Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Fondue it is. What's fondue?

Workeded.

Bit of cleaning then black out both lenses.

Inside had the last bits gutted for the cage, dash etc.

No room for the catch can but I wanted to relocate the battery inside so that will make heaps of space. Also make it easier for the isolator, both on the passenger floor.

Wont be done in time for the Noosa hill climb but hopefully we can give it a run before the end of the year.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Box is heavier than you expect. Check the rear mount, these are made of cheese and expect to replace the shifter bush. Avoid Repco pads.
That’s genuinely useful, thanks! I had wondered why there was a bit too much movement when started, rear bush looked ok but hadn’t checked if it had gone soft.. Does that bush cause a stiff lever action? I had put that down to the worn clutch dragging a little...

Pads are the el cheapo ceramics from Rockauto - $25aud a set and they seem ok. It gets an easy enough life.

I do also have the dreaded PCV valve to replace given it’s sudden oil drinking habit... Seems the 2.3 is prone to it. And I need to replace the swirl flaps or do a delete mod on it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The bush will cause hard shifting because the engine/box is moving around. Put it in 2nd or reverse and rock the car back and forth. Worn bush will see a lot of engine movement. The mount is oil filled and OEM costs around $150-200. Can get after market for a bit less. Mate wants me to have a go at casting one for his.

Shifter bushes at the base of the lever wear too and can make gear selection hard.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I know this has excessive engine movement as sometimes I get a knock from the exhaust when its started. Rear bush on rockauto will cost me $10usd! I do like buying parts for cars that are common in the US!!

Rear mount looks conventional, top right engine mount is fluid though. Mine looks ok though.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I know this has excessive engine movement as sometimes I get a knock from the exhaust when its started. Rear bush on rockauto will cost me $10usd! I do like buying parts for cars that are common in the US!!

Rear mount looks conventional, top right engine mount is fluid though. Mine looks ok though.
Define excessive moment

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That's a superb project you've got going here, Mr Cannon.
Cage should go in next week. Hopefully. Should be around $6k invested in real money when that is done, lots of hours though. Graphics need to go on and I am a bit sus about the wheels and tyres, would like to drop to 16s and go to a 45 profile tyre. Have to roll the guards and might chuck some spacers on. Rear track is 30mm narrower than the front so we will fix that.

Just check specs, we can run a roofrack with 70kg. Could race with a kayak on top.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ours (posted this before):

Some of the mods:

What wrote it off (yes, really!):

Not at fault roundabout bingle, bent tie rod & minor panel damage. Insurance company got cold feet as the car has done 230k & they didn’t know if there was any more mechanical damage to resolve. So we got a $9k cheque & bought the Polo...which almost immediately ended up with Konis & other suspension mods.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We picked a 60Ah battery for the XR4. No need for lights just computer and sparks electronics. I spent 32 minutes (I timed it) making a battery tray / isolator mount. Some 1.6t gal sheet cut on the bandsaw then folded and drilled. Should work ok. Toying with cutting a big hole in the guts to save weight. Easier than either of the main drivers losing the 10kg that would make a real difference!

Holes in all four folds so the tie down can be either way across the battery. Have some 3mm rubber to sit under the battery.

I used a folder in my press and it tends to be a bit hit and miss. One of the bends walked but on the whole good enough. And dont tell anyone, I used two different washers under the isolator.

I might get a dimple die just because.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Completed the battery delete / relocation today. Spent close to 6 bloody hours! Not sure how. Happy with the install, isolator can be reached from the driver's seat and/or passenger door.

Next post after la cage aux folles is fitteded.

Battery and box gone leaving space for the catch can. Common + terminal and fuses / relays relocated.

Tidy up and cable ties to go. Tiny battery is fine and kicks the Duratec over easily. The battery bolts are tent pegs! For some reason they are 6.5mm diameter and the M6 die didnt want to start so I cut them about 20mm too long. Cut an M7x1.0 thread on that and recut M6x1.0 and the die nut cut happily ever after. Worth remembering if you are in the same position. Also could have tapped out some M6 nuts M7 but I prefer this.

I was working in the carpark (again and it was hot and humid). A visitor walked past and said wow Cosworth! What did they do? Cast their name on the manifold...

EDIT: the gold wrap is NOT my idea!

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
In stop start traffic I slowly catch up to VE series two wagon in redline spec, with lumpy cam and a blower. Manual, driver is struggling. Look in drivers window, grandma!!!!

I'm buying one, waiting for Shannon's insurance to give me a quote with ADR and non ADR compliant blowers. Needs to be 6psi for ADR
Curve ball.

Ford Mustang GT. friends and family lease offer. NO fucking idea how they get the price so low. Unsure I can publicly mention the amount, but it covers car lease plus rego, insurance, service. You commit to 20 months. Car gets swapped out for another identical car at 10. Two months repayments of you brake the 20 month lease early. $250 insurance excess.

Mustang GT fastback manual. Hmmm.