Problems with a brake bleed

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Doing a rear XT and can't push the fluid back up through the bleed nipple on the caliper. All the instructional vids I've watched say to turn the nipple an 8th of a turn and I should be able to push the fluid up the line through the caliper. I can't push shit.

Pushing the pistons gets black shitty fluid coming out of the lever reservoir but I can't push through the nipple.

Anyone have any ideas?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Have another brew and try again in 15 mins...

Sorry it's all I have but the power of beer has done stranger things.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Remove the bleed nipple and make sure it's not blocked and there's no blockage in the caliper end. You might need to poke something like a paper clip through the hole. After that you might need to loosen the bleeder more than 1/8 of a turn.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Remove the bleed nipple and make sure it's not blocked and there's no blockage in the caliper end. You might need to poke something like a paper clip through the hole. After that you might need to loosen the bleeder more than 1/8 of a turn.
Yeah, that's what I'm moving towards as well.

moorey

call me Mia
1: you haven’t got the bleed funnel blocked off with that white needle blocking thing?

moorey

call me Mia
3: suck a bit back into the syringe before pushing more through. Ensure funnel is open for business.

hathill

Likes Dirt
Buggered if I know why the procedure for bleeding these is from the caliper up. I always do mine from the lever down, why push all the nasty black crap back into your realtively clean brake lever internals? Especially if the bleed nipple has lost its rubber cap and is full of crud. You wouldn't bleed a car's brakes this way in a million years.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How do you push it downwards? Can you screw a nipple into the caliper port?

moorey

call me Mia
Buggered if I know why the procedure for bleeding these is from the caliper up. I always do mine from the lever down, why push all the nasty black crap back into your realtively clean brake lever internals? Especially if the bleed nipple has lost its rubber cap and is full of crud. You wouldn't bleed a car's brakes this way in a million years.
Because bubbles rise.
And, A car isn’t a bike. A tiny bit of air is critical to a bike, but nothing to a car.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ive finished my (first ever) brake bleed and it's as good as new. I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out and am unlikely to be changing the way I do things.

moorey

call me Mia
Did you wind in the servo wave and levers out when bleeding? Nor essential, but gives a firmer lever feel.