Professionalism, or Cheating?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Certainly not in the spirit of the event.

There were some high profile incidences of this at The Odyssey in 07 or 08, in the lead up to Olympic selection.

Riders in the same class - fair game. Riders in different classes - certainly not cool.

Can't remember if the Fling is an MTBA sanctioned / insured event (I don't think it is) - if it isn't, no Commissaire. As it stands anyway private promotors events are treated as a club event, with limited requirement for a Commissaire.

This will change once the new policy starts on 1 Jan next year. Private events will require more overt commissairing (think they end up at the same level as a State event).

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
This will change once the new policy starts on 1 Jan next year. Private events will require more overt commissairing (think they end up at the same level as a State event).
Thus potentially ruining what is supposed to be a fun day. So no to MTBA! :evil:

sossy

Saucier
Potentially the ethics of whether it counts as "outside assistance" in their mind - whether or not they want to test the rules?
I don't see how its unfair if they can't hold the wheel? If you aren't able to hold the wheel and a competitor can, then maybe you aren't the strongest rider.
Racing would be easy if you just had to hold a wheel and roll them at the end. Everyone has a wheel that someone else can hold. Can't hold that one? Find one you can hold.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Can't remember if the Fling is an MTBA sanctioned / insured event (I don't think it is) - if it isn't, no Commissaire. As it stands anyway private promotors events are treated as a club event, with limited requirement for a Commissaire.

Having been at an event where a commissaire WAS in attendance (Mt Buller National Series Feb 2010) and reporting outside technical assistance (sponsored rider receiving major technical assistance well outside the feed/tech zone) and hearing the response opf this particular commissaire ('Oh? Don't worry about it, I'm not') it makes me wonder if some (not all) commissaires would do anything anyway, no matter how the rules are written.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Its mentioned already in this thread.

Cycling Central covered it.

This may also as well:

http://flowmountainbike.com/2012/11/2012-real-insurance-xcm-series-wrap-up/
It was neither of those guys, nor was it either of those teams. I dont get from that conversation anything more than alliances within the same distance/class, which happens and is on an equal playing field (unless someone acted as a hare to drag a team mate while expecting to drop out and dnf)

The issue is a suspicion that someone "foxed" in a shorter distance race in order to help a team mate in a longer distance event on the same course at the same time. As I say the team denies that this happened, possibly as a result of the negative response here (?, certainly their response to me followed this discussion), hopefully if it did happen it wont happen again.

It certainly raises the issue of how to level the playing field for solo, unsponsored and unsupported riders though doesnt it?

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
In summary
Yes they cheated.
Yes it is a cheating act to do when you are in a different race.
They know they cheated.

Give themselves an upper cut, grow some courage and race fair and square next time.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
maybe they should introduce a "solo, unsponsored and unsupported" category :)
It already exists - it is what everone else competes in.

These races would not exist without the "master/age groupers/veterans" etc...

They are the reason for the race, the elite would be riding to no crowd for no money if the bank roll wasn't there from eveyone else.

Some elites get this, some don't.