Private school v public schools, where’d you go, where you send your youngsters?

Private school v public schools, where’d you go, where you send your youngsters?

• I went to a private school and will send my kids to a private school

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I went to a private school and will send my kids to a public school

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I went to a public school and will send my kids to a private school

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I went to a public school and will send my kids to a public school

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters

John U

MTB Precision
First attempt at a poll. Wondering how your experience impacts your choice for you kids. No kids? Vote like you had some.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
First!

In my defence, I grew up on the Northern Beaches of Sydney and they had/have schools with an absolute deadshit surfy culture. My grandmother gave me the golden ticket to my dad and grandad's alma mater, Newington.

We're building a house on the Northern Beaches so facing the same conundrum. If, (a big if) my boys get past the selection exam, I'll send them to Manly selective campus. If not they will get the golden ticket from me.

It's a bloody complex thing though. The old boys network is more or less dead. But, private schools pay better and usually look after their staff better, so typically get and keep better teachers. They also have the facilities and finally the demographic push is impossible to ignore if you want the best for your kids but don't want to destroy their childhood with pressure cooker tutoring.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Went to a public school. Kids are at public. I was fortunate enough to be in the zone for the states best public high school and my kids are for both PS and HS which is the biggest influence on the decision. If we lived in a shit area they'd be going to private (which my wife did).

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
If you can afford a private school, private school. Simply more opportunity.

It sucks, but it's true.

Oddjob

I went to a private school from years 7-10 and then went to public for 11-12.
Although a complicated story in full, I didn't thrive in the private school; academically or socially I really struggled with it and locked horns with a lot of teachers and students.
Now it's worth noting that the 11-12 School I attended only did years 11 and 12 at the time, and it had a very "University" feel to it, where you were driving your education and they were facilitating you in achieving that. But I flourished in that environment, as did most of my peers who made the switch at the time.

TL;DR it's going to vary from child to child and teacher to teacher. Hopefully you can find a match somewhere.
Was this in Sydney? Bradfield High?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

John U

MTB Precision
I went to both public and private. Results are going to vary with both. My older bros went public all the way and did well academically. My latter years were private schooling. I don’t think it benefited me academically in the end. There were some good teachers and some shit ones. Think going there made my parents feel better about themselves.

I think it makes fuck all difference a couple of years out. I’d like to see a measure that shows kids who go to private school do better later in life. I don’t think it will exist.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

But if you’re only interested in academic achievement, the results from most of the 30-odd Australian studies since 2000 suggest that private schools are no better at progressing students’ learning than state schools, once you’ve controlled for socioeconomic background. That’s also been the case for Australia’s results in the past three Pisa tests, the OECD’s international comparison test for student learning.

“On average private schools superficially appear to achieve higher student outcomes,” concedes education researcher and public schools advocate Trevor Cobbold. “But public schools enrol the vast majority of disadvantaged students … and this is what largely accounts for differences in school outcomes.”
Maybe this is where I see the opportunity coming from - just mixing in different circles...

John U

MTB Precision
I was greatful to have been sent to school immediately after I finished. The more years out I got the more realistic I think my opinions became. Recently I’ve started to think that maybe everyone has a shit time going through secondary school.

Anyways. The reason I started the poll was my observation through work of a fair number of public school educated parents thinking it’ll great for their kids to attend a private school. Like it’ll be some a magic bullet and everything will be perfect. Knowing that nothing is ever perfect I’m also wondering if once people have bought into it does pride come into not pulling kids out when things aren’t perfect.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most likely public in Melb, i went to a Catholic school and I wouldn’t put my kids through that shit. I grew up in the country, this whole private/public school debate is such a city based first world problem.. I vomit in mouth a little bit as soon as the bbq talk heads towards which fkn school.. The most successful bloke I know went a public school in the middle of bum fuck Idaho (rural nsw) and made millions..
It is what happens at home that is the most important thing in a kids education.. If the parents are dead shits, most likely little Johnny is going to be up against it...

Oddjob

I went to both public and private. Results are going to vary with both. My older bros went public all the way and did well academically. My latter years were private schooling. I don’t think it benefited me academically in the end. There were some good teachers and some shit ones. Think going there made my parents feel better about themselves.

I think it makes fuck all difference a couple of years out. I’d like to see a measure that shows kids who go to private school do better later in life. I don’t think it will exist.
The research shows that good schooling makes more of a difference in primary school.

But my personal observation is that kids that go to private primary school are less resilient.

Oddjob

Maybe this is where I see the opportunity coming from - just mixing in different circles...
Thats the demographic push factor.

In countries with mainly public schools it plays out in elevated property prices for the catchment areas for the best schools.

In Australia you can pay for your kids to get the demographic push at private schools.

The fly in the ointment are the selective schools which are merit based but are being gamed through ever increasing levels of tutoring.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went to one of the dodgiest schools in Perth, never know how much it affected my opportunities, no question I would have done better in a private school, mostly because I was laaaaazzzzy at school. Still got reasonable uni choices and have got on ok. My kids went to primary school across the road (admitedly high socio economic area and high performing public school) and my eldest is at the local high school, again one of the better public schools. My dad taught in some of the most prestigous private boys schools and my wife also teaches in one of the top tier private girls schools.
We did have a fair bit of back and forward, we were bothpublic school educated. If I was sure my son was headed to a finance related role, I would have been more inclined to give him the "old boys" opportunity I think it is still prominent up and down "The Terrace" in Perth. I don't work there now but when I did it was pretty much the first question from a lot of people - (what school did you go to). I still think it opens doors that otherwise are harder to access. Having said that it's a small portion of the community. I work in construction/development and I don't think it has affected my career much at all in that field. I think the influence of those links is diminishing.
I think overall the likelihood of getting good teachers is better in private but not guaranteed by any means and in the better public schools I'd say not much difference, apart from the Mrs of course who is amazing :). It's a huge amount of coin though for the best private schools, the mediocre ones, I'd look at upgrading suburb if I could might be better long term bang for your buck!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I went to a country public school. Had a good edification. Wife went private overseas. Kids went private and in my opinion had a shit education. Nothing to compare it to so maybe better than what they would have recieved in the public system in the big smoke. It wasnt my preferred option though.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I went private school in a shit area. Missus went public school in good area (I think top 10 in vic). We both agreed that when we bought the current house, it would be mainly due to catchment zone of a school that performed well, but wasn't to wanky academic focused. Personally I rekon having a mix of rich and poor kids is the main concern. In terms of academic performance, 80% of it is parents.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I should add that when I arrived at uni there was a real feeling of us and them when schools were brought up. You would think it was a Cambridge v Oxford thing going on. Pathetic really. As if it made a diffrrrence when everyone in the year had simply met the minimum entry requirements.

poita

Likes Dirt
I had the privilege of going to a very very good public school. This unfortunately meant that I had to associate with private school students predominantly. I have some great friends from those schools, but 90% of the students that I had to associate with from those schools were shaping up to be, and actively demonstrating that they were going to become, the worst type of entitled, shitstain humans on the planet. The culture (that I could see as an outsider) that was so deeply coveted and massaged at those places was absolutely fucking disgusting.

That being said, if I had a child that was actively requesting they attend one of those hopeless establishments then I would do everything I could to get them there. But it would probably be financially impossible. Aaaand the second they even hinted at not wanting to be there they would be out and i'd be asking for a fee refund.

Oddjob

I had the privilege of going to a very very good public school. This unfortunately meant that I had to associate with private school students predominantly. I have some great friends from those schools, but 90% of the students that I had to associate with from those schools were shaping up to be, and actively demonstrating that they were going to become, the worst type of entitled, shitstain humans on the planet. The culture (that I could see as an outsider) that was so deeply coveted and massaged at those places was absolutely fucking disgusting.

That being said, if I had a child that was actively requesting they attend one of those hopeless establishments then I would do everything I could to get them there. But it would probably be financially impossible. Aaaand the second they even hinted at not wanting to be there they would be out and i'd be asking for a fee refund.
Melbourne high?