Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Do not get into trucks then. :p The "heavy diesel" trade designation ain't no joke!

The inter-axle* prop shaft on the trucks I work with (which is about the same length as the Suzi's rear prop shaft) is 53.5kgs. ;)

(*between the two diffs)
Truck mechanics are a special sort of people. They would never need ot bother going to a gym either.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Truck mechanics are a special sort of people. They would never need ot bother going to a gym either.
Ironically a lot of the better/smarter ones do. Generally if mechanics don't have some decent baseline (core) strength - especially before starting the role, or do some ongoing work to maintain some (core) strength they're quite likely to get injured (strain/sprain/overstretching, etc...) from trying to do something in a awkward position compared to people who go to the gym (or do yoga, and respect their physical strength limits - etc...). It's counter-intuitive, but the ones who work out in their own time sometimes feel fresher at the end of the day because they don't have to over-stress everything throughout the work day if they've got a bit more power in reserve (and good core strength). It's often actually the skinny guys (who don't exercise) that hurt themselves.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Ironically a lot of the better/smarter ones do. Generally if mechanics don't have some decent baseline (core) strength - especially before starting the role, or do some ongoing work to maintain some (core) strength they're quite likely to get injured (strain/sprain/overstretching, etc...) from trying to do something in a awkward position compared to people who go to the gym (or do yoga, and respect their physical strength limits - etc...).
I know someone that was an auto electrician. All good until you find out that a large part of it is bending yourself into pretzel like positions to grab things generally out of view. Cars sure aren't getting easier for those guys, especially as you get older and become less flexible.

I have a few friends that are qaulified mechanics and can only think of one that is still in that line of work.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I know someone that was an auto electrician. All good until you find out that a large part of it is bending yourself into pretzel like positions to grab things generally out of view. Cars sure aren't getting easier for those guys, especially as you get older and become less flexible.

I have a few friends that are qaulified mechanics and can only think of one that is still in that line of work.
Even light vehicle mechanics work upside down under dashes, I've lost count of how many brake, clutch master cylinders and steering columns I've replaced. I don't think I could do it now at all, my back is stiff like a log and I can barely see anything without glasses. Trying to move around under a tight dash with your glasses falling off all the time and then the reflection of the light.

I remember those early Hiace vans, what an absolute bastard to bleed the master cylinders tucked up under the dash with a pipe that's higher than the master cylinder so that it traps air in the master, you're laying on your back in a footwell with brake fluid spraying in your face and dribbling down your arm while you try to open and close the flare nut.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Even light vehicle mechanics work upside down under dashes, I've lost count of how many brake, clutch master cylinders and steering columns I've replaced. I don't think I could do it now at all, my back is stiff like a log and I can barely see anything without glasses. Trying to move around under a tight dash with your glasses falling off all the time and then the reflection of the light.

I remember those early Hiace vans, what an absolute bastard to bleed the master cylinders tucked up under the dash with a pipe that's higher than the master cylinder so that it traps air in the master, you're laying on your back in a footwell with brake fluid spraying in your face and dribbling down your arm while you try to open and close the flare nut.
Yep, share your pain. Tractors aren't too bad, but all of the other harvest machinery for almonds have cabins that are only just big enough for a human to fit.

You should see some of the Labour Hire Islanders try and stuff themselves in :oops: