roll out the front door so easily. However, I was keen to bring across some of the technology from the MTB to the road bike as well - in particular, disc brakes. Spec as below:

• Custom Mosaic RT-2D (titanium) with 142x12mm thru-axle, additional bidon bolt for Specialized SWAT, English threaded BB
  • Whisky 9 thru-axle fork (15mm)
  • Chris King headset/BB
  • Ultegra di2 hydro groupset
  • Fizik cockpit (R1 post, R3 bar/stem)
  • Curve 38mm TLR rims laced to White Industry CLDs with Sapims
  • Schwalbe One 25mm tubeless rubber (yet to set up tubeless)
  • Selle SMP Dynamic saddle
  • Specialized SWAT system - frame-mounted box for tube/CO2/levers/Multi-tool
  • Stages power meter

Roadie.jpg

Skarajew

Likes Bikes
Jumped on the trek bandwagon..

Madone 6 in the project one custom colors. Red22 compact and aelous3 wheels. Was the display bike at TFM port melbourne for project one. Very stiff and responsive!

madone.jpg

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I'm amazed how fickle the roadie crowd are. Rim brakes are sooooo 2014. A morning bunch rolled past a few days back and 4 out of 5 bikes was disc braked.
How embarrassed was I still running old rim brakes.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm amazed how fickle the roadie crowd are. Rim brakes are sooooo 2014. A morning bunch rolled past a few days back and 4 out of 5 bikes was disc braked.
Pfft ... Nothing like mtb'ers with dropper posts and 1x drivetrains

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Are disc brakes bikes still not allowed in UCI events?

scblack

Leucocholic
But you also have to think about what the bike manufacturers offer for us to buy. If the frame/model you want has disc brakes you are not going to go elsewhere for that one reason. A BIG factor in the disc brake road thing is a marketing truism. Give the market something new and many people will buy it.

I ride DH with hydro disc brakes. I also have a high end carbon roadie with rim brakes. Never once have I wished for discs on the roadie. And I do ride the roadie in all weather conditions, commuting to work three days a week, rain hail or shine.

Braking on a road bike is not that much of an issue to me. The narrow tyres, the fact you are always on a good road surface mean the TYRE is the factor that limits your braking efficiency, not the rim brake.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
. the TYRE is the factor that limits your braking efficiency, not the rim brake.
This is the single most important factor in making disc brakes so valuable for road bikes - with such a fine line of traction, the extra modulation of discs is a godsend. You'd be nuts to think rim brakes are as good...

Aside from seriously questioning the theory of always been a good road surface... Not anywhere I've ridden can you rely on consistand and predictable surfaces!!

Sure rims brakes work ok most of the time, but there is no reason to not go discs. Its all advantage.

scblack

Leucocholic
This is the single most important factor in making disc brakes so valuable for road bikes - with such a fine line of traction, the extra modulation of discs is a godsend. You'd be nuts to think rim brakes are as good...

Aside from seriously questioning the theory of always been a good road surface... Not anywhere I've ridden can you rely on consistand and predictable surfaces!!

Sure rims brakes work ok most of the time, but there is no reason to not go discs. Its all advantage.
Well its a nice little argument from you BUT:

You'd be nuts to think rim brakes are as good....
That is not what I said at all. What I "actually" said was that I have never wished for more brake than rim brakes on a roadie.

Wow, do you actually have trouble braking with a roadie, on the roads? Can't say I have ever had an issue with road surface screwing up my braking. The closest I can think of causing an issue is if there is some gravel or dirt left around. Broken surfaces do occur, but you keep your eyes open and ride to allow for those conditions.

Except for the disadvantages listed by Pistonbroke:
  • Cost
  • Weight
  • Reliability

I'll add:
  • Complexity
  • Non integration with other road wheels/frames

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yikes, settle petal. You must be a roadie... :behindsofa:

Discs are awesome. Even if I agreed with all the above (or could be arsed correcting some misinterpretation), they're just nicer to use. Rims brakes I just hated, wooden and primative.

In skilled hands in good conditions, the differences are no doubt marginal - its the extremes where they excel. That broken surface you didnt see hiding in the shadows in time, that car that pulled out when you're doing 60 clicks down a hill, that late corner entry you overcooked and you're balancing the lock up point whilst trying to stay on the bitument. In short, being able to push that little harder into less than ideal conditions.

ie being a mountain biker and a bit of a hoon at heart - hence I think the reason "real" roadies tend to not get it.

As you were.

Last edited: