Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
And of course there is always the buy "any number of cool things" and whack an LS Chevrolet engine in it...

Mx5 and Rx8 both respond well to this treatment.

redbruce

Eats Squid
A 10yo Alfa 147 would be a fun track car, they go really hard and handle well and are worth nothing. Same for Clio Sport.

Barra Ford is a totally different animal, but can be made to make obscene amounts of power.
I spent over 10 yrs, much time (in absence of $) modifying Italian cars for what was then club racing in the 80's and 90's.

Really, current (euro) ones are no different. Handle, have flair, but are unreliable, cost$'s to compete and are generally uncompetetive with easily modded jap cars.

Jordan is prime example: https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/jordan-cox-is-here-to-waste-you-all-in-his-little-honda-1793020245

The question is really what is the purpose, and what do you want to achieve with your "project" car?

An aside: having driven BRZ and A86, while close (for a FWD), 147 Alfa is not in the game handling wise, let alone pragmatism.

Last edited:

Haakon

The el xr6 is pretty tempting! Those things look kinda cool.

Didnt think of an alpha. Better get into some research
Two extremely different animals - depends what floats your boat. Hot euro hatch can is massive fun, high powered front drive chassis can be all of the awesome if done right - I personally prefer the finer qualities of handling and precision instruments.

But then again, a rear drive brute force monster also has an awful lot going for it.

You could argue they're opposite ends of the spectrum, but there is really no wrong answer here :)

The Alfa twin spark is a honey of an engine - https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-147-2004/SSE-AD-4922908/?Cr=1

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Two extremely different animals - depends what floats your boat. Hot euro hatch can is massive fun, high powered front drive chassis can be all of the awesome if done right - I personally prefer the finer qualities of handling and precision instruments.

But then again, a rear drive brute force monster also has an awful lot going for it.

You could argue they're opposite ends of the spectrum, but there is really no wrong answer here :)

The Alfa twin spark is a honey of an engine - https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-147-2004/SSE-AD-4922908/?Cr=1
https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/jordan-cox-is-here-to-waste-you-all-in-his-little-honda-1793020245

Enough said (oh and google reliability of Alfa twin spark, or Alfa's in general).

I do have a soft spot for Euros, having owned much modified Alfa for over 20 years and son has a great low K E46 325 Mtech we are fiddling with, but, would I go there now as a performance based project, no.

Moreover, money spent on euro mod car is likely to return much less than a classic jap if you get tired of it.

Question remains, what is goal and objective(s) of your project?

Without that you are likely to get random, probably biased (and poorly evidenced) opinions.

Last edited:

Haakon

Yeah, by “project car” I took it to mean fun and lots of money lost :) That applies to any brand...

Hobbies such as these are not judged on value or retained value, they’re all about shits and giggles ;-)

clockworked

Like an orange
Having more of a think about it, I think im more interested in hot hatch options. 4 doors would be easier to sneak into the garage and i think I'd lean more towards japanese options. I always wanted the 'ugly' 09 wrx hatch... but the fuel, cop-magnet status, and insurance seems a little daunting. Is there anything a bit less stigmatized that is worth a look? (Thinking megane, focus st/rs and type r hondas)

Haakon

Megane. Bullet proof and very tunable engines that are tractable (as opposed to laggy WRX), very cheap and very very talented with their tricky front strut design.

There are a few weak points, but all cheaply dealt with if you do your research. Huge aftermarket parts and upgrades resources available.

stirk

Burner
https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/jordan-cox-is-here-to-waste-you-all-in-his-little-honda-1793020245

Enough said (oh and google reliability of Alfa twin spark, or Alfa's in general).

I do have a soft spot for Euros, having owned much modified Alfa for over 20 years and son has a great low K E46 325 Mtech we are fiddling with, but, would I go there now as a performance based project, no.

Moreover, money spent on euro mod car is likely to return much less than a classic jap if you get tired of it.

Question remains, what is goal and objective(s) of your project?

Without that you are likely to get random, probably biased (and poorly evidenced) opinions.
Whoa!! Jordan Cox is driving a trike!!

My favorite Alfa, drool.

Alfa-Romeo-GTV6.jpg

Beej1

Looks like something confederate motorcycles would put together
Indeed. I noticed the "131" on one of the cylinder heads after uploading and seeing it here on a bigger screen, and googled 131 bike and it's a confederate r 131 fighter. US$100,000 worth of bike right there. That would seem like a lot of money until you see what else lurks behind those doors.

Interestingly, it sounds nothing like a v-twin.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Haakon

An oil change at 1000kms, a run down the Hume to home, a couple of days tooling around Melbourne and long 9 hour run back via Bendigo and Echuca and lots of back country roads has settled it all in nicely. Its quick... A 1400kg car with a 1.4 litre 4 cylinder has no business still pulling that hard at 200!!

And with the cruise set to 118kph on the Hume, its averaging 6.5 l/100 which I was pretty impressed with. All in all, its redeeming the first one. So far.

Also, it looks way better without the canberra plates on it...

Attachments