Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Hot damn I wanna try Rev, just got an iPhone too. Too abd I can't connect it up to any of my cars, craaaaaapppp stupid 80's.

IronPony

Likes Bikes
Is there a point where camber stops being performance enhanceing and starts being more like driving on a knife edge?

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Front camber will affect your braking, rear will affect your traction. Long after that you'll get to the point where when the car is rolled as far as possible that the outside edge of the tyre still doesn't touch the ground.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
IronPony is probably asking about his excel though - rear traction isn't much of an issue.

Nor is front end traction under acceleration.

Yeah, extreme camber will reduce your braking effectiveness but the amount you're likely to be running in the excel is negligible. With one camber bolt in the top of the strut-wheel hub mount, we're maxxed at -2.3º camber. You can probably achieve -3.5º with two camber bolts, which is what we plan to do.

A caster bush will also help by increasing your dynamic camber, when turning.

Dynamic camber under suspension compression though is a bit of unknown at this stage, and I guess it's what you should be tweaking by adjusting static camber.

udi

swiss cheese
Mine is so unspikey. Maybe its your Sunday? I know that it uses the same needle as high end car dampers. An Ohlins one fitted mine, but I'm sure they are pretty common.

Cars are fun on a track, not on the road though. I'm riding non seriously, mostly XC, occasional DH. I've diversified though, the bike I ride the most has 300mm travel Shivers...
I thought yours felt similar to mine to be honest, just seemed to spike a bit on the fast hits (smashing into a log or braking bump). The CCDB doesn't do it. I haven't tried my "new" BOS yet though, but if it's like the old one I'm guessing it's only -1 shim away from being awesome. I don't think it's any problem with the shock (the CC and BOS are both so much smoother than the other shocks, especially on direction changes, but I reckon BOS's 5-tunes-fits-all damping leaves a bit to be desired for certain people+bike combos. CC avoid that pitfall by giving you a shitload of range instead, but that does make it harder to get right).

I'd like to take up the non-serious riding thing myself but I'm not sure if that's something I'll ever manage haha... I want to try though, so boring without it. My friend took me on some mountain runs through maleny at night in the clio with some likeminded people and I'd debate the "only fun on track" thing. He said it was way more awesome than the track and we were shitting ourselves the whole way. I just don't particularly want to spend another half a year in hospital... yet!! Somehow I feel it's inevitable. :)

Last edited:

Likes Dirt
Ok car audio guys, I have a few questions (total noob here).
I have a '92 corolla (haha) and I'm just after a cheap head unit and a few speakers off ebay so I can enjoy my music.

I'm after something with aux input and a CD player, and JVC seem to have some good offerings fitting the criteria, are they alright, or are there some brands to aim for/avoid?

It currently has two speakers, would it be easier to stick with just two speakers or is four (or more) speakers going to offer much better sound quality?

How would i go about mounting the speakers? ( the current ones are square; one under the ignition slot and the other next to the glovebox, and all of the ones I've seen are circular-ish)

Will I need to buy extra wires/cables or will they be included with the speakers?

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to fit them myself, or should I be getting them professionally installed?

What do amps do, and do I need one?

Do I need to bother with a subwoofer?

Anything else I've forgotten?

I would prefer to keep the total cost under $350, and I'm not after a showcar-esque system, loads of doof-doof, or amazing sound quality, just to be able to enjoy my music.
Thankyouuuuuuu

MasterOfReality

After forever
Ok car audio guys, I have a few questions (total noob here).
I have a '92 corolla (haha) and I'm just after a cheap head unit and a few speakers off ebay so I can enjoy my music.

I'm after something with aux input and a CD player, and JVC seem to have some good offerings fitting the criteria, are they alright, or are there some brands to aim for/avoid?
JVC are quite good in my opinion. Don't know about the lower end but I bought a JVC Exad touchscreen unit around 2004/2005 for $500 and it was great for the money.

It currently has two speakers, would it be easier to stick with just two speakers or is four (or more) speakers going to offer much better sound quality?
Stick with 2 speakers. If you can't install speakers yourself or run extra speakers lines, that means paying for it (extra 2 speakers and install) and blowing your $350 budget.

How would i go about mounting the speakers? ( the current ones are square; one under the ignition slot and the other next to the glovebox, and all of the ones I've seen are circular-ish)
Take the panels off and have a look at how they are mounted. If you think you can anchor a circular speaker in there then go nuts. An alternative is to re-position them in the front doors.

Will I need to buy extra wires/cables or will they be included with the speakers?
Wires will not be included, although fittings often are.

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to fit them myself, or should I be getting them professionally installed?
You can fit them yourself. Its not that hard, but you need to know what wires are positive and negative. If they have different connectors, its as simple as cutting the old ones off and crimping new ones on.

What do amps do, and do I need one?
Amps amplify the signal from the headunit, to in effect, boost the signal to the speakers. Wouldn't be necessary in your case unless you want a bit of sound quality and have decent speakers.

Do I need to bother with a subwoofer?
No. Adding a subwoofer means adding an amplifier, which will blow your budget.

Anything else I've forgotten?
Try looking at second hand gear. I have heard good things about the splits from Jaycar and they are quite cheap.

Last edited:

top_dog

Likes Dirt
I thought yours felt similar to mine to be honest, just seemed to spike a bit on the fast hits (smashing into a log or braking bump). The CCDB doesn't do it. I haven't tried my "new" BOS yet though, but if it's like the old one I'm guessing it's only -1 shim away from being awesome. I don't think it's any problem with the shock (the CC and BOS are both so much smoother than the other shocks, especially on direction changes, but I reckon BOS's 5-tunes-fits-all damping leaves a bit to be desired for certain people+bike combos. CC avoid that pitfall by giving you a shitload of range instead, but that does make it harder to get right).

I'd like to take up the non-serious riding thing myself but I'm not sure if that's something I'll ever manage haha... I want to try though, so boring without it. My friend took me on some mountain runs through maleny at night in the clio with some likeminded people and I'd debate the "only fun on track" thing. He said it was way more awesome than the track and we were shitting ourselves the whole way. I just don't particularly want to spend another half a year in hospital... yet!! Somehow I feel it's inevitable. :)
I disagree with you on the spiking.

Non serious riding is easy, just ride once a month instead of every weekend and have fun. Ride XC, its way better value, and get an enduro bike. That way you get DH thrills for three hours instead of three minutes.

On track you can go as fast as you want without fear of getting pinged or doing a Rhys. That said the Clio is not so fun on the track because it feels like you are destroying it. I destroyed a set of tyres in one day at QR. A proper racing car on a proper racing track is about as good as it gets for adrenaline rushes I reckon. 3Gs feels pretty wild.

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
*SNIP Music
Well. While Brands can be more of a preferance than a straight up quality thing, Pioneer and Sony are what you should be aiming for if you want something spesh. I know they sell HU's for under $150 plus speakers can cost as little as $150 so your budget is fine there.

Mounting-wise, my speakers literally have a big plug and a little plug for each speaker. So match them and plug em in. They are a weird oval shape and I had to do a bit of cutting to get them to fit snug, which you might have to do. Otherwise its simple as.

Not related to Car Audio......Just got a new gear-knob, hand-brake lever as the previous ones were shit. Also getting a new headlight as some dumb bogan love-tapped my car in the car park at school. Looking at a new steering wheel as well, but not sure on what as yet. Recommend me one?? Lowering the ride height, some 18" wheels and a new exhaust are on the way in the near future.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
I recommend 17" wheels max but nice and wide, it'll look tough rather than "pimp" while also being less attractive to the police cops, let's not get all sex spec here. Which two sizes have the big price jump? IE at which size do rims jump up in price significantly?

Big rims scare me heh, my car has dope ass baller G unit 14's. Thug life. Although I have a new car in the pipeline that has 15 x 10's rolling on 185's, heh heh stretchy armstrong motherfuccckkeerzzz.

Last edited:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Pictars:
Firstly, the Golf on a recent drive.

Second, the Pork Hunt Racing Excel.

Entry to Hungry Corner

Check out our pimp battery kill switch: