Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
The dirty falcon after 4 years. Has to be used as a daily at the moment which is killing me fuel wise.. 550RHP ish.

Want to get it off the road, remove the tub, Borg Warner EFR 9180 with high mount, and some real width rear tyres, a 5link rear kit, sunroof and fix the body and fresh paint.. and a XB style bonnet to get some air under there. and maybe an interior change, bored with the old BA orange one i put in as i hated the black BF one.

Attachments

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The dirty falcon after 4 years. Has to be used as a daily at the moment which is killing me fuel wise.. 550RHP ish.

Want to get it off the road, remove the tub, Borg Warner EFR 9180 with high mount, and some real width rear tyres, a 5link rear kit, sunroof and fix the body and fresh paint.. and a XB style bonnet to get some air under there. and maybe an interior change, bored with the old BA orange one i put in as i hated the black BF one.
Nice... My brothers VE GXP ute has opened my eyes to the entertainment value of a high powered ute. But a lot of time in an XG ute in my uni days made me understand leaf springs are scary as fuck. 5 link kit + a Barra turbo (....?) would be a fine thing.

Although the bonnet suggests a V8.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Nice... My brothers VE GXP ute has opened my eyes to the entertainment value of a high powered ute. But a lot of time in an XG ute in my uni days made me understand leaf springs are scary as fuck. 5 link kit + a Barra turbo (....?) would be a fine thing.

Although the bonnet suggests a V8.
Yeah FG fpv motor underneath with a twin plate clutch 6 speed.. Plenty of fun indeed, fun in the otways outside tourist season. Yeah I'd like to ditch the xr8 bonnet.. 5 links kits not bad bang either, 4k. Cheaper than the skyline rear ends guys were doing.

Haakon

Yeah FG fpv motor underneath with a twin plate clutch 6 speed.. Plenty of fun indeed, fun in the otways outside tourist season. Yeah I'd like to ditch the xr8 bonnet.. 5 links kits not bad bang either, 4k. Cheaper than the skyline rear ends guys were doing.
Does an AU IRS go in?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Does an AU IRS go in?
I've read about attempts but nothing solid. There's a few different kit options now which is great. Kinda needed to hapen with so many guys making huge power since the FG motor..plenty making 500 n 600rkws..

Haakon

Thats nuts... My main experience is with a boring BA XT wagon I had as a work car when it was new, did 1000 kms a week around north west Vic - government work cars are like rentals, but I was mighty impressed with the Barra even in its early incarnation. It may have succumbed to emissions regs, but the iron block and nicely flowing heads made for a bloody great engine.

(ps, I have heard a BA XT wagon with red Vic gov plates will do a handbrake u turn at 100 on wide smooth sandy Mallee back roads. So I have heard).

Haakon

Had two big amps under the seats, but they didn’t fit all that well and anyone in the back seat kept kicking them. Then I blew one up... So replaced two A/B amps with one 5 channel class D, and have mounted to the underside of the passenger seat. Invisible install this time, and even put the MiniDSP there reducing the long run RCA leads from three to one. Still need some shorter rca leads though...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Had two big amps under the seats, but they didn’t fit all that well and anyone in the back seat kept kicking them. Then I blew one up... So replaced two A/B amps with one 5 channel class D, and have mounted to the underside of the passenger seat. Invisible install this time, and even put the MiniDSP there reducing the long run RCA leads from three to one. Still need some shorter rca leads though...
Geebus, no wonder you hear crickets all the time. Do they make much heat under the seat ?

Haakon

Blew it up by forcing it into limp mode too long before I figured out I had a wonky tweeter connection... And no, heat isn’t an issue - it’s not a monster doof system, it’s more about sound quality, hence the MiniDSP for tuning it.

Music is like much else in life - quality beats quantity ;)

Haakon

Quality of the performance and driving for the Alfa (its soooooo good.....), and the Renault was the cheapest way into a near new car with all the proper safety tech at the time (ie 6 airbags, ESP, and half a dozen other acronyms), qualities I wanted after she pranged her last car...

The new Alfa has been faultless so far (7000kms now) and feel rock solid, and the Renault is up to 90K kms and hasn't been too bad. 11 years old though, so its just had its second belt job done and bunch of other age related stuff like engine mounts and suspension bushes... Its certainly never failed to proceed.

Haakon

My brother has been driving an RACV for a few years, and what he gets to see the most is telling I reckon. Renaults are reliable these days, as are Alfas for the most part.

Lots of Holdens and Fords dead on the side of the road though - and I am talking proportional to the amount of them getting around. Cruze is a shitbox in particular...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Lots of Holdens and Fords dead on the side of the road though - and I am talking proportional to the amount of them getting around. Cruze is a shitbox in particular...
No surprises there. The engineering in them is pre-historic and most owners don't stick to service schedules or do preventative maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
No surprises there. The engineering in them is pre-historic and most owners don't stick to service schedules or do preventative maintenance.

The amount of reverse fitted tail light bulbs you see is hilarious.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So with a project still in the throes of being modified an opportunity has arisen to do a cheap and cheerful entrant for the local sprints and Notta GP. So I am in.

08 XR4. Larger throttle body, extractors and pod filter. Front coilovers, drop back to 16" wheels with a variety of wider stickier rubber and better front rotors and pads. Lose the seats, spare etc and it should be good for 150kW and 800kg. All for under $5k.

Making up mounts for the racing seat this weekend. Good fun!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So with a project still in the throes of being modified an opportunity has arisen to do a cheap and cheerful entrant for the local sprints and Notta GP. So I am in.

08 XR4. Larger throttle body, extractors and pod filter. Front coilovers, drop back to 16" wheels with a variety of wider stickier rubber and better front rotors and pads. Lose the seats, spare etc and it should be good for 150kW and 800kg. All for under $5k.

Making up mounts for the racing seat this weekend. Good fun!
Thats 5k you could have used on mtb. Shame on you.

stirk

Burner
I pulled into the local shopping centre car park, lug the engine and almost stall in too high a gear, not paying attention.

Push the clutch in, wtf, no clutch! Now I'm definately stalling!

Put car in first gear and use the powerful starter motor to get her going and limp around the car park hoping for a clear path to stop the car, nope, had the stop and stall again just at the exit of the car park. Nice young bloke behind me in a motorbike gave me a push to the street where I found a park to roll into.

On inspection I see the clutch reservoir has lost fluid and the slave has spat fluid fluid all over the place.

The supermarket has no brake fluid so I'm stuck, you can drive without a clutch but I was having difficulties getting into first gear. Called the wife to rescue me and while talking to her tried the clutch again and it was working again.

Managed to limp home with the clutch failing completely just once more and then it worked fine again.

I suspect the slave has died as that's where the fluid came out from and I have air in the system so time for a new slave.

$36 for a new one, there goes my afternoon, sub lawn mowing for clutch fixing! Either way I'm getting dirty.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I need new tyres for the daily drive. I like to corner fast so I'm looking for something performance in 195/65 R15. Does anyone have any recommendations?