Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Plow King

Little bit.
Hmmm...

In other news I think I have just found my new turbo.

[video=youtube;sMqbSDORV-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqbSDORV-4[/video]

Tristan D

Likes Bikes

taken a shit load of time but getting there, td42 patrol that we're about to start some preventative maintenance on, 1000nm at 2000rpm has a nasty habit of shearing journals off cranks so some billet stuff and other things are goin on. ufi 20g td05 (got some ideas to play around with so might not stick with this turbo although it is very good), probably will be a diesel central 12mm pump, unichip for boost compensator control and timing control as well as maybe water/meth injection, ported exhaust manifold, Plazmaman doing a fantastic job on the inlet manifold and intercooling as well.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Question for Tristan D, or anyone else with knowledge in this area:

I've been looking at getting a newer model diesel hilux/ranger/d-max etc.

What are the best ways of gaining good power from turbo diesel motors?

I've seen people getting gains from exhausts and obviously good gains can always be had from tuning. Are turbo swaps pretty common or is that a bad idea on a diesel? I have a fair bit of knowledge of turbo motors having played with WRX's for a few years but no knowledge on diesels. I'm currently toying with the idea of a fast 2wd diesel ute after watching a few videos from thailand! :)

guitar1234

Likes Dirt

I've seen people getting gains from exhausts and obviously good gains can always be had from tuning. Are turbo swaps pretty common or is that a bad idea on a diesel? I have a fair bit of knowledge of turbo motors having played with WRX's for a few years but no knowledge on diesels. I'm currently toying with the idea of a fast 2wd diesel ute after watching a few videos from thailand! :)
My parents have 'Tunit' chips in their cars (200 series LC, D40 ST-X Navara). The difference over stock is quite noticeable, and they offer a pretty decent range of tune-ability, if you talk to your local Tunit dealer they can even program custom tunes based on your needs. And at least they are somewhat cheap compared to a new turbo and intercooler etc.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter

taken a shit load of time but getting there, td42 patrol that we're about to start some preventative maintenance on, 1000nm at 2000rpm has a nasty habit of shearing journals off cranks so some billet stuff and other things are goin on. ufi 20g td05 (got some ideas to play around with so might not stick with this turbo although it is very good), probably will be a diesel central 12mm pump, unichip for boost compensator control and timing control as well as maybe water/meth injection, ported exhaust manifold, Plazmaman doing a fantastic job on the inlet manifold and intercooling as well.

forgive me if there already is in this thread, but more info on your car?

davnic74

Likes Bikes
Here's my Prem, I built from ground up in 98 and now it needs some more work but (rust in one door and a damn good Buff which has never been done) also some trim work (Drivers door and seat) the rest of interior is almost new from when re upholstered.
Its 308 by C.O.M.E around 350 hp, turbo 400 and Salisbury diff lsd 3.55 gears.. goes well but motor is getting tired now so once I get my Trance 2.75 im hoping to rebuild the motor and possibly 383 stroker this time!

83FC4765-E79A-4190-AA57-A886C752EA9F-7214-000004CE61430EE5_zps0dad7610.jpg

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Here's my Prem, I built from ground up in 98 and now it needs some more work but (rust in one door and a damn good Buff which has never been done) also some trim work (Drivers door and seat) the rest of interior is almost new from when re upholstered.
Its 308 by C.O.M.E around 350 hp, turbo 400 and Salisbury diff lsd 3.55 gears.. goes well but motor is getting tired now so once I get my Trance 2.75 im hoping to rebuild the motor and possibly 383 stroker this time!

View attachment 269769
Nice old girl that one. If you run a 383 with the 3.55 rear better put money aside for petrol and tyres as it'll go through them at pretty much the same rate. If it just a cruiser, and given the torque of the stroker maybe a 3.08 LSD rear would be a better choice.

davnic74

Likes Bikes
Thanks mate,
Yeah a 383 will call for a few changes, probably go 9 inch and toughen the auto a bit more.
Currently runs a 2300 stall and shift kit.

binner

Hath shat hymself
fire in da hole

supa low compression on #1 cylinder!!!!!!!!!... I love my life :mad2:

and now it makes sense , fire started in #1 cylinder carb barrel,but eh for a vw air cooled engine it was still punching 92BHP running on 3.25 cylinders on the dyno

fuggin sweet prem too there mate, I miss my HK kingy.

Last edited:

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate,
Yeah a 383 will call for a few changes, probably go 9 inch and toughen the auto a bit more.
Currently runs a 2300 stall and shift kit.
Depending on your intended use the T400 should handle the 383. As you're running a higher than standard stall converter I imagine you've got some type of shift kit as well? If not rather than playing with a 3 speed why not look into something more modern. A 4 or 5 speed auto would allow you to keep a shorter rear for better acceleration but maintain some form of highway cruise ability.

What is your aim for the car? It's been a while since I've delt with old school muscle but as cruisers they are so cool.

floody

Wheel size expert
Just a parting shot, with the rideheight, camber, spring rate and tyrestretch I have I'll probably understeer upside down in flames through a kindergarten and be thrown into a sharp objects factory full of hard working families soon.

:tongue-new:

In reality the chassis is fairly sorted now, I want to adjust a little toe-in out of the rear end and install some roll centre adjuster balljoints into my front LCAs when I get time, but it drives really nicely now, quite taut and responsive for a 25 year old car.
Slapped the hotside back together with a stock 'cooler to get it driving around while I finish collecting bits to upgrade the hotside (I have a Gr. A homologated tube exhaust manifold to fit, larger intercooler and I've settled on purchasing a Kinugawa TD06-20G turbo to use with an external gate elbow welded onto the ex. housing). Quick tune got a not earth shattering but plenty fun 165rwkw with great response and 1bar boost, fairly flat torque curve from 3k rpm up (pfft to 'RB20s make no torque').
Next the unpretty body will have 15 years or so of neglect and damage covered with a fresh OEM color respray.

davnic74

Likes Bikes
Depending on your intended use the T400 should handle the 383. As you're running a higher than standard stall converter I imagine you've got some type of shift kit as well? If not rather than playing with a 3 speed why not look into something more modern. A 4 or 5 speed auto would allow you to keep a shorter rear for better acceleration but maintain some form of highway cruise ability.

What is your aim for the car? It's been a while since I've delt with old school muscle but as cruisers they are so cool.
It has a stage 2 shift kit from memory, was built 7 years ago.
It is a cruiser, no interest in dragging it.
BUT I like to get to 60 or 100 pretty quick if I feel like it.
Although its a but tired now it still will spin the wheels a little in second gear change. Just :bounce:

Plow King

Little bit.
Just a parting shot, with the rideheight, camber, spring rate and tyrestretch I have I'll probably understeer upside down in flames through a kindergarten and be thrown into a sharp objects factory full of hard working families soon.

:tongue-new:

In reality the chassis is fairly sorted now, I want to adjust a little toe-in out of the rear end and install some roll centre adjuster balljoints into my front LCAs when I get time, but it drives really nicely now, quite taut and responsive for a 25 year old car.
Slapped the hotside back together with a stock 'cooler to get it driving around while I finish collecting bits to upgrade the hotside (I have a Gr. A homologated tube exhaust manifold to fit, larger intercooler and I've settled on purchasing a Kinugawa TD06-20G turbo to use with an external gate elbow welded onto the ex. housing). Quick tune got a not earth shattering but plenty fun 165rwkw with great response and 1bar boost, fairly flat torque curve from 3k rpm up (pfft to 'RB20s make no torque').
Next the unpretty body will have 15 years or so of neglect and damage covered with a fresh OEM color respray.
How do you find the kinugawa Td06 - 20G I have been looking down that route. Either the FP green Td06 - 20 G or the kinugawa variant. Lots of guys pushing out 250 - 300kwatw with the fp green. Would be interesting to see how the cheaper turbo compares.

I took this pic today I thought it looked kinda sweet.

uploadfromtaptalk1375945302005.jpg

Dougy

Likes Dirt
It has a stage 2 shift kit from memory, was built 7 years ago.
It is a cruiser, no interest in dragging it.
BUT I like to get to 60 or 100 pretty quick if I feel like it.
Although its a but tired now it still will spin the wheels a little in second gear change. Just :bounce:
Maybe look at a t700 and keep your 3.55. T700 have been around in modern HP cars for quite a while so there's plenty of gear for them that well proven. A strong 383 should put out around 400 safely with the right combo of carb, cam, and exhaust. A good T700 and 3.55 Sal should make a nice combo provided you don't get silly trying to launch the thing.

Tristan D

Likes Bikes

All about gas flow like any other engine; you want the least amount of restriction after the turbine so free-est flowing exhaust you can find and make sure the dump is at least as large as the exhaust! Diesels have significantly lower exhaust temps so it helps to keep exhaust as hot as possible between the engine and turbo, lots of insulation works great to keep density low as well as log manifolds, although they look good tuned length "spaghetti" manifolds are junk on your average street diesel. Sizing turbos for diesels is a lot trickier than petrols, most off the shelf petrol turbos don't work too flash without a bit of modification on most diesels so it pays to do your research on what others have found works (lots of really good books on amazon about it). Tuning for late model stuff is tricky as there isn't much aftermarket support. Important to understand that combustion temps get hotter as air fuel ratios get richer with diesels, they also have much larger air fuel ratio variation than a petrol as there is no throttle body, the engine is always consuming 100% of the air available. An average diesel will have up to 70:1 afr at idle and maybe 18:1 afr at full acceleration. Unichip are the best "chip" out there in my opinion, only ones with 3d mapping as well as being able to control injection duration, extend, timing, rail pressure as well as being able to drive heaps of stuff like meth injection or nitrous. For a hilux I'd get in contact with http://www.gturbo.com.au

I'd go exhaust, intercooler, turbo in that order. I have no idea about how good the factory stuff is on hiluxs but no doubt it could be improved, depending on how far you push you might find the limits of the injection pump as well.

forgive me if there already is in this thread, but more info on your car?
well not much else to it, just your average lifted patrol ute from the outside :)

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
How do you find the kinugawa Td06 - 20G I have been looking down that route. Either the FP green Td06 - 20 G or the kinugawa variant. Lots of guys pushing out 250 - 300kwatw with the fp green. Would be interesting to see how the cheaper turbo compares.
I haven't purchased one yet but the tuners here are using a lot of Kinugawa gear very successfully. Even as replacement cores in HKS turbos etc. I think it should prove to be a good choice. Otherwise I will look at a T3/T4 60 trim Garrett in the same sort of specs as the GTS-R's factory T04E (the car my manifold came out of).

Plow King

Little bit.
I haven't purchased one yet but the tuners here are using a lot of Kinugawa gear very successfully. Even as replacement cores in HKS turbos etc. I think it should prove to be a good choice. Otherwise I will look at a T3/T4 60 trim Garrett in the same sort of specs as the GTS-R's factory T04E (the car my manifold came out of).
Hmmm ok.

Keep me posted!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

binner

Hath shat hymself
back to it

finally got my ute back and pulled the engine to clean up the fire damage..... etched and resprayed the bay then wrapped all my wiring in that umbilical toobing, went to work this morn and built this tool in about 2hrs. It's a valve spring compression tool for VW heads......
shaved my barrels down, flycutting my cylinder heads to achieve 9.4:1 compression. I am hoping this gives me even more ZING and I can get close to 105/106 BHP

Attachments