Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

MasterOfReality

After forever
if the Calais isn't your daily driver, you could check out having a club permit rego for it. Much cheaper, I've heard. Not sure about the max # of days per year you are allowed to drive it though...
Had a look a few years ago but from memory its quite restrictive in QLD - only can be driven on club says and 'testing' purposes or something.

A mate of mine went to order parts for his Walkinsaw and the body number didn't match the build number. It was actually No1 Walkinsaw that was stamped No3, apparently No1 was ordered by someone important and wasn't ready, so they swapped the tags on it with another car. So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if numbers are incorrect.

Be careful posting anything that can identify the location of the car because it will be worth 3 times its value in parts than a complete car.
Yeah the records were certainly poorly kept. Parts are getting hard to find now - the momo steering wheel is over $2k if you can find one....

Nice looking car. My old man had a VN SS back in the day, 165kW IIRC. How far we have come, my little i30N has 202!!!
Haha its pretty much all noise and not much go. My MPS had 190kW/380Nm and went like the clappers....

Did you pull a sick cunt ya burnout? Yiew!

The boat scrubbed up well! Sometimes it’s best not to look too closely at mileage on a toy car cries in petrol 75series cruiser.
Lots of rubber was laid down Crown St Wollongong back in the day, and down South Beach haha.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Could just be a sensor though.

I’ve had cars brought to me with serious rod knock, with the bearing material gone and the backing plate turned to foil, and the engines are so down on power due to friction they can’t get up car ramps into a trailer under their own power, or if they do it sounds like a 44 gal drum being bashed with a hammer.

Either shagged or a good negotiating point for a discount. Going to be a tow bitch anyway.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Lol I looked at one back in 2003, they wanted 30k for it. Was a bit rough and at the time the price was too steep. I was saving for a house deposit.

Reckon I would have made better capital gains out of the VN Group A.

Kicking myself I didn't buy it, same as the 1969 XW GTHO Phase 1 that was a matching numbers runner but needed a complete resto. They wanted $16k for that one. Fuck me.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Lol I looked at one back in 2003, they wanted 30k for it. Was a bit rough and at the time the price was too steep. I was saving for a house deposit.

Reckon I would have made better capital gains out of the VN Group A.

Kicking myself I didn't buy it, same as the 1969 XW GTHO Phase 1 that was a matching numbers runner but needed a complete resto. They wanted $16k for that one. Fuck me.
The ones that got away.... We've all got a story there! Dad had a complete straight rust free splitty dual cab ute Kombi he sold for $1500 back in the early 90s...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I do need an early 70's 911 or Alfa 1750/2000 GTV in my life...
I had a 1969 GTV 1750 for six years. Sold it around 10 years ago. Worth 2.5 times what I sold it for now. My old man had a 2000 about 20 years ago and then bought a lovely 1750 a couple of years ago. He was chuffed with the driving on the 1750, rating it more 'fun' on everyday roads than any of the Porsches.

Old man has also had a range of old and newer Porsches over the last few years including a '69 911 which was a beautiful thing to drive. The aus delivered 356 with original yellow paint was my favourite though. He puts enough effort into understanding markets and puts time but not crazy money into them and, without fail, makes good money flipping them after a year or two.

He has no interest in the holdens/fords etc. but there was (is?) money to be made on them for sure.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could just be a sensor though.

I’ve had cars brought to me with serious rod knock, with the bearing material gone and the backing plate turned to foil, and the engines are so down on power due to friction they can’t get up car ramps into a trailer under their own power, or if they do it sounds like a 44 gal drum being bashed with a hammer.

Either shagged or a good negotiating point for a discount. Going to be a tow bitch anyway.
Could be, but last service done recently at a gen dealer. You'd think they would have taken it in to be checked by now before offloading it.
Could get one without possible major issues for around the same price.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Had a look a few years ago but from memory its quite restrictive in QLD - only can be driven on club says and 'testing' purposes or something.

Yeah the records were certainly poorly kept. Parts are getting hard to find now - the momo steering wheel is over $2k if you can find one....

Haha its pretty much all noise and not much go. My MPS had 190kW/380Nm and went like the clappers....

Lots of rubber was laid down Crown St Wollongong back in the day, and down South Beach haha.
I bought this in 93 and still have it to this day, people thought I was mad paying 7.5k for it then, it's worth in the 100000's now. It was actually hard buying cars like this back then, banks were hesitant to loan money on a car that was older than 10 years, cars like VK group A Brocks were going for 13k at the time. Even in 93 I got multiple offers just driving it around on the streets without it being for sale.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Watching one of those generic yank rebuild shows last night and they were trying to fit a 335 wide tyre under a ute bed, even with massive tubs it was tight. The had an adjustable jig which held the tyre in 3 places and had various centres with adjustable centre location to determine offset. Fitted the tyre in the space then moved to 'wheel centre' until they could bolt it to the hub. Very nifty thing and takes all the guesswork out of wheel speccing.

This thing...

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought this in 93 and still have it to this day, people thought I was mad paying 7500k for it then, it's worth in the 100000's now. It was actually hard buying cars like this back then, banks were hesitant to loan money on a car that was older than 10 years, cars like VK group A Brocks were going for 13k at the time. Even in 93 I got multiple offers just driving it around on the streets without it being for sale.

View attachment 378196
Out of interest, what do you think your holding costs would have been over that time?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
BIL has a '73 HQ Monaro 4 door that he bought new. Recently finished restoring it with new paint, mechanical bits and rubbers etc. Sentimental value because it was his first new car ever that he bought. Plus he is a Holden tragic. When he was sourcing parts he kept getting stupid offers from people wanting to buy the car sight unseen. He will use it as an occasional weekend drive and knows that it is far from a great thing but is happy to put up with it for the memories.

Way back when I grew up and around those old muscle cars and had a few along the way. Each car I have bought has been better than the car it replaced in one form or another. I cannot see myself getting into anything old at least anything that is in stock condition. A Mk1 sprite with a nice new driveline would be fun... When the Group A SS was released I had a VN Clubsport (company car) and there was not that much between them on the road ignoring one was worth lots more then and always will be. The Clubbie which was the first of three over the years and a couple of FPVs and GTSs were tremendous touring cars. Easy to put a lot of km under the tyres with no stress about where and when to pass. They were not sports cars in any way though.

My journey (thinks) has been 50kW to 150kW to 180kW to 185kW to 220kW to 240kW to 307 kW to 310kW to 317kW to 430kW to 287kW and back down to 200kW. Not that any of them sat at standard power outputs for very long. 430 became 500 within a month... Still a fun journey.