Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't want some low paid grunt cleaning his mess after he got chewed out by the boss. He'll take it out on my car because I'm "the fussy prick who got him in trouble".

They will never lay eyes on the car again.I will do what I knew I should have done in the first place and look after my own stuff.
Sometimes upper management don't know what's going on down the bottom and I'll bet they're screwing a few people over with the free service bit too.

sutts

Likes Bikes
HDJ105? So a 105 with a 1HD-FTE swapped in? That's a dream car right there.
Yep mate you nailed it. Big fan of the 1HDFTE, but want live axel. Had a 80 series with an FTE that was mint, but it got stolen. Replaced it with the a 105 with the FTE dropped in

scblack

Leucocholic
I don't want some low paid grunt cleaning his mess after he got chewed out by the boss. He'll take it out on my car because I'm "the fussy prick who got him in trouble".

They will never lay eyes on the car again.I will do what I knew I should have done in the first place and look after my own stuff.
The son of a mate is an apprentice mechanic for a top luxury car dealer in Parramatta. He knows plenty of other mechanics in other dealers too. We would all be shocked at the high level of work, on very expensive cars, that is performed by the first year apprentices.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yep mate you nailed it. Big fan of the 1HDFTE, but want live axel. Had a 80 series with an FTE that was mint, but it got stolen. Replaced it with the a 105 with the FTE dropped in
Hopefully you have put the petrol or 80 series front diff and gearbox in too. Have we had this discussion before?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Did you do the swap yourself? I'd love to do one in a couple of years. I had an FZJ105 and it was pretty brilliant but 18l per 100 (if I was driving sensibly, which I seem to struggle with) was unsustainable when driving a few hundred KM every weekend for shuttles and camping.

I just gave a mate a bit of a hand swapping a TD42 into an GU Wagon that came with an RD28. I wouldn't want a GU, but he had such an easy time it's given me a bit of confidence to have a crack at the Toyota swap one day.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Sometimes upper management don't know what's going on down the bottom and I'll bet they're screwing a few people over with the free service bit too.
Not sure about that - most of upper management are ex "parts exchangers" (they're certainly not mechanics...) that eventually got off the tools. They know how it is on the floor.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Did you do the swap yourself? I'd love to do one in a couple of years. I had an FZJ105 and it was pretty brilliant but 18l per 100 (if I was driving sensibly, which I seem to struggle with) was unsustainable when driving a few hundred KM every weekend for shuttles and camping.

I just gave a mate a bit of a hand swapping a TD42 into an GU Wagon that came with an RD28. I wouldn't want a GU, but he had such an easy time it's given me a bit of confidence to have a crack at the Toyota swap one day.
Not too hard at all. Just watch that front diff and gearbox if you are swapping out an 1HZ for an 1HDT. Evenso the heavier front diffs can bend so put the Superior strengthening kit on while it is out of the car.

sutts

Likes Bikes
Hopefully you have put the petrol or 80 series front diff and gearbox in too. Have we had this discussion before?
Not sure if had convo before, I don't think so but my memory is pretty average. It's got a H-Series box in there but still has the 105 front diff.

I bought it all completed because I am useless on the tools apart from basic fluids, filters etc
Haven't had any issues with it yet after a few years, did bend the tie rod like a banana near Lithgow but that is it.

I had a Hilux before the 80 > 105 and i would never go back

sutts

Likes Bikes

I am terrible on the tools so wouldn't even try it myself, bought it all completed. There is a lot of info out there about the swap though.

If I could have a FTE in a GU i might think about it. But i don't like the GU 3.0L (grenade) or 4.2L (slow and runs hot)

Shredden

Knows his goats
I am terrible on the tools so wouldn't even try it myself, bought it all completed. There is a lot of info out there about the swap though.

If I could have a FTE in a GU i might think about it. But i don't like the GU 3.0L (grenade) or 4.2L (slow and runs hot)
Obviously a very small sample size but the general build quality of my 105 seemed a lot high than mates GUs (two wagons and two coil cab utes).

They way the doors seem to sag down and the hinges tear off the rear doors so they rattle drives me nuts. Not to mention the headlights falling out of the body and the windscreen wipers falling off on both the utes I know.

Haakon

Also - overfilled oil by about 5mm on the dipstick, none of the undertray bolts were tight, sump plug ok I think but not as snug as I’d like, all the loom clips on the door broken (window reg was replaced but trim left off for me to replace deadening).

Bits of pop rivet rattling around in the door, and the transmission still slams third gear even though claimed to have fixed that.

Yay.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Sounds like you are easy on it. Box is the worst thing. Tojo put a Supra box behind the 1HZ. Front diff is rear Hilux so be careful though 80 front diffs are cheap. You can have the one I have sitting down the back. It gets dumped next week, 'tis the bent one. The 4.2 can be cured of overheating but it is a lump. #1's coil cab is now sorted.

Haakon

They see @Haakkon rollin'.

Honestly, find another dealer. But I guess living in Canberra doesn't offer much...
It’s a regional centre, there’s only about 4 main dealers for all brands. Obviously only one place for Alfa Romeo!

Nah, I’ll just do it myself. And run the risk of a refused warranty claim due to a lack of “service history”.

stirk

Burner
Also - overfilled oil by about 5mm on the dipstick, none of the undertray bolts were tight, sump plug ok I think but not as snug as I’d like, all the loom clips on the door broken (window reg was replaced but trim left off for me to replace deadening).

Bits of pop rivet rattling around in the door, and the transmission still slams third gear even though claimed to have fixed that.

Yay.
Buy a fucking Toyota!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It’s a regional centre, there’s only about 4 main dealers for all brands. Obviously only one place for Alfa Romeo!

Nah, I’ll just do it myself. And run the risk of a refused warranty claim due to a lack of “service history”.
Are you sure you want to do that with an Alfa?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haakon

Are you sure you want to do that with an Alfa?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
It’s still a lower risk than letting these guys near it.

I’ll have it shipped to Sydney for warranty repairs if need be.

stirk

Burner
I’d swap for an 86. Not my car though...

Mind you, very little of this is the car’s fault though.
Like hell I'll let my '86 go.

Are you blaming the manufacturer who designed and built the car? The car itself is innocent of course, it's just a thing.

Nah you wouldn't do that, passion and all, you are totally to blame for all the cars failings because you don't drive it properly.