Private school v public schools, where’d you go, where you send your youngsters?

Private school v public schools, where’d you go, where you send your youngsters?

• I went to a private school and will send my kids to a private school

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I went to a private school and will send my kids to a public school

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I went to a public school and will send my kids to a private school

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I went to a public school and will send my kids to a public school

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
VB is terrible beer and therefore an excellent indicator of the prospects of one's progeny.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I went to a public selective school, hopefully my little sons will get the same opportunity. On the evidence I've seen, there is no durable advantage to going to private school other than the involvement in the various extracurricular sports and so forth. It also concerns me that most of the notable private schools are single-sex, as I'd prefer them to not mix with a relatively homogeneous group.

The one unambiguous case where I think a private school is merited, is for kids who struggle with motivation and work ethic. Private schools are a lot more onto slackers than public schools, and while there's been lots of discussion about whether this is durable (i.e. get to uni and results fall apart), there is a lot of be said for making sure they know how hard they need to work to meet expectations.

John U

MTB Precision
Don’t forget that private schools can pick and choose who they will and won’t take. I think this inflates their academic scores.

indica

Serial flasher
I went to a private school and both kids have been educated publicly. I just don't see the need to pat stupoid amounts of money for education. Couldn't afford it anyway, where I went costs $25k a year now, they put three of us through there. WHAT THE FUCK?
I earn okay money but there is no way that is achievable let alone affordable.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The one unambiguous case where I think a private school is merited, is for kids who struggle with motivation and work ethic. Private schools are a lot more onto slackers than public schools, and while there's been lots of discussion about whether this is durable (i.e. get to uni and results fall apart), there is a lot of be said for making sure they know how hard they need to work to meet expectations.
that's what Ritalin is for!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah, private school is likely to get more out of a layabout kid. That's my own uninformed opinion & I personally endorse it without reservation.
Nah mate, the kids that aren’t academic/lay about are moved on or put into unscored or Vcal (vic trade year 12) if the school offers it.. They don’t want their Atar scores pulled down..

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went to a small private school (30 kids in class ) and when I was a teacher taught in both private and public schools. Both have problems and neither are all good or all bad. I reckon that the biggest influence should be where you live and what options are around. I have friends who live within 5/10km of the Brisbane CBD yet think private is automatically better than anything around them. You aren't going to get a bad education that close to a major city but if I lived a lot further out west though it would definitely be private.

My kids are in a small public primary school of 100 kids that has an awesome community feel. Friends who live right near it camped overnight to get into the other public school in a rich area, 1000's of kids, and all the before and after school options you could have. When I told her that our schools results were nearly as good as theirs (which they are) she scoffed, said I dont think so, and shook it off. She looked it up later and told my wife she just couldn't believe it to be true.

Another big influence for choosing a high school for our kids is what they offer for creative kids. My wife and I are both designers and growing up I had no creative options and it took ages to find a career I loved.

moorey

call me Mia
If you can afford a private school, private school. Simply more opportunity.

It sucks, but it's true.
Nope. Horses for courses. I’ve seen many kids ruined by public schools.
Your kids will do well in any school where they are supported well by parent/s etc, and poorly anywhere when they aren’t.

Public schooling for me, but I hate the public school we’re zoned to, so no way. Felix is at a catholic secondary school despite my passionate atheism. Wife wanted full glamour private, we couldn’t afford, and Felix is a practical kid, not an academic one. He would have been eaten alive for the privilege of paying $25k a year.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Public for us and the Lad.

For him to go private we would be moving him to an equally under resourced Catholic primary school...for what gain?

For secondary private education it'd be boarding school with no opportunity for parental support and feedback except during holidays...so that's a nope too. Even before you talk about coin.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Public for us and the Lad.

For him to go private we would be moving him to an equally under resourced Catholic primary school...for what gain?

For secondary private education it'd be boarding school with no opportunity for parental support and feedback except during holidays...so that's a nope too. Even before you talk about coin.
I honestly don't get boarding school. Maybe if I was super rich and didn't like my kids.

poita

Likes Dirt
This is all very interesting.
Perth modern? If it was Perth modern you would have been surrounded by entitled douches at UWA.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Nah, I went to Sydney Boys. And no, I'm not that smart.

So I was "lucky" enough to be part of the AAGPS. As the impoverished public school participants who were extremely multicultural, I can't say any of the schools I associated with provided much to hope for if you judge them by their respective covers. As I said though, I know plenty of nice people that attended those schools.TBH distaste for the whole caper is rooted much more deeply in my hatred of the whole establishment rather than the particular schools or private education in particular.

And Sydney Boys is unfortunate to claim the current prime minister as one of its alumni. Hopeless scummy shitstain IMO and can't believe I'm saying this probably worse than Abbott. Weird side note, Sir Roden Cutler was also an AAGPS alumni, so maybe the Abbott Rhodes scholarship was just a jobs for the boys deal?

TL;DR
IMHO upon close inspection, private schools get you places BUT you may or may not need to sell your soul and compromise all of your personal ethics to get there. YMMV

scblack

Leucocholic
I went to a public selective school, hopefully my little sons will get the same opportunity.
One of our friends is a teacher at a selective school. Even if her kids reach the entry level, she will not enrol them in a selective school. They spend their school hours, then 2 to 4 hours a day in tutoring. No life and then no clue once they join the workforce or uni. Many are useless from the process.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am more concernedby the comments about significant tutoring. Yes help when a concept isnt getting through but to be tutored in order to get a place at uni and then rtutored to keep going?

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I went to a public primary and a private high school. My high school was co-ed, non-denominational and about $7k a year.

My primary school had good art and music programs and I enjoyed sport on Friday arvos. My high school offered a number of great programs such as the media work I did. I've always been quite strong academically and I had passionate teachers in both so I've had great outcomes. I believe it was a good investment of my folk's money.

Both schools came with a low shanking risk. This would have been different if I had attended some of the available public high schools.