Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Toff

Likes Dirt
So I've gone and bought my first car:

'79 Stanza GX, L16 donk with 4spd manual box.

Pretty much completely stock, save for the wildfire rims. I've got some big plans for it, but first I want to sort out the suspension. It's super soft and rides too high, lots of body roll around the bends. Anyone know how to go about lowering/ stiffening these cars?

floody

Wheel size expert
Yeah man one of the guys on here did all the suspension in his Satanza a while back, can't remember what exactly...just search stanza.

I'd just do low and some choice 14" Japanese rims if it were mine, nothing crazy. Unless you procured a tidy built L20B for it.

MasterOfReality

After forever
My camaro turns out around 18L per 100km, when driven politely.
Luckily work it close and I ride to uni. And it should be improving sometime soon, I have a new diff set to install that will drop the ratio from a neck snapping 4.56 to a more friendly 3.83. So I will no longer be in top gear at 100km/h at 4000rpm. It will drop my acceleration though which is no fun.
Its fun isn't it?

I drove my cammed hsv vp to uni for 3.5 years and never got below 22 L/100km, and that was mainly city driving, but things settled down to around 10.9 L/100km on the highway, with a 3.08 diff and auto, 1800rpm @ 100km/hr.

In the end I gave up and rode instead as I was sick of getting 280-300km per tank.

I'm going to de-register it soon as I'm paying $1000 a year rego to drive it 4 times a year, and I think a T5 conversion and 3.89 gears will find their way into the car. Should be fun.

Don't know how you can drive with 4.56 gears.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Its fun isn't it?

I drove my cammed hsv vp to uni for 3.5 years and never got below 22 L/100km, and that was mainly city driving, but things settled down to around 10.9 L/100km on the highway, with a 3.08 diff and auto, 1800rpm @ 100km/hr.

In the end I gave up and rode instead as I was sick of getting 280-300km per tank.

I'm going to de-register it soon as I'm paying $1000 a year rego to drive it 4 times a year, and I think a T5 conversion and 3.89 gears will find their way into the car. Should be fun.

Don't know how you can drive with 4.56 gears.
It is amazing fun. Nothing beats the unrefined feel of an old school V8.

Driving with 4.56 is interesting. 1st gear is a battle with wheel spin. And the seats aren't exactly supportive so I'm developing some great neck muscles. I can actually do all city driving in 4th-from stationary to 100. A set of 3.83 should make it all a bit more civilised, if less violently fun.

nskz

Likes Dirt

Driving with 4.56 is interesting. 1st gear is a battle with wheel spin. And the seats aren't exactly supportive so I'm developing some great neck muscles. I can actually do all city driving in 4th-from stationary to 100. A set of 3.83 should make it all a bit more civilised, if less violently fun.
I would have thought 4.56 gears in an angry manual V8 would be straight up unusable haha. My VL turbo has a 3.45 diff and 1st and 2nd are basically hilarity plus with any large amount of throttle.

RE fuel econ EFI is pretty hard to go past, obviously. My daily is a VY Berlina v8 and around town it gets 15L/100 and about 9.5L/100 on the highway, pretty damn good for a 5.7L V8 I reckon. Still for response there is nothing like an angry carby v8.

edit:spl

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah man one of the guys on here did all the suspension in his Satanza a while back, can't remember what exactly...just search stanza.
Breaka (Matt) is a stanza but.
Yeah, tis me. And to Nick's displeasure he's had to ride in it! haha.

Basic rundown.

Engine/Exhaust:
-Standard s13 SR20de
-Hurricane extractors
-Pod
-2.5", two mufflers with twin tip
-S14 ecu

Suspension

Front
- R31 brakes, control arms, and struts
-Custom made springs (unsure of rate)
-Monroe gas shocks
-Redrilled tops for camber adjustments (lol)
-Big arse sway bar

Rear
-R31 brakes and diff
-Custom springs (unsure of rate)
-Munroe gas shocks
-Custom 4-link system
-Watts linkage set-up from a falcon
-Big sway bar

Driveline:
-s13 G/box.
-R31 28 spline diff with KAAZ LSD fitted

Recently I replaced some bushes in the rear and killed the rust.

Yet to throw my coilovers. Today I had temporarily tie wire the exhaust back up. I cut some skid's in a paddock on the weekend and I think this could have something to do with it.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid

my old RX7 ran 4.8 gears. 5th gear 110 was about 3750rpm.

topped out about 220km/h but fark it got there quickly. luckily rotors have no low down torque so no skids without trying but more fun than sex with a dozen whores. god i miss that car

EDIT: as an idea of how fast a 200kw gen 1 rx7 with 4.8s is.. 0-100 was sub 4 sec. street warrior to the max

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I would have thought 4.56 gears in an angry manual V8 would be straight up unusable haha. My VL turbo has a 3.45 diff and 1st and 2nd are basically hilarity plus with any large amount of throttle.

RE fuel econ EFI is pretty hard to go past, obviously. My daily is a VY Berlina v8 and around town it gets 15L/100 and about 9.5L/100 on the highway, pretty damn good for a 5.7L V8 I reckon. Still for response there is nothing like an angry carby v8.

edit:spl
The previous owner had it set up as a weekend warrior track car. He wouldn't admit it, but I got a very strong suspiscion it had seen some quarter miles, plus the work he had done pretty much indicates it was "point and shoot". The carb is a vacuum secondary, so when you drive normally only 2 jets are functioning, when you floor it, all 4 open up, so it does even better in the angry V8 stakes.

Donthucktoflat, a dozen whores sums it up pretty well. You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the Rx7 would you? I've always had a soft spot for them.

Last edited:

udi

swiss cheese
Of interest to this thread:

1-Oct-2003 Renault RenaultSport Clio 74.27 1:14.27 Rick Bates Dry
1-Sep-2004 Volkswagen Volkswagen Golf R32 74.53 1:14.53 Rick Bates Dry
1-Sep-2005 Volkswagen Volkswagen Golf GTI 74.70 1:14.70 Rick Bates Dry
1-Sep-2008 Subaru Subaru Impreza WRX hatch 74.90 1:14.90 Warren Luff Dry
1-Dec-2009 Volkswagen Volkswagen Golf GTI 75.20 1:15.20 John Boston Dry

I know that's a bit self indulgent but hey, power isn't everything.:cool:
No one even asked about a clio, get your hand off it. Haha honestly, I think they're great cars (I've said it before in the thread - driven it, liked it) but there were numerous gay cars that beat it on that spreadsheet. I don't think it means a whole lot, just funny the way you sampled the list.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Awesomobile
Very nice Matt. Mind if I ask how you've spent on it to date?

Oh, and could you point me in the right direction for suspension like yours?

Mark, I've been umming and arring about what to do with it. Part of me wants to go crazy and whack an SR20DET with all the flashy gear, but the other part of me almost had a cardiac arrest when I added up the parts cost.. Matt, how hard was it to put the SR in?

What I'm more likely to do is pretty much what you mentioned Mark. L20b with some trick bits, 5spd box and some form of LSD. Then lowered, stiffened, fat 14/15" deep dish wheels and some brakes that work.

Where should I go for the aforementioned rims? I've tried ebay and a few Datsun forums, but nothings showed up. Is there another source I'm missing?

Arete

Likes Dirt
my old RX7 ran 4.8 gears. 5th gear 110 was about 3750rpm.

topped out about 220km/h but fark it got there quickly. luckily rotors have no low down torque so no skids without trying but more fun than sex with a dozen whores. god i miss that car

EDIT: as an idea of how fast a 200kw gen 1 rx7 with 4.8s is.. 0-100 was sub 4 sec. street warrior to the max
I had a series two with a 12at carby setup for a while and 3.9's and that was silly enough.

I never beat burning up a 45L tank of 98 in under 100ks doing a track day with my old Gti-r though.

I think I browse the HAMB classifieds and Craigslist at least 3 times a week. Itchy for a not Magna car...

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
SR20, Suspension, Brakes, L20B, 14" deep dish, LSD etc.
Once i get my hands on a KE70 I'll be putting some 14" or 15" Konig Rewinds or RS Watanbe rims on it. Some big brakes, get the suspension done and strip it out. Use it as a commuter and basher as the ute is mega thirsty.

You could probably do something the same with your Stanza?? Although you sound like you want to spend a shitload more money than me.....I was looking at $3000 for a KE70 with an SR20 and manual box thats need minimal engine work.

Just search ebay, talk to mechanics, auto shops and here and you'll be set.

Last edited:
Also, bought this gem, sight unseen, for $250.

1.7l flat four, injected, 5spd, rah rah rah. Needs a new hatch glass. God knows what else.

The Mrs is gunna drive it. Ima gunna put open pipes on it, as per the one I owned when I was 18 hehe.

Still on the lookout for a good re-co'ed turbo for my XR6T.... bleh!

Attachments

Last edited:

top_dog

Likes Dirt
No one even asked about a clio, get your hand off it. Haha honestly, I think they're great cars (I've said it before in the thread - driven it, liked it) but there were numerous gay cars that beat it on that spreadsheet. I don't think it means a whole lot, just funny the way you sampled the list.
I realise no one asked about, I thought the spreadsheet would be an interesting read for the statistically inclined. I sampled hot hatches as there is a few hot hatch owners reading this thread. Happy?:cool:
And what gay cars are ahead? To me no quick car is gay.

Are you riding DH anymore? Just playing with your Silvia?

Drew.

Eats Squid
I've been playing Forza 3 on the 360 lately, getting addicted to it! I have a mkIV .:R32 in red with some BBS wheels on it, pumping out around 380kw! it's rad! ;) Alongside a focus RS and a few others. hehe.

I am going to begin removing the rear seats from my .:R this arvo and make a mockup floor to put in there, thinking about covering it with a faulse carbon vinyl type thing, nice and simple. I'm mainly doing it to stop my BMX from leaning up against the rear seats/damaging them all the time. So removing them will allow me to easily fit my bike/camera gear/etc in there; and a bonus of shedding ~50kg (from what i've read,i will try and get exacts on that, not that im really all too fussed about it.)

*i am not doing this* but it is quite good considering it's a 'golf' boot. hah!

couple more.

sub and amp! ahah.

Last edited:

Toff

Likes Dirt
Once i get my hands on a KE70 I'll be putting some 14" or 15" Konig Rewinds or RS Watanbe rims on it. Some big brakes, get the suspension done and strip it out. Use it as a commuter and basher as the ute is mega thirsty.

You could probably do something the same with your Stanza?? Although you sound like you want to spend a shitload more money than me.....I was looking at $3000 for a KE70 with an SR20 and manual box thats need minimal engine work.

Just search ebay, talk to mechanics, auto shops and here and you'll be set.
Just to be clear, the SR20 is a pipe dream (and the L20b is the realistic one).

One of my mates has a KE30 that's been lowered with 13x7" Superlites, as well as a 4AGE engine w/ 5spd box and 2 1/2" exhaust system:

Has a fair bit of poke, reasonably economical (think ~7l/100km) and looks coool. Unfortunately, cars like this (KE30, Ke55, 1600, Stanza, KE70 etc.) seem to fetch a premium these days, because everyone sees the potential for cheap sliders and pays accordingly.

$3,000 for an SR20'd KE70? Sorry but that seems a bit optimistic to me. There's a KE70 with a 4AGE and weldy locally for over $3,000. Even stock Ksevs with minimal rust go for ~$1,500.

On the topic of engines, how hard is it to replace the L16 with an L20? Will it just bolt strait in without and custom mounts/ work? I'm thinking L20b matched with a 5spd from a SSS Stanza will do nicely. Any ideas on an LSD?

udi

swiss cheese
I realise no one asked about, I thought the spreadsheet would be an interesting read for the statistically inclined. I sampled hot hatches as there is a few hot hatch owners reading this thread. Happy?:cool:
I just thought you were having a wank with the way you quoted it, with your car conveniently at the top of the list. :)

Seen plenty of Holdens in this thread, and an 03 SV8 was 26 places ahead of the clio (plenty of SS's further up too)... and for hot hatches, Mini Cooper S, Audi S3, etc. I thought the 350Z did well too with a couple in the top 50.