Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Polo update. Wifey doesn’t mind it at all, makes her boobs jiggle but.

Improvement in one word: weight transfer.

CoG feels significantly lower, turn in is very immediate, caster effect on the steering is terrific. Peak corner speeds for the same effort have increased maybe 3-4%. And it feels so light on its feet.

Yeah, this is a good move:

All points made in the “win” column :)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
the people that buy Tesla's don't actually do stuff like ride bikes, they just drive their car around and cast judgment at the masses

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
After the sprint last weekend there were a couple of things to sort out.

First there was a bolt lying on the trailer when I arrived home. The bottom bolt on the right hand rear shock unscrewed itself so it went back on with some loctite, luckily the spacer was wedged under the bottom of the shock.

I ended up with a bruise from the switch panel I fitted for the lemons race. When you are throwing everything around in a sprint you tend to brace more and the new wider seat meant the panel was now in play so I bent up a piece of 1.6 sheet to fit the space. It will get some velcro glued on so a movable pad can be fitted and shifted around to suit all of us. I will use rivnuts at the bottom and tek screws at the top into the dash.

Before I move the battery box and isolator I wanted to fit the aluminium shifter we bought to check what realestate would be needed. The aluminium shifter is heavier but the stock shifter uses a plastic bush under the shift lever which wears and gets gummed up. And it looks betterer and that alone adds 17hp.

The shifter was made for some Honda thing so as usual it was back to front and none of the holes were in the right spot. The shifter cable brackets were also not usable.

The left to right lever is on the wrong side so off with the cable arm and back to front to look like this:

Had to hack the base so my inner butcher came into play to make it fit the space and had these bits left over.

Some new holes and this is how it sat.

The cable supports are a pain. I made them out of some 50x3 gal flat and bent and tapped holes to fit the arm. Drilled a 25mm hole then file and file and file and file and file until the cable fits. Still a little fettling to go because the clips lock into place and they are currently a bit tight. I will fit some dome nuts to cover the exposed threads.

I also quickly and roughly turned up some plugs to fill what is left of the original holes in the front and will help transfer the clamping force properly. Bit of trimming and they will match the cut frame. The cable support arm had some new holes drilled and tapped to swap end for end.

And here it is:

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Does the shifter feel much different? I’m guessing that as it’s still cables nothing changed other than leverage ratios?

Was the old setup flexing about a lot?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Feels better because there are no plastic wobbly bits and the lever is more rigid. Throw is the same because the leverage is the same, could change that easily by moving the ball connectors on the arms but no need. Shifting is generally good though this model Fiesta is prone to having the bushes on the box gum up too. The bushes were cleaned and reamed early on.

Having said that it isnt as direct as a lever straight in the box but it is good for a fwd. Better than an early Porsche!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not only does that look amazingly fun, that power delivery is beautiful.

(I would plumb the wastegate back in or muffle it though, I'm not a huge fan of the whooshy noises)

stirk

Burner
The thrust bearing on the 4runner has just started squealing like a pig when depressing the clutch lever. Sigh, big job doing a clutch.
While I'm in there I suppose it makes sense to replace all the bits.
Exedy seem to be readily available and claim to make OEM are they any good?

@Flow-Rider mate have you used Exedy clutches before in your hilux's?

Haakon

The thrust bearing on the 4runner has just started squealing like a pig when depressing the clutch lever. Sigh, big job doing a clutch.

Doing the rear main seal as well?

Haakon

Is it leaking?
There are two schools of thought on that. I subscribe to the “spend the $20 on a newbie because if you don’t Murphy will have it start leaking six months after you had access to it” theory.

And don’t just bang a new one in, clean up the running surface of the crank with emery paper.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Yeah, they're generally pretty good. The last clutch I fitted, I had a clutch kit made up but it used the pressure plate from a later model hilux as it has more clamping pressure. Don't fit an aftermarket rear main in there, for some reason the genuine seals seem to last a lot longer.