problem with my hayes brakes

matt462

Likes Dirt
I've got a bit a a problem with my hayes hfx-9s brakes. If i grab the lever nice and hard they work fine and lock up the wheel with very little slop in the lever. Yet if i do it softly i leaver slowly goes all the way to the handle bar and the brake is only softly draging on the disc.

Any idea's

Thanks Matt

LordNikon

Uber Geek
Sounds like there's air in the lines dude...

either that or the hoses aren't up to the job.

Are they standard hoses or upgrades? I've heard that some of the standard hoses are no good.

S.

ex offender
My guess would be that the o-rings on the lever piston may be damaged/not sitting properly... or that something is wrong with the piston. It's also possible that you have too little oil in there (guessing again) which means that when the lever piston pushes past the port for the reservoir, the oil can move in there too easily.

Just guessing though... try bleeding them and see if that helps. The reservoir may have a jammed valve or something too. I'm not familiar enough with brakes to be able to really say though.

Big Red

Likes Dirt
After you bleed them, if they still don't work, check around where the hose comes out of the lever. Some times the fluid gets inbetween the inner and outer, you can see the hose swelling if this is happening.

matt462

Likes Dirt
well gave them a good bleeding. Seem to fix the problem :D

But now the plug on the leaver keeps blowing off. :cry:

Anyone know how to fix this?

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bit of gaffer tape or something
tape over the top

unfortunately you got the plug that doesnt screw in just
jamms in hence cant really do much about it

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
some people have been replacing the pug with a good grub screw. just be VERY care full when setting it up, so you don't fark the lot. if you have a LBS that knows it's stuff try taking it to them for the mod.