Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SO. Forgive what could be my ignorance and knowledge (or lack there of) but would i be able to own and drive a Golf TDI whilst on my red P's? From what i've read it seems i can. Im not missing something am i? Copy and pasted from the transport.qld.gov.au site ~

High powered (performance) vehicles include those with:

* eight or more cylinders
* a turbo-charged or super-charged engine that is not diesel powered
* an engine that has a power output of more than 200 kW as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a modified engine that must be approved under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999, section 30.

:confused:

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And probably maintenance/servicing/parts as well...

Although the bragging rights to your mates about owning a turbo car would be worth it :cool:
Im more or less hoping the fuel consumption would be considerably better than the petrol (which seems to be good already) but with little to no loss in power. No time to look into it now but thats what i was thinking. Turbo just adds to another potential money pit down the track if its not maintained and treated well. Eh its just another option i need to look into! In the meantime...sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

EDIT: Oops you mentioned something in regards to maintenance/servicing etc. didn't see that.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Correctomundo. Their resale value however, also seems to be turbocharged :(
Shit resale value is good if your the buyer.

A Girl I know drives a mk5 TDI. Can't remember figures, but fuel consumption is crazy good. Maybe PM briseyland?

EDIT: they sound like a fucking mak truck when they're idling (from the outside), but inside the cabin its pretty peaceful and all that jazz.

Last edited:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt

A Girl I know drives a mk5 TDI. Can't remember figures, but fuel consumption is crazy good. Maybe PM briseyland?

EDIT: they sound like a fucking mak truck when they're idling (from the outside), but inside the cabin its pretty peaceful and all that jazz.
I get about 8-9 l/100km... which is poor for a diesel. But I have the 125kw/350nm GT, and I drive it accordingly - if you drove a gasser the way I drive my oiler you'd probably get 13-14l/100km. Normal people, with normal TDIs get 6l/100km or better usually.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I drove the grandparents mkv TDI for a bit, got 5.9 or thereabouts. Seemed pretty similar to what they get most of the time.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

She's a diesel alright. Not to keen on throwing alot of my pay a week into a loan let alone an increasingly bigger loan. Good re-sale is always good in the long run but a huge kick in the balls when you buy the car.

Are we seeing a pattern here? ;)
Im a sophisticated person. I require a VW.

I get about 8-9 l/100km... which is poor for a diesel. But I have the 125kw/350nm GT, and I drive it accordingly - if you drove a gasser the way I drive my oiler you'd probably get 13-14l/100km. Normal people, with normal TDIs get 6l/100km or better usually.
8-9 L/100km sounds hell reasonable. Do like. I know i really really should test drive one, but how do the pedals feel? A stiff accelerator is enough to stop me buying a certain car. I don't know if its just VY/VZ commodores but i'd rather be doing...something...disgusting than having to smash my foot on what feels like a brick to accelerate.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
My Clio gets 7.4L/100km when I drive like a goose or 6.3L/100km when I drive sedately, both city driving. When I was driving to Gympie daily it was 5.7L/100km. It went up to mid 15s when I did a track day though.

I do like diesels though. I saw a 123d being given the beans the other day. That thing really shifted.

fairy1

Banned
Wow that is shit, my 200000km old 1620kg Vulva gets 10l/100km if driven angrily around town and about 7l/100km on the freeway, it has 184kw and 350nm(supposedly).

fairy1

Banned
Petrol stations must look out the windows and smile when they see you comin in!

Lorday speaks truth when saying they sound like a truck on idle, it's crazy.
People up the road from me have a Touareg and it sounds like there are a bunch of angry monkeys with ball pein hammers under the bonnet.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Petrol stations must look out the windows and smile when they see you comin in!

Luckily work it close and I ride to uni. And it should be improving sometime soon, I have a new diff set to install that will drop the ratio from a neck snapping 4.56 to a more friendly 3.83. So I will no longer be in top gear at 100km/h at 4000rpm. It will drop my acceleration though which is no fun.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Wow that is shit, my 200000km old 1620kg Vulva gets 10l/100km if driven angrily around town and about 7l/100km on the freeway, it has 184kw and 350nm(supposedly).
Yeah, it isn't great but i drive it pretty hard, and a lot of the driving these days unfortunately is short trips to work and back through traffic and lots of hills. I can get under 5L/100km on the highway if I try. And the aircon is always on, as is a big stereo, lights etc.

My camaro turns out around 18L per 100km, when driven politely.
Lol, I'm pretty sure it was a Camaro I saw with a number plate "9MPG".

skivi

Likes Dirt
i was just have a check over my XR when i was washing it and felt a shit load of play in the drive sprocket, i tightened the two locking bolts but the play is still there so I'm thinking the actual arm/shaft that the sprocket sits on is loose or the bearing it rotates on has shat itself.

me thinks my wallet is in for a surprise.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Im a sophisticated person. I require a VW.

... to smash my foot on what feels like a brick to accelerate.
I am so sophisticated when driving my vw. Sophisticated people rev the tits of things every chance they get.

My sister has a 1999 barina. Holy fuck! When I move around the cars to get mine out, driving her car is stupidly ridiculous. The seat is pretty much all the way foward on its rails, its an auto (I drive a manual) and the accelerator and brake is like pushing 100GI's on a road bike, climbing the steppest firetrail ever.
It only sounds like a truck if your windows are down though. Inside is pretty bliss like.