Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure this thread or stupid questions. I might need a commuter car to cover a bit of daily highway action. What's the brains trust say makes for a good commuter? It will needs to carry kids and bikes randomly, be comfy, safe and occasionally quick. Any suggestions on a 15-25k budget? Don't laugh, current contenders are a recent gti with all the safety pack gear around low 20s, and a VF calais v wagons for high 20s, v8 of course. Never wanted one, but does tick most of the boxes and might do better in a highway prang.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Primarily highway work makes an LS equipped Comformadore reasonably "sensible" - keep the boot out and let it cruise and its way better on juice than it has any right too.

Make sure there is warranty, plenty of horror stories about VF Commodores, especially electrical stuff. Holden is also one of the car brands most likely to rip you off and weasel out of warranty claims, the ACCC has hit them hard.

Any LS commode is good fun though when the boot is applied, and they do hold up in a crash extremely well. I saw a VE sedan once in a wreckers that had hit an embankment at 210, stood up on its nose and then barrel rolled 20 times across a paddock and into a tree. I had to look inside the cabin for the steering wheel badge to see what brand of car it was... Occupant cell was intact though and the guy survived apparently and wasn't in a wheelchair.

redbruce

Eats Squid
The AFM version of the LS is the go for tempering the LS fuel thirst.

VF is a much better car than the VE if there is a choice.

Last edited:

sc.

Likes Dirt
Awesome Kombi, I've seen single cabs around but never a dual cab! Its nice driving a rare machine
Cheers mate, not too many DC's around, good for carting the family around and still room to throw bikes and stuff in the back.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Tight arse wheel alignment...

Definitely takes DIY to another level. Good alternative use of a bike stand too.

I'm silently impressed with your efforts but sure couldn't be arsed to try that one myself.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It took about half an hour, most of that time getting the string both straight and parallel. Good result too, I had way too much toe out after replacing wishbone bushes and tie rod ends...

sc.

Likes Dirt
Ooh no. That front end drop looks really exxy to fix. I’ll take it off your hands for a few bucks and put it right!

Reckon my kids would pass out if I brought that home! They love seeing a good kombi.
Haha maybe some other time.

One of the reasons I couldn't ever part with it is my kids love it so much, I'd never hear the end of it.