Post Your XC Machine

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Nice bike mate! Yeti pride! That is pretty much a perfect build for all day rides and enduro racing :)

Have you considered running normal tyres instead of UST? I haven't had any issues with standard tyres and it dropped around 300g of rotating mass off my bike.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
...Have you considered running normal tyres instead of UST? I haven't had any issues with standard tyres and it dropped around 300g of rotating mass off my bike.
Yeah, I'm planning to swap the UST tyres to their folding equivalents before the Flight Centre Epic; just wanted to trial the UST versions first. :cool:

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Yeah, I'm planning to swap the UST tyres to their folding equivalents before the Flight Centre Epic; just wanted to trial the UST versions first. :cool:
Can you post up a bit of a wheel review when you have a few more km's on them? I'm considering some as they look like great value, and on paper they seem nearly perfect for my needs.

I've had the XT wheelset on my Trance X1 for 4 months now. I weigh the metric tonne :D, no issues with them going out of true and I bash them a bit with my ham-fisted riding. In short 10/10

fezi

Likes Dirt

Welcome to the Tribe! I've just had my shock "pushed" and its now next to perfect. Couldn't imagine I'll be needing another dually for a long time.

2nd the move to non ust tyre. Did it last month and haven't looked back. Plus it saves a few bucks on tyres. Took a while to get the pressures right but now its all good

bazza

look at me
if i ever get a dualie it looks like its going to be a pivot. damn the mach 4's build up to look so sweet to ride!

jaybe

Likes Dirt
Out of interest mate Your reasoning with the forks? Do you use the travel adjustability?

adjustability vs weight ie talas vs float vs vanilla?

Only reason I ask is I dont use the travel adjust on my marz forks (similar style bike as yours) and looking at the 3 forks I mentioned above.

Cheers.

JB.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Out of interest mate Your reasoning with the forks? Do you use the travel adjustability?

adjustability vs weight ie talas vs float vs vanilla?

Only reason I ask is I dont use the travel adjust on my marz forks (similar style bike as yours) and looking at the 3 forks I mentioned above.

Cheers. JB.
I've only had one day-ride on the bike; however, I usually ride up as much as down and decided to go with the Talas so that I could easily adjust the geometry of the bike as required.

The Floats are lighter/cheaper than the Talas and I nearly went that way. Wasn't interested in the Vanilla at all. :cool:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Poor man's S-works

Bit of an XC bike on steroids only built it up today. Parts are off my old Mongoose Teocali super, got a great deal on a carbon S-works frame from Trevor at Ted's cycles in Footscray.

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Chasing Grams

Well it's been near on several weeks since build up and the bike is still amazing me. Probably not so much "the frame" itself but how a lite' bike can alter your thinking of what was speeds are possible when pedalling singletrack and climbing capabilities that you can obtain without going to granny.

I've ridden a 6hr with which I set my fastest laptime late in the day and have had numerous trailrides. This isn't supposed to be my everyday trailbike but I'm finding it hard to leave it at home as I find my BLT2 @ 28.6lbs too slow and heavy?

The last several weeks has also had me chasing grams (purchased a set of kitchen scales :eek:) to try and get it a little lighter. A set of race only tyres (Schwalbe rocket ron for the front and racing ralph on the rear) saw an instant loss of 200g. With a change of brakes, seat, rear derailleur, bars and Ti bolts for the Thomson stem/seatpost/seatclamp/cranks etc. lost another 150g+.

I've also lost 80g by going 2x9 after some experimentation, settling on 36/22t simply because no tracks I ride is a 44t and the lower 3 on the cassette ever used. Besides I can spin a 36x11 up to 40kmh with a tailwind.

Anyway for the weight weenies here's some numbers.

Ready to ride - 23.6lbs
Without chainstay protect/bike comp - 23.2lbs
Without above and pedals - 22.6lbs

Attachments

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
With a change of brakes, seat, rear derailleur, bars and Ti bolts for the Thomson stem/seatpost/seatclamp/cranks etc. lost another 150g+.
Wow - that's some insane money for the sake of 150grams. You definitely have caught weenyitis. A very severe case it seems. :p

I've also lost 80g by going 2x9 after some experimentation, settling on 36/22t simply because no tracks I ride is a 44t and the lower 3 on the cassette ever used. Besides I can spin a 36x11 up to 40kmh with a tailwind.
Absolutely. Will be going 2X9 on the 29er as soon as I can settle on whether it's going to be 24/36 or 26/38. Your comment on the 36X11 might help me settle on the 24/36 because my bigger wheels are effectively a bigger gear. Maybe I'll split the difference and go 26/36 - M771 crankset without the 48 ring.

Beautiful bike, by the way - those frames are one of the best examples of mtb aesthetics going around. :cool:

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The last several weeks has also had me chasing grams (purchased a set of kitchen scales :eek:) to try and get it a little lighter.
Why not just do a massive shit before each ride? :p

Reasoning behind the pedals? Could probably loose some grams by changing to clip less... :confused:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Bodin

My little theory is when you've have equipment of this calibre your almost obliged to surround it with similar parts but yes it can get ridiculous when you've just replaced the Ti bottle cage bolts with some plastic ones because the plastic ones you can save 2g.

On the gearing side, I was going to go 36/26 but realized I'd only be adding weight with the 26t granny so I kept the 22t. Hence all this 2x9 saved me a shed load of rotational weight and stopped me from going the XTRidiculou$ crank option to save another 50g over XT.

Guess my advice is not to buy a scale capable of showing 10/100ths of grams and take up playing dominos. :cool:

Purt

I have these super lite laxatives that I take 3hrs before each ride, they guarantee an empty bowel when I hit the trail.

The pedals thing is that my left knee is a cranky thing and doesn't like to be clipped in. Naturally the flats are magnesium w/Ti axles and weigh only 255g for the pair so....no weight saving to be had there......

Herzog

How crazy is this....I can get my head around weights when parts are in grams and total bike weights are in pounds.

So quote me a bike weight in Kg and I'm lost........and a little olde' but not a yank.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
...The last several weeks has also had me chasing grams (purchased a set of kitchen scales :eek:) to try and get it a little lighter. A set of race only tyres (Schwalbe rocket ron for the front and racing ralph on the rear) saw an instant loss of 200g. With a change of brakes, seat, rear derailleur, bars and Ti bolts for the Thomson stem/seatpost/seatclamp/cranks etc. lost another 150g+...
I see you're running full length gear cables, surely there's a few grams that can be shaved right there! :p