Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
My Uncle has always paired sports springs with comfort dampers. Said last VE Commo he did it to, the suspension shop owner liked it so much he went home and did the same to his wife's car.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
My Uncle has always paired sports springs with comfort dampers. Said last VE Commo he did it to, the suspension shop owner liked it so much he went home and did the same to his wife's car.
Yeah right. It shouldn’t work by all the theory I’ve been taught!

I’ll put the stock springs back in first and see how they go. French stuff has always gone the soft spring strong damping route to good effect, so we’ll see...

Cardy George

I’ll put the stock springs back in first and see how they go. French stuff has always gone the soft spring strong damping route to good effect, so we’ll see...
First glance it doesn't make sense, but it depends on the effect you're after. It's also what you're new springs/shagged dampers were imitating

Cardy George

I 100% always go the other way - bestest shocks I can afford with OEM springs.

Worked wonderfully for me on a Magna, Liberty, Fiesta & Polo.
You spent money on a Magna? :p

At the end of the day, I'm yet to have the car and finances align, so it's all second hand news from me

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Hey, dont be knocking the trusty old Shagnas! I've bought two of them (for my Mum...) and they've both been outstanding. I think my old man is still driving the TF wagon I bought Mum, I'm shocked it still goes!

I'm hoping the i30 wagon that replaced it has a similar level of endurance!

SummitFever

Eats Squid

You can get a great compromise between comfort and handling with digressive damping on the shocks (very similar to the platform damping we have on our mtb suspension). The Bilstein B6/4600 shocks I recently fitted have transformed the handling of the car. Steering and handling is precise but the suspension is nice and compliant over the rough stuff. Truly have your cake and eat it. You can also rebuild and revalve the Bilsteins.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah some B6s would be lovely, but massively over capitalising on a 13yo $3K Reno :)

I got the best budget/premium shocks I could find for not silly money, TRW are a massive OE supplier (although the factory shocks I pulled out were Spanish made KYB) and are French made. Was cheaper to buy from Europe than get even el cheapos here... About $380 landed for the full set, I was happy enough with that.

The Alfa runs Sachs shocks in it, and it does the fairly high ride height with strong dampers too. It was awesome in tassie and the plenty of suspension travel was well appreciated more than once on the dipping and patchy roads!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If anyone pairs stiff springs to soft dampers and says it is good they only want the low rider look and arent trying to get power down or any sort of handling. Thing will pogo like a bastard under any serious sort of effort. As hif i says better to go tye other way, at least there is some control when the system is over damped. Like the fuckwits with 22" wheels on Commodes or Foulcans.

And they are Smegmas and Maggots. Get it right.

Cardy George

If anyone pairs stiff springs to soft dampers and says it is good they only want the low rider look and arent trying to get power down or any sort of handling. Thing will pogo like a bastard under any serious sort of effort. As hif i says better to go tye other way, at least there is some control when the system is over damped. Like the fuckwits with 22" wheels on Commodes or Foulcans.

And they are Smegmas and Maggots. Get it right.
Think straight, flat with massive pot holes you've summed up 99.5% of our roads. Oh, and a V6 VE, he doesn't need control.

There's four or five of these still lurking around too

http://instagr.am/p/BtXNwKtlvbW/

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah the Meg was getting a bit bouncy. Was mostly noticeable on freeway expansion joints at freeway speeds, but a bit pogo like in the rear... The front was surprisingly good given how utterly ineffective the struts were, but did bottom out easily.

I’ll drive it the rest of the week and see how o feel about it. It feels very planted and well controlled, just too harsh for an automatic French Camry...