Post Your XC Machine

Winno

Likes Dirt
Nice build dude.
I run a 26'er as well and am waiting for my favorite brand wheels to come out in 27.5 so I can make the switch as well without laying out big $ for a new frame and fork.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Finally got my sons bike done and rideable:

He's had a Trek M220 24" for the last few years and gotten too big for it so after looking at what you get in complete bikes, we built this.

Frame: Cannondale F7 CAAD Alloy, Medium

Fork: Rockshox SID XX 120mm

Headset: Ritchey Comp

Crankset: Shimano XT M785 3x9 40/30/22

Bottom Bracket: Raceface XC

Front Deraillieur: Shimano XT M770 9sp

Rear Deraillieur: Shimano XT M772 9sp

Cassette: Shimano SLX 11-34

Chain: SRAM 971

Shifters: Shimano Deore

Brakes: Avid Juicy Ultimate, soon to be Shimano SLX

Handlebars: Raceface Ride Low Rise

Stem: Truvativ aka 60mm

Grips: ODI Vans

Seatpost: Syncros 31.6mm

Saddle: Old Specialized

Wheels: ProLite Veleta 26"

Tyres: Maxxis Crossmark F&R

Pedals: VP 550

Weight: 12kg

Bit heavier than I'd hoped but my son LOVES it so that's the main thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winno

Likes Dirt
Updated pic.
Now with Magura fork fitted to replace my On-One UD carbon monocoque rigid.
I ordered the Durin R100 but the seller sent me the R120.
This raises the head tube quite a bit and slackens the angles by about 2 degrees.

I wasn't too happy about it but it actually rides really nice (I run a 60mm stem as standard anyway) and I can run a tad more sag if I really want. I have to be careful doing this though because these forks are very linear in their action and apart from air pressure, you can only adjust rebound speed - there's no compression adjust.

It's really stiff, light, stiction free, and very plush - a league ahead of my old RS Psylo in every respect.

As a side note, anyone else running a 120mm fork for XC?

Last edited:

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Updated pic.
Now with Magura fork fitted to replace my On-One UD carbon monocoque rigid.
I ordered the Durin R100 but the seller sent me the R120.
This raises the head tube quite a bit and slackens the angles by about 2 degrees.

I wasn't too happy about it but it actually rides really nice (I run a 60mm stem as standard anyway) and I can run a tad more sag if I really want. I have to be careful doing this though because these forks are very linear in their action and apart from air pressure, you can only adjust rebound speed - there's no compression adjust.

It's really stiff, light, stiction free, and very plush - a league ahead of my old RS Psylo in every respect.

As a side note, anyone else running a 120mm fork for XC?
Yeah I'm running a 120mm fork, however mine is my do it all bike.

Frame: Custom Ti Triton 650B
Fork: Rock Shox SID XX 650b Fork 120mm
Handlebar: Truvativ Noir T40 Carbon
Stem: Syntace F109 75mm
Grips: ESI Racer's Edge
Shifters: Shimano XT M780
Derailleur Rear: Shimano XT M786 Shadow Plus
Brakes: Shimano XT M785
Rotor Front: Shimano XT RT86 Ice-Tec Front: 180mm Rear: 160mm
Wheelset: Stan's NoTubes Arch EX 27.5" (650B)
Tires: Panaracer Pacenti Neo-Moto 27.5 Tire, 27.5""X 2.1"
Rear Skewer: DT Swiss RWS MTB Titanium
Headset: Cane Creek 110 Series 44 Tapered Headset
Spacers: Control Tech Ti 25mm
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
Chain: KMC X10-EL Silver 10 Speed Chain
Saddle: Specialized Phenom Expert 155mm
Seatpost: Truvativ Noir T40 Carbon
Seatpost Clamp: Woodman Deathgrip Sl
Crankset: Shimano XT M785 10 Speed
Chainring: Works Components 34T
Pedals: Spank Spike (Looking to replace)

IMG_4765_2.JPG

Winno

Likes Dirt
Ok, thanks.
I don't race my bike but I think slightly more travel could be beneficial on the kinds of trails I ride.

Nice bike Wilson.
Ti always looks soooo nice.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
My new race machine , yes its second hand and i was very sceptical about buying second hand carbon , but it in in as new condition . At a guess with pedals it will be in the 10 kg mark .

Attachments

Minlak

custom titis
My new race machine , yes its second hand and i was very sceptical about buying second hand carbon , but it in in as new condition . At a guess with pedals it will be in the 10 kg mark .
You have to weigh it without pedals ....:behindsofa:

Nice bike too btw

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
You have to weigh it without pedals ....:behindsofa:

Nice bike too btw
I don't understand why people weigh bikes without pedal.... Next time I'm gonna weigh my bike without wheels.... Should be able to break the 6kg mark.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I don't understand why people weigh bikes without pedal.... Next time I'm gonna weigh my bike without wheels.... Should be able to break the 6kg mark.
Yeah i thought about dropping the air out of wheels shock and fork , oh and maybe take the tyres off at the same time .

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought a 2015 XTC Advanced 2. Large frame, rudimentary scales put it around the 11.7kg. Cheap Giant branded 650b wheelset seems quite heavy, think I may have to save up for some LB wheels, a decent cassette and maybe a brake upgrade, the base model Deores with 160s are a little lacking.

Quite enjoying the Hardtail thing, which has actually surprised me. Although I've mucked up some landings lately and I'm not sure if it's the cause but I have a bruised arch and a bit of ankle pain on my left foot that I cannot explain. Went for a ride on the dually after a week on the hardtail and It felt weird and disconnected....until I got it pointed downhill and I remembered why I enjoyed the smooth ride, more comfy with a banged up foot too.

Bodin

GMBC
Bought a 2015 XTC Advanced 2. Large frame, rudimentary scales put it around the 11.7kg. Cheap Giant branded 650b wheelset seems quite heavy, think I may have to save up for some LB wheels, a decent cassette and maybe a brake upgrade, the base model Deores with 160s are a little lacking.

Quite enjoying the Hardtail thing, which has actually surprised me. Although I've mucked up some landings lately and I'm not sure if it's the cause but I have a bruised arch and a bit of ankle pain on my left foot that I cannot explain. Went for a ride on the dually after a week on the hardtail and It felt weird and disconnected....until I got it pointed downhill and I remembered why I enjoyed the smooth ride, more comfy with a banged up foot too.
Ha! Exactly the same experience I've had over the last month or so. Been riding a 2013 (26") Trek Fuel for the last couple of years, which is an awesome trail bike, but lacks a bit of top end speed on flats and climbs for racing.

A very good deal popped up on a barely-used 2013 XTC Advanced 1, so I bought it and started smashing out PRs all over my local trails. It's amazing how easily you can get up a climb on a stiff, 10kg 29er by just standing up and smashing the big dog. I still haven't actually used this bike's granny ring. Would go under 10kg with the removal of everything to do with front shifting, so has plenty of room for improvement.

But my descending now sucks - I simply can't belt through rock gardens with the reckless, plow-like confidence that the Fuel gives me. However, I'm faster overall on the HT 29er, so all good for racing.

Get back on the Fuel a couple of weeks ago and think it feels like riding a bowl of porridge... until I hit the first rocky descent at speed... and OH MY F*(&ING GOD I LOVE A GOOD DUALLY!!!

:hail:

So now I'm frustrated by BOTH of my bikes (which is doubly-frustrating, because they're both pretty decent), meaning I probably need a short-travel 27.5" dually so it meets both in the middle somewhere. Or will that be the worst (instead of the best) of both worlds. Who knows?

:frusty:

Might have to go chat with a certain Giant dealer that I know pretty well...