Food/Diet Pre race food

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm taking part in my first race next month, the RRR IN Port Douglas.

I had a search but couldn't find any information on what I should eat or avoid a few days beforehand.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
The race is not the time to be trying new sports drinks or energy bars that you've not had before... Beyond that I've not got too much to offer.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The race is not the time to be trying new sports drinks or energy bars that you've not had before... Beyond that I've not got too much to offer.
Yes!

Many of the good electrolyte drink mixes are available in single-serve quantities, so you can try a few during your training phase without having to buy a whole tub of the stuff in the hope you'll like it.

As well as carb loading, make sure you're loaded with electrolytes the day before the race. Electrolytes are the mineral salts that form the connection between the nerve cells and muscle tissue cells and ensure the muscles keep doing what you want them to do, and when the electrolyte balance is out of whack, the nerve signals don't get through properly and the muscle tissues get confused, resulting in cramps. There are other factors which contribute to cramping, but low electrolytes is a pretty major one. So fuel up beforehand, and continue to replenish then through your fluid intake while riding, especially if the conditions are such that you'll be sweating a lot.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another thing to consider is pre race hydration. Particularly in the warmer climates. Unfortunately there is only so much water you can take in during a long race, your body just wont process it. Making sure you are well hydrated the day before means your body is staying from a better base

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Any recommendations for electrolyte drinks? I have some hydrolite tablets in the cupboard..
My preferred one is Torq, which is available in a range of nice citrus flavours. Endura is good, but is really one that needs to be tried first; its high magnesium content does a good job of minimising cramping, but the offset is that it feels weird and doesn't agree with everyone.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oats and lentils provide the most sustained release carbohydrates.
A handful of almonds, cashews or figs will keep your magnesium levels up and help you avoid cramps.
Water, water and then some more water.

HamboCairns

Oats and lentils provide the most sustained release carbohydrates.
A handful of almonds, cashews or figs will keep your magnesium levels up and help you avoid cramps.
Water, water and then some more water.
Ok so I'll have porridge in the morning and take a bag of nuts, some muesli bars and a banana for the ride. Hope that's not overdoing it!

Got a 3l hydration pack to keep me company so water shouldn't be a problem :)

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The burrito is good and as you said easy to make the night before for early starts. I find the veggie scramble is a true all-day fuel winner for me. It's a simple one-pan cookup with eggs, carrot, sweet potato, mushies, spinach and I add either bacon, salmon or chorizo to the mix for added fat plus protein/salt. A combo of the two recipes in a soft corn tortilla is awesome.

The main thing is get you body use to whatever you are going to do on the day or in the lead up, don't go changing it up a few days before or worse, on the day. If trying something new like diet changes from carb energy to fat based energy do it now to see if it works and get you body use to burning it.

HamboCairns

The burrito is good and as you said easy to make the night before for early starts. I find the veggie scramble is a true all-day fuel winner for me. It's a simple one-pan cookup with eggs, carrot, sweet potato, mushies, spinach and I add either bacon, salmon or chorizo to the mix for added fat plus protein/salt. A combo of the two recipes in a soft corn tortilla is awesome.

The main thing is get you body use to whatever you are going to do on the day or in the lead up, don't go changing it up a few days before or worse, on the day. If trying something new like diet changes from carb energy to fat based energy do it now to see if it works and get you body use to burning it.
I usually eat Peanut Butter on Rye toast before a ride but I'm not sure this is enough!

jamesb888

Likes Bikes
It's a good thing to load up on carbs the night before: a big bowl of pasta or something like that. Then something like Scroggin during the race: nuts for long lasting energy and bits of dried fruit for quick release energy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk